‹ Prequel: The Good Life
Sequel: Against All Odds

On and On

Chapter 15

“So we’re thinking of a month or so after you have the baby…so like early June or something? I don’t know. Is that too hot for a wedding? I’m just so excited. I mean I never expected this to happen or him to actually propose I mean my god—and I finally had the guts to stand up and request some time off and—”

I groaned more out of annoyance if anything, but my feet were actually killing me. Kam was rambling on and on about Nick and their wedding and EVERY detail of EVERY second of their life…sad thing? I’ve had to listen to the exact same thing from Nick.

“What? What’s wrong do I need to call Joe?” She panicked, looking over at me, her eyes round.

“No.” I chuckled. Even though I could go for talking to Joe. “I’m good, my feet just hurt.”

She smiled and ‘ooh-ed’ dragging me into Guitar Center. “Wouldn’t this be perfect for Kevin?” She looked at me expectedly, holding up a board with pegs that hung on the wall to hang guitars on.

I nodded, “Yeah, it’s great.” Even I heard the boredom in my voice. We had been shopping since a little after lunch and it was currently going on 9 at night. I was moody, my feet hurt. My back ached and I wanted nothing more than the huge pickle I knew was sitting in our refrigerator at home.

“Okay come on.” She sighed turning to walk out the store.

“What?! Aren’t you going to buy it?”

“Not now. Christmas shopping is supposed to be fun and you’re going all Juno on me.”

“Juno?” I felt my face scrunch, “I’m not being Juno-ish.”

“You’re being like ahh I don’t care, I hate everything all day…so I’m bringing you home…we’ve been walking all day and I want to surprise Nick when he gets home from the studio, anyway.”

“With what?” I wondered aloud.

She picked up her left hand, gesturing to the Victoria’s Secret bag, a grin on her face and her eyebrows raised.

“Oh! Kam! No!”

She laughed, “What?! You and Joe did before—”

“Excuse me! No no no! Don’t wanna know!” I laughed. “He’s still like my little brother…that’s just weird on SO many levels.”

She smirked and pranced off to the parking garage.

Kam dropped me off at the house. Joe had stayed home with the kids and it was eerily quiet for all of them to be home. I shed my coat and scarf at the door and tip toed up the stairs, peeking into Braden and Milo’s room, watching both of their chests rise and fall as they breathed, deep in sleep.

I let my eyes linger on Braden a little longer. He had been released from the hospital two days after he went in. We’d given him breathing treatments for the first month and he was still on antibiotics just to be safe. But, Joe and I still watched him closely, too scared to just let it go…the whole experience was absolutely horrifying and the image of his weak, fragile body still burned fresh in my mind.

I walked down the hall to McKenna’s room, poking my head in and smiling at her sleeping frame from the light cast by her princess night light.

I sighed and wanted nothing more than to peel off my clothes and sleep until…forever. Or at least that’s what I felt like.

I slipped into our dark room and heard Joe humming in the bathroom. I smiled and walked quietly to the door, seeing the lights dimmed and him soaking in the bathtub with a thick layer of bubbles up to his chin, his head rested back, eyes closed and earbuds in his ears.

I smirked and pulled the earbuds from his iPod. His head jerked up and I turned around, setting it in the iHome cradle, smiling when I heard Michael Buble’s smooth voice filling the bathroom.

“That’s what I bought this for.” I smiled, sitting on the edge of the tub and leaning down to press my lips to his.

“Hey baby.” He greeted me, his loving eyes shining up at me.

“Hi.” I whispered, brushing the damp hair from his forehead. “So is this what you do when I leave you here all alone? Put the kids to bed early and take a bubble bath?”

He chuckled and shrugged, “Most of the time…either that or eat all your ice cream and watch Lifetime.” He fluttered his eyes, mocking me.

“Shut up.” I grinned, pushing a hand into his hair.

“So are you going to get naked and get in here or are your clothes getting wet tonight?” He smirked, raising his eyebrows and pulling my hand to his mouth and kissing my palm.

I bit my lip and pulled away from him, slowly slipping my clothes off. I saw him smile down at my baby bump once my shirt was over my head and I reached up to pull my hair into a messy bun. I grinned at him when his eyes trailed back up to meet mine.

I silently stepped into the warm water and eased back into his arms, sighing when I felt his skin against mine. His arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me closer to him, his lips grazing my ear.

“You are so beautiful.” He breathed, his fingertips lightly gliding over my stomach.

The butterflies exploded in my stomach, like they always did when he said things like that. I smiled and pulled myself up, turning in his arms and faced him, wrapping my legs loosely around his waist.

