Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 17

Over the next month Joe and I spent as much time together as possible, we took a long weekend trip to the cabin and shopped around and moved all of our new stuff into it. Joe wasn’t working a lot since he had to go on the tour soon, but we mostly just stayed together. Joe had tried to convince his dad to let me come with them but Mr. Paul came and talked to me about what an amazing opportunity my job was for me and how I would be set for future jobs if it was on my resume’ especially since I wanted to go into the music business anyway. Joe was furious with him for talking me out of it but, we got over it. I was told I could come and visit when I wanted but they wouldn’t be back on the west coast for another month.

The album release was last week, it went great, as planned and the album is currently number 3 on the charts after just one week.

So here we were, the day before Joe had to leave for the tour. It was a Wednesday, we woke up this morning and have been laying in bed all day, talking, snuggling, laughing, just being with each other. It was getting later and he was staying with his brothers for the night since they had to leave so early in the morning. I ran my index finger all around his face, he grabbed my hand, “What are you doing?” he asked. I pulled my hand from his and continued my pattern, “Trying to memorize your face.” I replied after a few moments, almost in a trance. He let out a sigh and closed his eyes and let me be.

It was getting later, I rolled over and stifled a yawn. Joe pushed the hair away from my face, “I have to go soon.” I felt the tears coming, “Please wait until I fall asleep.” He nodded and pulled me to him, “Kay, you know we’re going to be okay, right?” I nodded into his chest. “Yeah.”

“I’ll call you all the time, and dad said you can come see a show whenever you want.” I pushed myself into him. “I know, but you won’t be here every night, who am I going to talk to, and cook for, and cuddle with?” I asked. I know I was being a baby, and most probably making him feel bad but I knew he didn’t want to leave as much as I didn’t want him to go. “Aww, babe.” He said and rubbed his nose against mine and then kissed my forehead. Soon his lips found mine and we shared a few kisses before I laid my head on his chest, “I love you, Joe.” I whispered. “I love you too Kay, so much.” I nodded and shut my eyes and soon drifted off.

I woke up when Joe was ‘quietly’ getting out of bed. I didn’t open my eyes because I didn’t want it to be real, but I heard him gathering all of his things squeezed my eyes shut holding in the tears and sobs that wanted to pour out, I hadn’t cried about it since the night he told me about the tour. I heard him coming to my side and I relaxed my face.

He knelt down on the side of the bed and pushed the hair out of my face and in a barely audible voice started talking to me, “Kayden, you make me so happy, I’m going to miss you more than you will ever know.” I heard him sniffle and let out a long breath. “I love you so much.” He kissed my forehead and I heard him shut the bedroom door. I sat up and set my feet on the floor and looked at his empty side of the bed and let the sobs come out. I buried my head in my hands and cried. I heard movement and looked up to see him standing in the doorway, out of breath. I quickly stood and ran to him.

He opened his arms and caught me and I wrapped my legs around him and pushed my lips against his, hard. He turned and pushed me against the door continuing the kiss, this continued for about thirty minutes until his phone rang. He slowly let my feet fall to the floor, he never answered but we knew what it was about. I leaned against the door, “Gotta go?” He nodded and looked down, “I love you, by—” I quickly slapped my hand over his mouth, “I love you too, but don’t say bye, I’ll see you later Joe.” I removed my hand and pecked his lips, “Have fun, okay?” He nodded, “Visit me soon?” he asked hopefully. “Of course, go get ‘em tiger.” He smiled at me and kissed me once more.

And then, he was gone.

The next week sucked. I was miserable but I talked to Joe at least 3 times a day even if it’s just to ‘hear my voice’ or so he says. I cherished those little moments I got to talk to him, it got me through the day. I talked to Kevin and Nick also and from what they said Joe was doing pretty miserably too. That made me feel like shit. We all knew it was because of me, I could mope around and it’d be okay, half the world wasn’t watching me. Joe had interviews and concerts and TV appearances and people noticed his down attitude.

I sat at work 2 weeks later, it had been 3 weeks since Joe left and I was getting restless, I needed him. It was ridiculous how I was feeling this way but I felt like I could no longer function without him near me.

I was staring at my phone, it was near lunchtime on the east coast, usually when Joe called me. I heard someone tapping their fingers and looked up to come face to face with a gorgeous boy.

“Uh, can I help you I asked?” I smirked down at me with his beautiful blue eyes, “Yeah, I’m looking for studio 2.” I glanced at the schedule, “And you are?” HE extended his hand and answered my question with an introduction, “I’m Hutch Luxington.” I grabbed his hand and gave it a shake, “Kayden.” I pointed to the hallway, “The doors are numbered.” Joe’s call never came and I was bummed. I didn’t try to hide it either.

I was sitting at my desk, my chin resting on my palms when I heard someone clear their throat, I looked up, “Hi Hutch.” He walked over, “Hi Kayden, are you okay?” I kept my face solemn, “Yeah.” He scrunched his eyebrows “Well okay, but I’m going to get some lunch, care to join me?”

I tilted my head to the side and weighted my options in my head.

To go or not to go?