Do You Have a Soul to Spare?

Morning Trouble

"I'm sick."

"No, you're not. Get up."

"Cough!"

"Serena!!"

"No, Zane! I don't want to go!"

With one yank of bed sheets and a thud on the floor, Serena found herself sprawled on the floor. She scratched her head and jumped to her feet, glaring at Zane who was laughing slightly, but trying not to.

"I said no. I'm not going," she told him, crossing her arms. "I don't want to go to school. What if I go on a bloody murdering spree?"

"No, you won't. I'll be there and despite how I feel about it, Jayke will be, too. Now get your lazy ass up or I'll make you."

"Language," she muttered, sighing and walking into the closet. "I'm not coming out!"

"God, what is wrong with you? Locking yourself in the closet will not do anything but make me think you're hiding something from me: your true sexuality. No get out of there," Zane sighed,yanking the door open in one swift motion.

"Fine. But I hope I murder you first!" Serena walked out fully dressed and sat on her bed.

"I'd like to see you try, love."

She glared at him and he merely smiled like a perfect angel. She knew he was no angel at all. Maybe the Devil, but not an angel. He dragged her down the stairs and to the door.

"What about breakfast?" she asked innocently enough.

"I doubt you'd like it. You don't need to eat that when there's perfectly good dirt in the backyard," Zane commented, wrinkling his nose in disgust.

"Are you saying my food is terrible?" Ego shot.

"No, all food is terrible. I only ate it so you wouldn't get suspicious. Thank god I don't have to anymore," he muttered, walking her out the door.

"Oh my..." Serena put a hand to her forehead. "Is this how it's supposed to...smell?"

Zane laughed.

"Yes, dear. That would be the smell of life itself. But it's not so bad out here. Just wait until you're in a closed space surrounded by the many walking vessels called students."

"Nice sense of humor."

"I know."

They walked into the school and when the scent hit her, it was like a rock had just smashed into her body at full force.

"Oh my god!" A scream from across the room.

Who was that?