My Illegal Love Story

25 messages in 10 minutes

*Part 27
As I walked through the hospital doors the cool rush of air conditioning did nothing to cool my nerves. I was going to see mum. Possibly dying. I saw this as my fault if I hadn’t have been in America I could have delayed her somehow.
“Ding. Level Four, Please watch your step” the computerised voice said as we stepped out.
‘BEEP BEEP’ I felt a vibration in my bag
“Christina, you can’t have your phone on. It disturbs the machinery.”
“Sorry Nat.” I apologetically said while diving into my purse and turning it off.
She slowly led me down the longest corridor of my life.
“Here we are room 3”
Well maybe not the longest one...but it felt like forever. I peered around the doorway and saw my mum. Her idle body, like a vegetable with a million machines plugged into her.
My dad came over and held me in a crushing hug.
“My baby girl...your home.” I quickly pulled away due to a rush of blood to my head and just slowly moved towards my mum’s bedside.
The smell of hospital was getting to me. Usually it’s nothing. But for some reason my senses were all alert, it must have been the hectic day getting to me.
“How long have you guys been here?” My voice quivered as I asked my worried family.
“I haven’t left in 4 days. And Nat’s only left for work” I saw how painful this was for my dad...he just stood still and looked at my mum’s cut and bloodied body, he didn’t say anything...he just stood. I felt the need to do something...anything for them, but I couldn’t stay there as much as I wanted to; I needed to get out.
“Dad you look beat. Why don’t I go to the grocery store and pick up some food for you and Nat, and some flowers to brighten up this really dull room.”
“Thanks sweetie” My dad answered in a mono toned voice. I quickly kissed my mm’s hand and swiftly ran out of the room.
As soon as I reached the lift I turned my phone back on.
‘BEEP BEEP’
I looked down at the phone and gasped in shock. I had 25 new messages. In 10 minutes!
And they were all from Tre!
The same message over and over again,
“Why are you in Aus? What’s up?”
but how does he know I’m in Australia? I thought to myself as I slowly entered the elevator...gradually it came to m ...I used his credit card to pay for the ticket. As I got to the ground floor I gradually made my way to the taxi rank and quickly jumped into the back seat of a cab,
“Nearest Shopping center.” I sweetly said while replying to Tre’s text...I mean texts.
‘I’m just going to the grocery store... I’ll call when I get back, I just need some space’ I slowly texted as the driver speedily took me to a small grocery shop a couple of blocks from the hospital.
“That’s...$9.50 darling.” The very Australian taxi driver said as he flung his hand to the back seat. I quickly passed over a $10 note and waited for my change,
“Have a nice day.” He sweetly said as he speed off into the distance...for the first time in nearly two weeks...I was alone.