The Story: Behind the Lives

Meet your daughter.

It'd been a few days now, and a no show.

This was a first, well, not a FIRST first, but a first in a long while. Yeah, I know the whole thing about both parents being around, especially for support and help.

Didn't look like I was getting either. As usual my parents had gone off and done their own little thing again, which was fine with me. As long as I had my dear brother, I would survive.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This particular day was like any other day in winter. I'd heard a knock at the front door while I was feeding Amy. I heard Jason walking to door, then he and another guy exchanging a few words. I heard the door slam and Jase walk into the baby's nursery.

"Who was that?" I asked, not lifting my eyes away from Amy.

"Nobody important." Jase chuckled, he came over and awkwardly patted Amy's head and walked back out.

"Coffee?" Jase said poking his head around the door once more.

"Yes please." I said. Amy was almost asleep.

Once Amy was asleep, I quietly walked out of the room to find muddy footprints all over the carpet, leading into the lounge room.

"JASE." I yelled, thinking he'd be out to collect the mail and forgotten to take his shoes off, as always. There was no answer, so I followed the footprints. As I looked up from the muddy footprints and where they stopped it was an instant feeling of dread.

As I looked up from where the carpet ended and the linoleum started I could feel the look of terror on my face and the pit in my stomach.

Jase was being held up against the kitchen cupboards by his throat by a goon with a knife inside his mouth by the one and only. I noticed Jase caught my glance and his eyes widen, he opened his eyes wide and was telling me to get out of the room with his eyes. But then the one and only noticed before I could choke out anything I had another goon behind me.

I felt the cold metal touch my temple and let out a yelp, all I could do was stare at my brother and the father of my baby. I started to let a few tears slip as felt myself starting to have trouble breathing, my mouth and nose was covered by the gigantic hand of the goon.

"Bring her over here." He yelled. I was picked up at the waist and half dragged over into the kitchen. I didn't let me eyes go off my brother once. He meant more to me than this supposed 'family man' was.

I started to choke on my tears and could not breathe, my face started to go purple, but yet the hand remained covering any orifice which would help me breathe.

"LET HER BREATHE!" Jase yelled out, now that the knife wasn't in his mouth anymore.

I was dropped to the ground, coughing and spluttering, letting in as much air as possible. I landed on my knee's and now that I gained breath back the pain started to go to my knee's. As soon as I looked up I saw my life standing in front of me.

"Why won't you let me see him?" He said, crouching down to me level and lifting my chin up, I felt like a prisoner.

"Because you act like this." I said, trying to hold back the tears.

He didn't even know we'd had a girl.

"Don't hurt her!" Jase yelled out.

"You know what to do men." He said, looking up at the goon who had me. With a nod of his head they were gone.

"Don't kill him." I snorted towards the goon who stepped over me to assist the other with my brother.

Once they were out of the room it was just silence. Until he pushed me backwards onto the floor. My knee's bent themselves into an even more awkward position as my head hit the floor and bounced off it before once again landing there and staying there. I let out a scream and closed my eyes reaching for my head.

I felt instant body heat as he leaned over me. He had his knee's either side of me and his face was right in front of mine when I turned my head back to face the ceiling.

"Why won't you let me see him!" He repeated, yelling in my face.

I didn't answer, only looked into his eyes as deeply as he'd let me go. In an instant I felt the cool blade of a butcher's knife against my throat.

"You'll regret not saying anything." He carried on, taking it in that I wasn't going to talk.