“Ooh.” He smirked, raising a single eyebrow at me.

I linked my fingers behind his neck and pulled our lips together, pushing my chest against his. I felt him smile and his hands smooth up my thighs and settling on my backside. I scooted closer to him and his tongue ran along my bottom lip. I obliged and parted my lips, tilting my head to the side deepening the kiss.

I heard him let out a deep groan and exhale through his nose and I broke this kiss lifting my head to breath. My eyes laid half opened as I watched his stay slightly closed and trail down my neck gently sucking on my collarbone.

“Joe.” I sighed.

He pulled back and opened his eyes and locked them onto mine. I noted that they were darker than usual, knowing mine probably looked the same way. I trailed my hand down his chest and reached in between us wrapping my hand around him. His grip tightened on me and his head fell forward, resting on my shoulder and pressing light kisses on the side of my neck, letting out deep moans.

I felt him growing with each pass of my hand, his breath quickening in my ear.

“Kay-den” He breathed out between short breaths. “Stop.”

I returned my hands to his shoulders, knowing what he was asking for. He lifted his head and his eyes burned into mine. His hands moved to the back of my thighs slowly pulling me forward, settling my body onto him. I let out a pleasurable moan and dug my fingers into his shoulders.

“You okay?” He asked, his voice shaky.

“Ahhh.” I sighed, not answering his question, but beginning to roll my hips against his instead.

His hands moved to my hips, helping me move on top of him. I felt my breath quickening as he moved me faster against him. I moved one hand to the side of the tub behind Joe’s head to brace myself, the other looping around his neck. I felt his hips shift a little to the side and moving faster. I dipped down, kissing along his neck, feeling him getting restless. I felt my stomach tighten and the familiar tingle start from my toes, “Joe.” I sighed, letting my eyes fall closed, my stomach tightened the tingle shuddering up my spine, “Oh my...Joe!” I moaned into his neck. He thrusts his hips once more and he pulled me closer, his fingers gripping my hips, “Kay—ahh” he groaned, his forehead rolling against mine, both of our breathing heavy.

His touch became softer and he slid his hand behind my neck, kissing my lips a few times. “You’re amazing.” He breathed. “I love you.”

I smiled, playing with the ends of his hair. “I love you.” I whispered.

His arms circled around my back and I leaned into him, letting my head fall to his shoulder.

I don’t know how long we sat, tangled into each other, but I shivered when I felt the water turning cold. Joe’s fingers raked down my back and under my thighs lifting me off of him.

I shivered again and watched as he silently stood, stepping out the tub and pulling a dark gray towel from the hook on the wall, wrapping it around his waist. He picked up the other and held it out nodding his head at me, a content smile gracing his lips.

I pulled the stopper from the tub, letting it drain and stepped out and into the towel, smiling when his arms wrapped around me. I took my towel from him and we quickly dried off. I followed him into our room and slipped into my closet pulling on a pair of underwear and dropping my towel into the hamper, pulling the elastic from my hair, letting the loose waves fall over my shoulders and down my back.

I padded across the room and into Joe’s closet, smiling when I saw him staring at his shelves with only a pair of boxer briefs on. I drug my fingers across his bare stomach as I passed him, heading for his drawers where I pulled out an old raglan band t-shirt, sliding it over my head in time to see him pulling on a pair of sweatpants.

He grinned at me and walked over to me, kissing my temple and bending down so he could pick me up bridal style. I squealed in surprise and secured my arms around his neck, kissing his cheek.

He switched off the light and sauntered into our room softly setting me on top of our ridiculously comfortable bed. I pulled back the covers and snuggled in, putting a pillow under my back, trying to get comfortable, while he turned off the bathroom light. He scooted in his side next to me and turned on his side, laying an arm around my waist and setting his head on my shoulder. I pressed my head on top of his and raked my fingers through his hair.

We laid in comfortable silence for a while before I heard his soft voice.

“You know, in March, we’ll be married for six years.”

“I know.” I sighed, “It’s gone by so fast.”

“Time flies when you’re having fun.” I heard the smile in his voice and he turned his head planting a simple kiss on my jaw.

Memories were flying through my mind and I smiled remembering everything we’ve been through together.

“Seems like yesterday when you ruined my new shoes.” I sighed.

“Hey!” He warned, “You ran into me! It was all your fault.”

I shrugged, “Well, I’m glad I did then.” I said in all seriousness.

He yawned, rubbing my stomach in large circles. “Me too.” He whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
i know, it's filler-ish,
but i thought it needed a little break from drama...
comment?

:)