Do You Have a Soul to Spare?

Alternatives

"I'm not a monster," Serena whispered, more like a plea for it to be true.

"Yes you are! You murder people! Those people all have lives, people who care about them, and futures that you take away! They do nothing wrong, yet you brutally kill them! They do no wrongs, yet you get hungry, so they must die? That is something a monster would believe!" Cathy stood up and once again her only focus point was Serena--the girl trying desperately not to cry.

"She is not a monster!" Zane told her, eyes showing he was ready to kill if she said one more bad thing.

"Yes I am!" Serena shouted, yanking her hand from Zane's and running out the door. She was going to kill someone eventually and she knew it. Why had she let Zane make her this? She didn't want it at all!

She ran down a few blocks, not thinking about where she was going. As long as she was away from everyone, she didn't care where she ended up. She was definitely ending up in Hell, especially with this lifestyle.

She sank to her knees under a bridge as the rain started pouring. She wept for a good while before calming herself. She couldn't deal with this. How could Zane do this? How could he deal with knowing he murdered so many people. Maybe the victims would have gone on to find the cure for cancer. Or maybe the next Beethoven would never realize his potential.

"Serena..."

She looked up with tear-stained eyes. Zane was looking solemnly down at her. She couldn't tell if he had been crying for even his hair was wet with the sky's tears.

"I'm sorry about running off like that," she apologized weakly with a hoarse voice. "I just...I know what I am going to do. And nothing will change that!"

"That's not true.There is an alternative to killing people like the ordinary vampire." Zane took a seat beside Serena on the cold stone.

"What?" Her voice couldn't even out if herlife death depended on it.

"You can drink animal blood. You know, no humans. It'd be just like humans eating meat."

"Do you do that?" This was making it more bearable.

"No, but...I could start. If it'd make you feel better about all of this."

"I love you so much."

"Let's not go back."

"What?" What was he talking about?

"Start a new life somewhere. Leave this town--and especially the witch--behind. I'll tell my parents and we can go somewhere. Just us."

Was he serious?