Early Sunsets Over Monroeville

Demolition Lovers

I opened my eyes wearily, my cheek pressed against the cool glass of the car window. My reason for waking wasnt the loud rumbling of the old car's engine or the bumpy ground we drove on, no I was quite used to that by now. The reason I woke was the loud screeching of the radio as the signal was lost. I wondered where we were and how long I was asleep.

I looked out the window at the scenery, a long, wide valley stretched out farther than I could see, the sun was just a bright, orange sliver on the horizon. I fought the urge to sleep, forcing my eyes to stay open. I was exhausted and sure that this was the most sleep I had been able to get in the last couple of weeks, but I was too afraid to sleep any longer. Expecially now, when the daylight was just moments from being gone.

I turned my head as I felt a hand on mine - his hand. I looked up at him and smiled, no amount of danger or sorrow would change my love for him. He smiled back and tightened his grip on my hand. He turned his focus back to the road, the speed slightly increasing as the sun's decent increased. The worry was boldly written on his face, and engraved deeply in his eyes. It was making him sick, and I worried more about him than I did about myself.

We slowed and turned off the highway, onto a dirt road crowded with trees. I sat up straight in my seat, pulling my hood over my head. The darkness was creeping up on us quicker now and I felt panicked. I knew he felt the same way, he was edgy and his eyes frantically searched the trees, but his hand never let go of mine.

My breathing was quiet, despite my fear. I wish I could have been as used to this as I was of this neverending road trip. I also wish I could call this a road trip, that would be nice. Though this is more like a chase and we were the prey. Thinking that word - prey - sent shivers up my spine. Sometimes I just feel like giving up and letting myself be caught. The only thing that keeps me going is him, and his endless promises to keep me alive no matter what.

One other thing that keeps me going, keeps me running is what we are running from. The hunters. The monsters you only hear about in stories. The monsters you only see in movies. The most beautiful monster you had ever seen, and could never dream up on your own. Vampires.

My mind still has trouble grasping onto this terrifying reality. It eats away at me inside, leaving an empty hole. A hole that can only be filled when this nightmare is over, but I know very well that it will never end. It is hopeless now, but somehow I still have faith that we will get out of this alive.

The car begins to slow and smoke rushes out from under the hood of the car.

"Shit," He says, hitting the stearing wheel with the palm of his hand.

The engine dies, and we are sitting ducks. Both our eyes search the darkness, fearing that we will see something but we see nothing. He slides over closer and wraps his arms around me. I notice now that I had started crying, I never really paid much attention to it anymore since it was a common thing these days.

"Dont worry, we'll be fine," He reassures me. I really am not sure if we will be fine, and something in his voice tells me that he's unsure of that himself. I lean into him and rest my head on his shoulder, he kisses the top of my head. We sit silently for what feels like forever, just holding each other.

We hear a snap in the bushes and we freeze, arms tightening around each other. I begin to panic as the fear inside me intensifies. I squeeze my eyes shut, not wanting to see them if they come. Not wanting to see their beautiful marble skin, their mysterious black eyes, and their hideous fangs.

I feel him relax and I look up at him, confused.

"It's a rabbit.." He sighs, nodding his head towards the windsheild. I look out, the white fur of the small animal a contrast in the darkness. I let out a laugh that is a but too hysterical for the moment, but he laughs with me.

"What are we going to do when they finally find us?" I wonder to myself mostly, not really wanting an answer.

"I dont know, but I will never let them get you, I will never let them hurt you, I promise." I know that this promise will soon be broken, no one could ever fight against the strength of those monsters, but I smile anyways. I lean into him and kiss him softly on the lips, something I will miss terribly when my time is up, when our time is up. He kisses back, his arms wrapping around me and hugging me close to him. I feel safe with him, even with our current situation.

"I love you," He whispers to me, "I love you more than anything in the world, in my life, and I will always love you no matter what happens."

"I love you, too" I whisper back to him, tears run down my cheeks and stain his shirt.

I suddenly feel him tense up, and his breath catches in his throat. I quickly look up at him and his face has gone white, his eyes filled with terror as he stares at something out the windsheild. I turn my head to look, my hands trembling. I freeze, my eyes widening, my mouth drops open and the fear I feel now is far worse than anything I have felt before.

Standing just two feet from the car is one of the monsters, one of the vampires. His black eyes lock onto mine, he grins and I can faintly see the white of his teeth. A sob breaks free from inside me, ending the silence, as I see at least 10 or more other vampires show up behind the one. Our time is up, theres no way to run from them now, no use.