Shine a Light

Nothings ever simple is it?

It was near eleven o’clock when I had gotten my act together. I hadn’t heard from Marcus which didn’t surprise me, he was either probably in a bar with the others or bumming Tre in the drummer’s hotel room. Pah. Sitting here flicking through the channels of my TV my thoughts whirred around in my skull. Things that once didn’t make sense had begun to fit together. Like when Jason asked me what I write for a living at the dinner table and Tre was about to let it slip that Billie had all my books but the singer cut him off to ask me a question he already knew the answer to.
“So What DO you write Vera?”
My breath hitched as I recalled the incident. I had begun to hate him for deceiving me. People were so full of shit. Great, a Ted Bundy documentary, that’s all I need to keep me from thinking about various ways in which Billie could kill me and preserve me with his collection of my books.
A knock erupted on my door and I froze at the noise.
“Shit” I hissed as I rose slowly from the bed as if the door would explode of its hinges. Slowly I peeped through the small circle of glass that all hotel rooms possessed for security reasons. I thanked the guy who had invented those things as I held my breath to see who had knocked. I exhaled slowly as I saw two male figures outside my room, one I knew very well.
Opening the door I saw the extent of Marcus’ drunkenness.
“Hey” Tre smiled as my slobbering friend stood propped up against his shoulder.
“I’m afraid we ended up in a bar after lunch and Marcus got a little worse for wear, I thought it best to bring him here if that’s okay. I didn’t know what else to do.”
I smiled at Tre if only Billie Joe possessed his honesty.
“Thanks Tre, I’m sorry you got lumbered with the gay drunk. I know exactly how bad he gets.”
Tre chuckled handing Marcus over to me, whose eyes were currently slammed shut, despite his emorexia frame he was a dead weight in my arms. I sandwiched him between myself and the door frame before turning to Tre.
“Did he behave himself?” I asked.
“Well he was very loud, very camp, very rude, basically the most fucking fabulous entertaining guy I’ve ever met. Apparently he has a thing for me anyway which I don’t blame him for.” Tre smirked dusting off his shoulders. I giggled politely, taking in his frame and cheeky face, Tre wasn’t at all bad looking. In fact, he was quite alluring.
“Did he attack you?” I asked cautiously my mind snapping back from my thoughts.
“I enjoyed it” Tre smirked again. He obviously didn’t know what had happened between me and Billie.
“I best get going anyway Vera, I probably see you tomorrow at dinner or something” Tre sighed backing away slowly from the door.
“Okay, yeah” I smiled hoisting up Marcus again. He defiantly didn’t know.
“Oh! Before I forget, Billie says to give you this.” I froze as Tre pulled out an envelope from his trouser pocket,
“Here…” he smiled handing it to me.
“See you around” he grinned turning to walk down the corridor. I stared at the letter before snapping back up to see Tre half way along the hallway.
“Thanks Tre!” I yelled as he winked at me and carried on walking.
I turned and grabbed Marcus under the arms, dragging him to my bed like a wounded solider. I flung him down on the mattress, removed his shoes and tie and sat on the edge of the bed staring at the envelope on my lap. Marcus began to snore and the TV flickered light across the room, illuminating the white paper. I turned it over to see VERA written in scrawny black letters. My heart thudded against my chest, what the hell was this. I ripped the seal open at the back. The noise shredding the sounds of Marcus’ comatose breathing, It was a letter, written in the same scrawny black…

Dear Vera,
I don’t know how to start, its probably best if I apologise. I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I should have told you when I first asked you for a light in the bar. I should have said, wow, your Vera Brown the writer aren’t you? I’m a big fan. But I didn’t and I don’t now why. I started reading your stuff ages ago and all the guys know how much I love your books. I was meaning to tell you but the longer it went on the harder it got.
You were the amazing and mysterious person that I knew you’d be, you inspired me so much especially at a time in my life when things weren’t going so well. I knew of the story about the hotel, that’s one of the reasons why I convinced the guys to come here, because it was so like your story “The Love Inferno”. I can see how freaked out you must be I’m sorry and I would like to make it up to you.
Please give me another chance, let me take you out for lunch tomorrow.
Meet me in the Lobby at half twelve if you can find it in your heart to give this retard another shot.
Lots of love Billie Joe xxx

I stared at the letter; Marcus groaned and turned over on the bed. My brain thudded so loudly I swear it echoed in the room. Do I go or not?