Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 48

Ok, this is fast forwarded to McKenna's 2nd birthday::

“Joe, stop picking at the icing.” I slapped his hand away from the light pink two tier cake, with purple polka dots and outlining. He groaned, “I just want to taste it.” I shook my head and moved it to the middle of the dining room table, “No sir. Now we need to go change before everyone gets here and my dad gets back with McKenna.”

Joe and I had changed and made our way downstairs, everyone had filtered through the house and Denise led them into the backyard, where there was a circus-like tent set up for the circus themed party we were having. Joe slid is arm around my waist, smiling down at me, “I love you.” He spoke softly in my ear. I grinned up at him and pecked his lips a few times, “Love you too.”

I was wrapping a last minute present we had gotten for McKenna when I heard the front door open. Joe left the room and I heard McKenna’s voice, “Daddy!” She squealed. I leaned back and looked into the foyer just in time to see her attach herself to Joe’s legs reaching up to him, for him to pick her up. He picked her up laughing, and she threw her arms around his neck, laying her head on his shoulder. “Hey baby, how was the zoo?” Her little eyes got wide as she started explaining, “Dere was dis horse and him was black and white, and Pops said it wasn’t a horse, but it is daddy, it is a horse.” He laughed, “I think it’s a zebra McKenna.” She shrugged, “And den we saw ‘dis big horsey and hims head was real tall, like this.” She said pulling up on her neck. Joe grinned at her, “A giraffe?” She nodded, “Yeah, a giwwafe, Pops got me a giwaffe, look dad, look at him.” She said holding up a stuffed animal giraffe and then squeezing it to her chest. “He’s so cool McKenna.” He said walking into the room, just as I put the bow on her present. “Hey McKenna.” I said as he rounded the corner. “Mommy!” She jumped from Joe’s arms, into mine. “Ooh, hi baby. Did you have fun with Pops?” She shook her head, her pigtails bouncing, “Look what him got me, mommy.”

I saw my dad out the corner of my eye and walked over, wrapping my free arm around him, “Hey dad.” He kissed my forehead, “Hey Kay, how’s everything going?” I nodded, “Good, everyone’s out back, and everything’s ready, thanks for bringing her, dad.” He shrugged, “Ah, no way, we had fun.” He said tickling her sides. “Ok, will you two go and get the plates and forks on the counter while I get her changed and then, Joe, wait for us to go outside.”

They both nodded and I set her down and grabbed her hand, “You want to go put on your party dress?” She nodded and pulled me towards the stairs. “Mommy, wanna hear a song from the zoo?” I nodded, “Yes baby, please sing it to me.” She grinned her little toothy grin, her big green eyes string up at me, “Here are da’ bears big and bwown, here is da’ monkeys hanging awound.” She sang loudly, stomping up the stairs, she was a little ball of energy, just like Joe. She also inherited his adorable round face, dark hair, and perfect lips, while she held my eyes and small nose and wavy hair. She was absolutely adorable. “Um, I don’t ‘member the rest.” I laughed and squeezed her hand. “It’s okay, baby.” She shrugged and ran into her room, stripping off her shirt and shorts and pulling her dress off the rocking chair and putting it on backwards, “No baby, this way.” I laughed turning it around. She giggled as I pulled her pigtails out, letting her wavy hair fall on her shoulders, brushing through it with my fingers.

“Ready?” I asked picking her up. “Yes!” She screamed in my ear. Joe appeared in the doorway and I handed her off to him. “Daddy, you wanna know what?” She giggled into his ear as we were walking down the stairs. “What McKenna?” He smiled over to her. “I wuv mommy awot.” She said into his ear. He grinned, “McKenna, you wanna know what?” She played with the ends of his hair, “What daddy?” She asked. He grabbed my hand with his free hand, giving it a squeeze. “I love her a lot, too.” McKenna smiled looking back and forth between Joe and I. “Daddy, wanna know what else?” He laughed. “What McKenna?” She laid her head on his shoulder, wrapping her arms around his neck, “I wuv you daddy.” His free arm laid across her back, “I love you too baby girl.” He whispered into her ear.

I watched the two, tears coming to my eyes. They had to be the two sweetest, most loving and caring people I had ever met. Joe set McKenna down at the back door, keeping his hold on her hand, and pulling me to him. “You okay?” He whispered into my hair. “I just love you more than anything.” I nuzzled into his neck and I felt his smile on my forehead. “I love you too, babe.” He said leaving a few kisses there. “Is it time yet mommy?” McKenna asked loudly. I nodded and opened the back door, “Happy Birthday baby.” I said softly. She ran out as fast as her little legs would carry her, her eyes wide, her mouth open.

They were clowns with balloon animals, carnival games, jugglers, and acrobatics jumpers, our whole family and some family friends all gathered around, shouting happy birthday to McKenna who was completely content with all the attention on her.

She spotted Nick at the balloon dartboard and made a bee line for him. She and Nick had always had special bond, he was no doubt her favorite person. “Nicky!” She yelled grabbing his legs. He bent down picking her up and throwing her above his head, causing her to erupt in a fit of giggles. She hugged her arms tight around his neck. I saw her looking around after a few moments. “Kam?” I heard her ask. Ahh, Kam. She and Nick had finally got together, after 2 years of being ‘just friends’ Nick finally made his move and Kam was more than happy to accept, so the two were officially dating. I saw Nick shake his head, probably telling her she’s on tour, which she is, much to Nick’s dismay.

