Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 3

The boys stayed in the studio all day and I answered phones, made copies, cleaned the fish tank, and set up the studio schedule.

Sure enough, at 12:01 my phone began to vibrate I picked up and saw a reminder that read ‘Call Joe ;).’ I grinned as I scrolled through my contacts and there it was his name in all caps, ‘JOE JONAS’. I touched his name and chose send message since I knew he was busy, and began typing…

K: Desperate much?

J: Hey now, I didn’t know if I was ever going to run into you again.

K: Mmhmm :)

J: Oh yeah you know you’re glad you did…

K: Don’t flatter yourself Jonas.

J: Flatter? How is being happy I met a beautiful girl and then found out she works at the place I have to spend the next 5 months of my life, flattering myself?

I had no idea what to reply to him with, I was trying to play hard to get, I wanted him to realize what he had before he got it, but the boy was a charmer and I felt myself giving in, and surprisingly, that was okay with me.

Joe’s P.O.V.

I sent my last text to Kayden and hoped that I wasn’t being to forward with her, but when I was with her I just felt, comfortable, she made me feel genuinely happy. My thoughts were broken when I heard Mr. Nottingham say it was time for our lunch break. I jumped up, went out the door and headed for the front desk.

Kayden’s P.O.V.

I sat at my desk and reread his message over and over again. I know I sat at that desk with the goofiest grin on my face, just staring at my phone.

My trance of bliss was broken by the sound of someone clearing their throat. I slowly lifted my head to come eye to eye with Joe who was leaning over my desk and who was now looking at my phone, ‘wonderful he just came out and caught me reading his text message and smiling like an idiot, shit, why couldn’t I just put it down, damnit Kayden why are you such--’

Joe’s voice broke my thoughts, “Whatcha reading Kayyy?” He said with a somewhat arrogant smirk on his face. “Well…”

“Kayden, let’s go, we’re going to lunch.” Uncle Tripp said as he walked towards the elevator putting his suit jacket on. I made a mental note to thank him for unintentionally helping me escape from possibly most awkward moment of my life.

“Well Joe, looks like I’ve got plans, see you later,” I said as I grabbed my bag and headed for the elevator.

“Not today,” he said, “We’ve got a photo shoot, but I’ll be here bright and early in the morning.” He shot me a huge smile before the elevator doors closed and he turned to find his brothers.

Uncle Tripp and I went to a small café down the street from the studio and sat at a table outside. We talked for a while about what my job would entail, but there was only one question that I was burning to know. I tried to ease myself into it so I wouldn’t sound too interested. “So those Jonas boys seem nice.”

He looked up at me and I quickly looked down at my plate.

“Ok, which one do you like?”

‘Shit, how did he know?’

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Uh huh, I’m not going to say anything because I know you’re completely capable of take care of yourself, but I just want you to know that their amazing boys and I approve.”

“Thanks for the concern, unc, that was a touching little story there.” I told him with a confident, smug look on my face, “So how long are they going to be here anyway?”

“Well right now they’re working on writing all new songs for their brand new album due to debut this summer and the week after it comes out they’re going on a huge tour to promote it.”

“Well doesn’t that sound like a full 5 months of fun, fun and more fun.”

“Alright kiddo, I really can’t think of one thing for you to do back at the office so why don’t we just head back and you can go finish setting up your house.”

“That sounds excellent, oh and I almost forgot, dad told me to give you this extra key to my house in case I lose mine or something, so here ya go.”

“Well isn’t your dad efficient” he said with a chuckle, “Oh and one more thing, we were talking at the office and decided that we were going to give you Fridays off so you can have some time to yourself to actually enjoy Los Angeles.”

“Well doesn’t my life just keep getting better. But really, thanks a lot, I appreciate everything you’ve done for me.”

“No problem kiddo, but let’s head out, I have a meeting in twenty.”

We walked back to the studio and I headed to the parking garage as I waved goodbye to my uncle as he went through the revolving door. I pulled up at my house and went inside and unpacked all of my plates, cups, and silverware into the cabinets and drawers. I then went to the Whole Foods Market down the street and got groceries for the next week other than the milk and cereal my dad and I bought yesterday. I unloaded all the groceries, changed into my pajamas, jumped in my bed and began to flip channels trying to find a movie to watch. I saw that 10 Things I Hate About You was on and turned off my bedside lamp and soon I drifted off to sleep.

I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off and reached over and hit the off button. I took a shower and blow dried and straightened my hair and swept my bangs to the side. I put on some bronzer and mascara and walked into my room and changed into some dark grey skinny jeans and an electric blue T-shirt that made my bright green eyes appear to be teal and slipped on a pair of silver flip flops and a few silver bangles. I sprayed myself with Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue perfume, turned off all the lights and walked out the house.

I stopped at the Starbucks on the way to the office and ordered everything I needed for the ‘hot shots’ at the studio. I walked straight to their offices as I walked out of the elevator and they all thanked me as I gave them their orders. When I got to my desk I noticed a package sitting on my desk. I figured it was a package for my uncle or one of the others that had been overnighted but as I picked it up I noticed a card with my name etched on the envelope.

