Sequel: On and On

The Good Life

Chapter 6

The whole next week, the boys were really busy in the studio so we didn’t see much of each other but we hung out when we could.

On Friday I slept in and watched the episodes of Oprah I missed from the week while I was at work and attempted to clan the apartment.

I got a text in the late afternoon and smiled when I saw Joe’s name on the screen, I opened the message and read it to myself, ‘Something is going to arrive for you around 6-ish, my dear.’ I instantly texted him back, ‘Ooh, a surprise?’ She smiled to herself, when he texted her back, ‘Of course, I miss you, we’ve been busy this week and you’re the only one I want to see.’ I couldn’t contain my excitement, ‘You’re so good to me, I’m excited, and what exactly should I wear to this secret event?’ He sent his reply within a few moments, ‘Something comfortable, nothing special.’

I took a shower and blow-dried my hair and left it to wave by itself then put on some light foundation and mascara. I walked over to the window and opened it to check the temperature, considering I haven’t stepped foot out of the house all day, it was rather warm so I walked to my closet and pulled on a pair of black shorts that fell a little higher than mid-thigh and a long sleeved white t-shirt with the sleeves pulled up to my elbows and added a bright teal vest, and my teal, yellow, white, and black Nike Dunks. I sprayed on some perfume and grabbed my phone and bag and headed down the stairs, halfway don, I heard the doorbell ring and hurried to get it.

I opened the door and saw I man dressed in all black holding a huge bouquet of flowers with a red balloon tied to it. He handed the bouquet to me and I thanked him and brought the flowers to the table and grabbed the card from the stand, it read:

Kayden,

This is a scavenger hunt, everywhere you go in this scavenger hunt is significant to me, there will be a red balloon at every location, telling you where to go next. So pop the balloon and get started, have fun, babe ;).

--Joe.

I smiled to myself and grabbed a pen and popped the balloon, inside I found another note,

‘Order a venti, grande, or tall,

Here is the place I met the girl that made me fall’

I laughed at how easy the first clue was, I got in my car and drove to the Starbucks where I saw Dieter, the worker that had helped me every morning to get coffees for my uncle and the other producers. He smile to me and nodded his head to a chair in the corner with a red balloon, I walked over to it and popped the balloon,

Lions and tigers and bears, Oh my!

If I wouldn’t have took you here,

I thought you might cry.

The zoo. I drove to the zoo and found another balloon tied to the front gate, this lead me to the café where we ate near the studio, which lead me to Pinkberry, the video store we always go to, and then his house, there was a balloon on his mailbox, I popped the balloon and read out directions.

Take a right out the driveway,

Left at the stop sign;

Left at the third red light;

Right on the second street on the right;

Turn in the first entrance on the left,

Walk down the pier.

I followed his directions and walked down the pier, Joe was no where in sight, I saw another balloon tied to the railing. I popped it and read;

Tie the blindfold around your eyes and wait.

I looked over at the rail and saw the blindfold, folded it and wrapped it around my head, I waited when I felt two arms slide around my waist, I leaned into him and he began to walk forward. He stopped and whispered into my ear, “Take off your shoes.” I followed his orders and he slightly pushed the small of my back and I felt the sand squish between my toes.

I grinned and wondered what he had up his sleeve. He told me to wait and I did I stood there until I felt a pair of hands wrap around the back of my head and the blindfold loosen, and there on the beach was, a picnic, a blanket spread on the sand and a huge basket sitting there, the sun was almost down and the sky was a beautiful mix of orange, pink, yellow, blue, and purple. I looked at him, “Joe, this is beautiful.” He nodded. “I’m glad you like it, I just wanted to do something nice for you, and I’ve missed you this week.” I couldn’t hold it back anymore, I ran to where he was and he welcomed me with open arms, I wrapped my legs around his waist, he created a ‘seat’ for me by locking his forearms together. I stared down into his eyes, “You’re the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me.” He smiled up at me, “Likewise.” I connected my lips with his and he ran his tongue along my bottom lip, I obliged to his request and parted my lips, I loosened my legs and he set me down, our lips never disconnecting I wrapped my arms around his neck and his found their way to my waist, we stayed that way for a while.

I reluctantly pulled away causing Joe to pout, I looked at him, “Aw, come on, I want to know what’s in the basket and it looks like it’s about to rain.” He nodded and grabbed my hand and sat down on the blanket, and pulled the basket to him, “Okay, we’ve got your chicken pasta from the café, my club sandwich, Pinkberry for dessert,” he reached back in the basket and pulled out, “Gatorade, yes! Our favorite.” We ate and just laughed and talked about our week and how everything was going. While we were eating our Pinkberry it was like the skied opened, there was no warning drizzle, just the full storm pouring down. Joe and I jumped up and he grabbed the corners of the blanket and picked the whole thing up, we ran up the pier and I grabbed my shoes and ran to the covering near the parking lot. We made it and I was ringing out my hair when I noticed Joe just staring, I stood up and looked at him confused, “What?” He shook his head, “Nothing, you just look completely gorgeous right now.” I felt my face flush and smiled at him, “Thanks, you don’t look to bad yourself, stud.” He laughed and said, “Well looks like you’re bringing me home because Kevin dropped me off here.” I nodded, “Well it’s still early, rent a movie?” He smiled, “Your place?”

We went to the video store and rented The Departed and headed back to my house, it was still storming and when we made it to my house we walked in to find that the electricity was out. “Well I guess no movie tonight.” Joe said. “Well do you want me to take you home?” I prayed he’d say no, I was scared of thunderstorms, and have never been able to sleep through one since my mom had died. “Are you going to be okay here by yourself? He asked. “Umm, yes.” I said but it came out as more as a question. I heard him chuckle, “Kay, if you want me to stay all you have to do is—” I found his waist in the dark and wrapped my arms around him, “Please don’t leave—I’m scared, Joe.” He wrapped his arms around my shoulders, “Aww, babe, it’s alright, I’m here for you.” I believed him, I felt so safe in that moment wrapped in his arms, it was amazing.

Joe called his mom, only to find out heir electricity was out too, she said she wanted him to stay because the storm was too bad, and she didn’t want me staying here without the alarm working. I felt my way into the kitchen and found the drawer with the flashlight in it and grabbed Joe’s hand and lead him upstairs and found him a pair of my dad’s sweatpants I loved to sleep in and an old school t-shirt that was too big for me but should fit him perfectly. I grabbed a pair of sweats and a tank top and changed on the spot, its not like he could see me. I’m guessing he felt the same way because I could hear him shuffling around next to me. We made our way to the bed and climbed in, I laid my head on Joe’s chest and his arm wrapped around my body and he entangled his legs with mine and as his breaths got heavier I heard him breath out a, “Night Kay, if you need me, wake me up.” ‘Wow I love this boy.’ I heard a clap of thunder and my body tensed up, I then felt Joe’s hand run down my arm and a comforting feeling settled in my stomach, and for the first time in 9 years, I slept through a thunderstorm.