Like a Shattered Mirror

Amnesia

The first thing I did when I got home was run to my room. Dad was at work, so he didn't have to know about earlier. I threw all of my pills under my bed. I didn't need them at the moment considering I had no idea why I had been using them before. Maybe I had written about him in my diary or something.

I booted up my computer and opened my diary. I had started it when I was seven, so I had some scrolling to do. I was up to the current date when the power shut off.

"Damn it!" I screamed. God must have problems with me or something. Come on, there wasn't a cloud in sight for crying out loud!

Okay, no problem. Maybe I could call up my friends and ask... Who were my friends? Oh this was bad. Really bad. I didn't even remember who my friends were? How could I not know that? What if dad asked how the gang was?

Oh no. Did I have a phone that would have them in my contacts? I didn't know that either! I ransacked my room searching for anything to tell me anything about my life. But all I remembered was dad.

I sat on my bed and waited for dad. Maybe if I could get him to tell me everything subtly then he would never know and I could find out this stuff. So I waited for him to get home, reading a few books that I had under my bed. I soon found out why they were there: they sucked!

"Amy, I'm home. I have dinner!"

"Great!" I shouted, running down the stairs. 'What is it?"

"I brought back some fries and chicken sandwiches."

"Great." I sat down at the table with dad and we ate in silence.

"So anything new at school today?"

"Eh, not really."

"Talk to the jackass?"

"No." Who was that?!

"Did your friends have anything to say about him?"

"Not really." Who were my friends?!

"Hmm. Well, I'm sure they're afraid to say anything. You did take it pretty hard."

"Yeah." Exactly how hard?!

My dad was about to ask another question when the phone rang. I jumped up and picked it up.

"Amanda speaking," I greeted.

"Amy, are you alright?" It was a girl on the other line.

"Yeah, he's a real douche bag." That one was a guy!

"Yeah. Who is this?"

"Um, hello?" Girl shrieked.

"It's Jane and Jamie, Amy. Are you feeling ok?" Boy asked.

"Yeah, sorry. New phone," I lied.

"Oh. Well I'm sure you can tell the difference between me and my brother." Jane, obviously.

"So what's it like being a sexy single for the first time in five years?" Jamie asked.

"Ha, boring." How would I know? I forget! "Well, I'm going to help my dad with dishes. See you later."

"See you at school, hopefully," Jane said, pouting.

"Yeah, unlike today," Jamie accused. I hung up and walked to the sink.

"Who was it?"

"Jane and Jamie."

So were they twins or what?