Like a Shattered Mirror

Rants and Lectures

Well, so now I had someone to walk to my classes with: James. At least some of my classes, any way. But to the others I would have Garrett telling me I was making a mistake to be come friends with "a jackass like James". I even sometimes got my Jane, Jamie, or Samantha asking me about "this James guy".

Truth of the matter was, yeah, I liked him. But is that so unbelievable? He was good looking and reminded me of Gary, who I had a small crush on. But Garrett had this attitude I wasn't so fond of. James didn't talk about Gary much and I preferred that over how Garrett was always putting him down. In fact, he always came up in our conversations one way or another, unlike in the ones I had with James.

Garrett was getting to be a bit annoying now. I'm sure he had good intentions, but I was just not too good at seeing what they were exactly. But by the end of the school day, I had given up on trying to figure that puzzle out.

"So, I could walk with you home or something. I've got nothing better to do, at least," James was telling me, waiting for me as I slammed my locker shut.

"Alright. That's fine." I'm sure dad wouldn't have a problem with it. Considering how he talked about the "jackass"--whoever that was!--I'm sure he would be happy that I had supposedly "moved on". But how can you move on from someone you don't know about?

"Amanda. Can I talk with you?" Garrett walked up, keeping his distance from my choice of company.

"You've talked to me all day about the same thing and I'm sure this time will be no different. Garrett, I'm going home, okay? I'm done talking today since talking is really me listening to your rants. I'll see you tomorrow," I told him. "Come on, James."

"Where is he coming?" Gary demanded. James flicked his brother's forehead.

"Why, I'm escorting this young lady home. Bye bye," he smiled at him and fell into step beside me.

"You're making a terrible mistake."

"So what? I've already made one before...I just can't quite remember what is is at the moment. Look, see you later," I called over my shoulder. He could be so persistent. At least I knew for a fact that James wasn't the guy that had made me go insane. He couldn't have, he just moved here.

"Whatever!" Garrett yelled and I heard a sigh come from him.

"Go home, Garrett," I told him just before James and I walked out the door. It was nice having company on the walk home.