Relationship Suicide

06

Image

George begged and pleaded with her. His desperation only made it harder for her. She kept saying 'no', shaking her head, tears falling slowly down her cheeks, her arms folded across her chest, holding herself together. It had taken him a full hour and thirty seven minutes to give up, though he told her this wasn't the end and that it couldn't be over. She knew he'd accept it over time.

They had no reason to see each other if she was ending it with Mark too. Emotions were running through her body. When Bianca's face popped into her mind she saw red, then she remembered George's face. His eyes gleaming with tears, begging her not to end it. Then Mark, his smile. The one that used to make her melt. Now, it was just another face, another feeling for him to experience.

She knew they'd be at Jack's again today. Since yesterday's practice session ended up not happening, after the lead singer went missing all day. She thought Bianca would've told them all, maybe Mark would hate her. Maybe none of them would want to talk to her again. She hoped that would happen. It would hurt, of course, but at least it would make this disconnection easier. If she had nothing to do with Mark, there was no reason for her to see George and vice versa.

She pulled her jacket around her tightly, trying to use the material to squeeze all the air from her lungs. If she was to drop dead now, what would happen? Who would be to blame? No one but herself. She'd gotten in too deep. She'd let herself fall for George, when she was with Mark. All of this had gotten out of hand and she only had herself to blame.

Her lips burned with the ghost of George's last kiss. Her body longed to be held by him.

She shook her head, trying to shake away all those thoughts. This was it, it was going to end right here, right now, then all of this would be over. No more guilt, no more lies and cheating.

Without hesitation her finger pushed the doorbell and she waited. The door opened and Jack's mother was standing on the doorstep. She smiled warmly, welcoming, unaware of the events that were going to happen, unaware of the real reason Honor Flint was standing on her doorstep.

She was allowed inside the warm house and slipped her shoes off, not bothering to shrug her jacket from her shoulders. Mrs Sails didn't notice this and went back to the kitchen to carry on what she was doing before Honor had interrupted her.

The door leading down to the cellar was open, letting the drafty air creep up the stairs and into the family's main living space. Honor shivered as her sock clad feet came into contact with the stone steps. She slowly made her way down, various familiar voices meeting her ear drums. For a moment she felt comforted, but then her task snuck up on her and she shivered again.

"Honor, glad you could join us," Jack smiled warmly, "George told us you were sick yesterday."

"Um," she almost forgot her own lie. "Yeah, I was, the room was spinning and everything. Sorry about stealing George from you."

"Are you sure you're okay? You look really pale," Mark's tone was smothered in concern. He placed his guitar down and walked across to her, pressing the back of his hand against her forehead gently.

Her eyelids slid shut and she inhaled deeply. "I'm fine, Mark. Really. I came because I needed to talk to you." She opened her eyes and looked up at him, but her attention was drawn to something that was going on in the background.

George. Her George. The one she'd ditched only hours before, had his tongue down some other girl's throat. Honor didn't recognise her, all she knew is that she had dark chocolate coloured hair. They're mouths were locked in furious battle, the girl's fingers tangled up in George's soft hair.

Jealousy stung her insides and she swallowed hard to hold things together. This is what she wanted. What she needed.

"Mark, I'm breaking up with you. I'm so sorry," Honor managed to choke out, every pair of eyes were on her now. Mark swallowed hard, flexing his fingers, he closed his eyes. Honor could hear his heart cracking in two and shattering inside his chest. She despised herself.

"Why?" He asked, through gritted teeth, his eyes were still closed and he was breathing deeply, controlling the emotions racing through his body.

"I'll tell you some other time. I'm just so sorry, Mark," tears stung her eyes and she glanced at George to see him smirk at her, before passionately kissing the girl sitting beside him. That was it for her, she raced off back up the steep steps, slipping her shoes on, before fleeing from the house, never wishing to return.