I cocked my head in confusion and plucked the card off the top. I opened the card and immediately knew who it was from. On the front there was a picture of a steaming cup of coffee and the inside was blank except for a small sentence on the right side that read, ‘You owe me another cup of coffee, my dear.’

I laughed to myself and let out a light, “Joe,” While shaking my head in amusement.

I picked up the package and tore at the paper to reveal a black box that held a symbol that I recognized all to well. “Oh no he didn’t” I said to myself as I opened the box to reveal a brand new pair of black and white checkerboard high top Converse.

“Oh yes I did.” The voice startled me as I looked up to a smiling Joe, and was taken back by his appearance, sure he looked adorable yesterday with his glasses and baseball cap but today, with his hair straightened in places and naturally wavy in other places and with no glasses I got a good glimpse of his caramel colored eyes, he was beautiful. “I couldn’t help it, I felt so bad for ruining your other ones that I got you these yesterday.”

“Well, thank you so much Mr. Jonas, this means a lot to me.”

“Well it’d mean a lot to me if you accompanied me to dinner tonight.”

“Ooh you’ve known me for two days and already asking for a date?”

“Ouch, who said it was a date, Miss…hmm, hey I don’t even know your last name.”

“It’s Bryant and if it’s not a date then what is it?”

He never answered me he just looked straight at me and brought his finger to his chin and began to tap it there as if he was deep in thought. “Well?” I asked.

“Well KB—“

“Hold up, Joooe, KB like KB Toys, that’s what you’re going to call me?” I whined.

“Noooo, KB like Kayden Bryant, duh, and tonight I’m coming to pick you up at 7, no excuses, have a wonderful day, Bye KB.

And with that he was off, on his way to the elevator, “You aren’t in the studio today?” I wondered aloud unsure if he was going to answer me or not.

“Nope I just wanted to give you that,” he said as he pointed towards my shoes, “and to inform you of our date tonight.”

I nodded my head and looked at the time, ‘Great 9:30, this day was going to take forever.’

“Oh and K? I looked up at him, he had already stepped in the elevator and was pushing the button to take him to the lobby, “Try no to look like a slob tonight.” He said with a playful tone and a flirtatious wink. I let out a big smile and a simple, “I’ll try,” before the doors shut and he was gone.

The day drug by, just as I had expected it to. I spent the entire day making the studio schedule for the next month and was glad to see that the boys would be here pretty much all day every day. That made me smile.

As soon as the clock on my computer I ran to the elevator and pushed the down button repeatedly. Once I got to the parking garage I hopped in my car and sped away for my house.

When I got home I showered and blow dried and curled my hair and put on some light foundation, mascara, and eyeliner I walked into my closet to find something to wear.

Joe’s P.O.V.

‘Okay, I asked her on a date and she said yes, well she didn’t say yes but she didn’t say no, she agreed, that; like a yes right? Right Joe, she wants to go with you.’

Joe’s conversation in his head was interrupted by Kevin asking him what he wanted for lunch from In N’ Out Burger. “Number three, no cheese or mustard.”

Nick’s P.O.V.

I sat next to Joe in the back seat and wondered what had gotten into my brother, I mean her usually went after girls, but not like this, I think he was really into Kayden for the right reasons and for once I was genuinely happy about his choice.

“So you really like her don’t you?” I asked him.

“Yeah, dude, I don’t know what is , but something about her, she just draws me in, and it might sound kind of weird but I just feel it.”

“I know what you mean, man,” I said as I patted his back, “Just don’t screw it up.”

“Oh. Believe me little one, I don’t plan on it.”

I just shook my head at my brother and continued to look out the window as Kevin passed me my bag of food.

Joe’s P.O.V.

Nick sees a change in me, good, because I want to change for her, she was my new motivation.

I’ve went through the past couple of years dating girls here and there and I was sick of it, I guess I was waiting for the right person to come along, and I had this weird feeling that Kayden was her, she was the one I’ve been looking and waiting for.

The Suburban stopped and we all piled out and headed inside to do interviews for several magazines. The only thing I could think of the whole day was 7 o’clock—Kayden.

We got home at 5:30 and I went right up to my room and took a shower. I got out and blow dried my hair and turned the straightner on so I could do my hair later, I walked into my closet and pulled out a pair of dark wash pants and pulled them on my legs and pulled a royal blue t-shirt over my head, and put on a white button up shirt and rolled the sleeves up to my elbows. I put on a pair of dress shoes and walked back into the bathroom and ran the straighner through my hair a few times leaving it somewhat wavy.

I grabbed my wallet, phone, and car keys and walked down stairs and into the kitchen where my family was eating, I told them all bye and headed out to my Range Rover which just happened to be my Christmas present from me, to me, I had always wanted one and figured why not now? My parents didn’t approve but, if I set my mind to it, I did it.

So here I was at her front door.

‘Why was I so nervous? I never get nervous. Ugh come on Joe you can do this.’

“Okay.” I said to myself as I rang the doorbell.

I heard footsteps and I couldn’t make that nervous feeling go away.

Then the door swung open and I let out a small, “Wow."