McKenna made her rounds, seeing Denise and Paul, or MawMaw and PawPaw. She owned her party. Joe and I followed behind her, watching her interact with everyone. She talked to every person, rambling on about her new giraffe and her day at the zoo and everything that Pops bought her. I looked at Joe and laughed, “Our daughter is spoiled rotten.” He nodded his head and laughed, “Yeah, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.” I shook my head, “Me either.”

We were about to cut the cake when a recently married Mack and Kevin busted through the back door, “Glad you guys could make it.” I said walking over to her and taking the present from her hands. She hugged me, “Sorry, we were—um—preoccupied.” She said biting her lip and glancing at Kevin up and down, while he greeted Joe. I shook my head, laughing, “Say no more.” She grinned and went to stand by Kevin’s side.

Joe and I made our way to the cake table once again, picking up McKenna on the way. We all sang Happy Birthday to her and she blew out her candles, clapping her hands. Denise shooed me away from the cake, “I’ll cut it. Go.” She said ginning. I thanked her and grabbed two pieces of cake and settled on the swing with McKenna, handing her a fork, which she ignored and watched her devour the cake with her fingers. I looked out, watching everyone eating and talking with one another, smiling at how everything came together.

I spotted Joe, eating his cake and talking to Nick and Kevin. I grinned, just watching him, he still got to me after all this time, after all we’ve been through, he was still able to make my heart rate pick up, butterflies arise in my stomach, and make my knees go weak with one look. I saw him and Kevin making frequent side glances at the back door. I let my eyes travel over and saw Mack talking to someone who was still inside. I craned my neck trying to see who, but the door was barely open. I looked back to Joe who was now watching me trying to figure out what was going on. He grinned and winked and nodded his head to the back door.

I looked over once again and saw Kam walk out. My mouth dropped and I looked back at the boys, Nick hadn’t noticed, but I watched as his eyes drifted up from his plate and he saw her over Kevin’s shoulder. He dropped his plate and ran to her, she met him halfway and jumped into his arms, wrapping her legs around him. She had been on tour for three months and I could only imagine how much they missed each other. I had stood by now and made my way to Joe, with McKenna trailing behind me.

“Mommy.” I felt McKenna tugging on my dress and I looked down to see pink and purple icing handprints smeared on my white sundress. “McKenna!” I said raising my voice a little. She looked at my dress then up at me, “Oopsies.” She said quietly. “Sowwy mommy.” She said hanging her head. I knelt down and hooked my finger under her chin, so I could see her face. “It’s okay, baby. Why don’t you get daddy to take you inside and wash your hands, and I’ll go change.” She nodded and kissed my cheek and I smiled wrapping my arms around her tiny body.

Joe bent down and wrapped one arm around her waist pulling her under his arm, “Come on, Kenna.” She giggled and I followed them into the house, heading up the stairs. I pulled off my dress and put on a pair of cuffed navy blue shorts and a white short sleeved button up. I opened the door to the balcony and walked out, leaning on the rail watching everyone below me, eating and talking and laughing. I smiled taking it all in and saw McKenna race out the back door, and attach herself to Nick’s legs. He laughed and picked her up, bringing her eye level with him and Kam.

I watched her, probably telling them a story, her eyes wide, her mouth going a mile a minute, and her arms flailing around illustrating her story. I laughed a little and felt two arms slide around my waist and a chin on my shoulder. “What’re you doing?” He whispered in my ear, sending a chill down my spine. I leaned my head into his, “Watching our daughter.” He grinned, “She’s something else, huh?” I nodded and turned my head to plant a kiss on his cheek.

WE stood there for a while, watching everyone and the sun that was gliding down, starting to disappear into the horizon. “I have something to give you.” Joe said reaching into his pocket. I turned to him, “Babe, it’s not my birthday.” He shrugged, “I know. But you’ll like this one.” I grinned, “You are too good to me, Joseph.” He kissed my temple and stepped away from me and I felt something cold around my neck. Joe stepped in front of me and I looked down at the thin white gold chain on my neck, there were three white gold hearts hooked together. One heart had ‘Joseph’ inscribed around the side, one read ‘McKenna’, and the other was blank.

I fingered the blank one and looked up into his eyes, “For the one to come.” He whispered in my ear, rubbing a hand over my stomach that was now a small bump. I laid my hand over his. “For the one to come.” I whispered, pressing my lips against his. We shared a long kiss and I pressed my forehead against his, his eyes staring into mine, “I love you.” He said pressing a small kiss on my nose. “I love you, too.” I whispered onto his lips, kissing him a few more times. I wrapped my arms around his waist, and laid my head on his chest, his arms wrapping around my shoulders, his chin resting on top of my head.

I closed my eyes, letting everything run through my head, the love I had experienced, the love that was to come and the one I loved most, the one who would always be there for me, the one who had always been there, the one who understood me, the one who would never leave me, the one who would always love me, and protect me, wrapped perfectly in my arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
There is a sequel to this...
for the new readers,
it's called On and On.

just letting you know :)