Status: Finished.

Unlawful

Act II, Scene IV.

"In there, I saw him go in there! Not long ago, either!"

Gabriella sat up in her bed, watching the door closely. Whoever it was screaming, they sounded like they were in pain...They also sounded like they were ratting someone out. Her heart pounded in her ears and all the blood rushed from her face. "Gerard...." oh gosh. "Gerard, wake up!" she whispered urgently. "Gerard, you need to wake up!"

He slowly came-to, blinking his eyes groggily. "Wha-what's going on?"

There were three loud raps on her chamber door and Gerard seemed to wake up fully, sitting up next to his beloved princess. "Gabriella, open up. This is your mother." Gabriella and Gerard exchanged frantic glances, scrambling up out of bed, rushing to put clothes back on, and find a suitable hiding place for Gerard. "Gabriella!"

"Com-coming. I'm just getting...changed!" she excused quickly, shoving Gerard into the closet and shutting it softly. She made her way over to the door to open it, being greeted by the sight of Nelson, her mother, and another one of the doormen, all looking less than impressed.

"Where is he, Gabriella?" The queen asked her daughter, stepping into the room and circling so she was behind her. "And don't lie to me."

"Where's who?" she gulped down hard and took a deep, hopefully unnoticeable breath. She prayed silently to god that her mother just accepted that she had no idea what she was talking about and leave. If Gerard was found...he'd be killed.

"The boy. The slave. I said, don't lie to me!" she roared at Gabriella. "Tell me where he is, and I might spare his life."

"The...the cupboard."

"Nelson," the queen addressed the courtier behind her, without even looking. He didn't even have to be asked, he just went over to the closet and dragged a half-dressed Gerard out, who looked painfully frightened.

"He'll be hanged at dawn."