I'm Not Your Protege, Just Your Kid

Chapter One

”Mommy, where you going?” I asked as she pulled my jacket on me.

She didn’t answer and helped my twin brother Devon put on his sneakers. I kept calling her name but she ignored me and continued walking around our small apartment packing all of mine and Devon’s belongings in a big bag.

“Jayden, not now!” she yelled at me.

I huffed and sat next to Devon on the floor. He wrapped his arm around me and I wiped away my tears. She came over and made us slip our book bags on and handed each one of us our stuffed animal that we slept with.

“Come on let’s go,” she said, shutting off all the lights.

Before we left I grabbed the small picture off the side table that held a picture of mom, Devon and I. Mom had grabbed the two big bags and told us to hurry up and follow her.

After five minutes we made it to the bus stop just when the bus arrived.

“Come on kids,” mom said.

She put money for all three of us and we sat in the back as a few other people came on the bus. I sat quietly and started humming while looking at rain hit the window as we drove off.

I felt the bus start to slow down and mom grabbed the bags.

“Come on this is our stop,” she said.

We all got up and walked to the front as the bus stopped. We walked off and down the wet sidewalk. Mom led us up the stairs of an old building with only one lighted window. She brought us to the door just as the rain came down harder and put one of the bags on the doorstep. Her arm stretched out above us and rang the doorbell.

“Alright kids give me a hug,” she said with tears in her eyes.

Devon and I each gave her a hug and she pulled back.

“Always remember that I love you alright?” she said.

We nodded and she kissed Devon and my forehead. She stood up and started walking down the stairs just when someone opened the door from behind us.

“Mommy, please stay,” I said while she walked away.

My bottom lip started tremble and I sniffed so I could try and hide my tears from the person who opened the door. I screamed her name and ran down the stairs as she walked faster. I ran after her as fast as my small feet could carry me with tears coming down my face.

“Mommy!” I screamed but my voice got lost in the roar of the thunder as I watched my mother board the bus.

I screamed and cried for her to come back, but all she did was watch me from the bus window as it drove off. I felt myself going down as I tripped and fell hard onto the sidewalk.

I felt Devon’s small hands help me up and I started running again until someone picked both Devon and I up. All the air from my lungs escaped as I watched the bus turn a corner in the distance.

Just like that, my life was taken away and deep down both Devon and I knew we were never going to get it back.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I know, another story? I couldn't help it, I've been wanting to post this story for a while.

Tell me what you guys think of the new story. =)