I'm Not Your Protege, Just Your Kid

Chapter Twenty-Three

Devon’s P.O.V

Once I left the bathroom to get Jayden some clothes I leaned against the door and let out a shaky breath. Not once has Jayden ever reacted to drugs like she has tonight. To tell you the truth, she scared the shit out of me when she kept complaining about being hot.

I moved away from the bathroom door and walked into Jayden’s room. I grabbed some shorts and a tank top for her to sleep in and I started going through drawers to find her some underclothes. I finally found her bra’s and just snatched one. The drawer underneath it had her underwear and I felt so awkward going through them trying to find her one. I sucked it up and grabbed any that my hand landed on and slammed back the drawer.

I threw the clothes on her bed and ran back in the bathroom. I took a sharp intake of breath and ran over to the tub.

“Fuck, wake up Jayden,” I said to her and started to pat her cheek. Her head just lolled to the side and I nearly had a heart attack, but than I calmed down once I realized that she was still breathing.

I shut off the shower and wrapped an over-sized towel around her freezing body. I started to carefully dry her off and I started to carry her out of the bathroom. I tripped over my own foot and I fell, dropping Jayden with a loud thud in the process.

“What was that?” I heard Zack ask somebody downstairs. It was than that I just realized that everyone had gone home and it was just the guys downstairs, meaning the music was shut off, allowing them to hear what was going on up here. I started panicking and dragged Jayden into her bedroom. I shut the door and locked it.

I threw her down on the bed and took off her towel. I took a deep breath because I felt so uncomfortable doing this. I pulled up her underwear and went to put on her bra. I happened to look at the tag and my eyes nearly fell out of their head. Good lord, no wonder Noah always looked at her chest. I slipped on her bra and now all I had left were her pajamas.

After I pulled up her shorts I heard faint footsteps coming up the stairs. I felt my stomach go hollow and I roughly yanked Jayden’s top over her head. I thrust her arms through the straps and I rolled her over. I pulled down the covers and put her underneath. She absentmindedly rolled over in her sleep and I shut off the light. I rushed out of her room and shut the door just as Zack stepped onto the landing in front of me.

“Hey Zack,” I nervously said with a smile.

“Hey, what was that loud noise up here?” he asked.

“What noise?” I asked, still standing in front of the door.

“There was a loud noise up here a few minutes ago. It sounded as if someone fell,”

“Oh, that was just Jayden, you know how clumsy she can get,” I chuckled.

“Oh okay, well I thought I heard her scream too,” he said.

“She was screaming because the water was too cold,” I explained.

“Well, let me go talk to her,” Zack said.

“No!” I shouted and continued to block the door, causing Zack to raise his eyebrow at me.

“Why not?” he asked me suspiciously.

“Because she’s sleeping,” I said in a ‘duh’ tone.

“Alright than, I guess I’ll talk to her in the morning,” he shrugged.

“Sound’s good. Good night,” I said as he started walking back down the stairs.

“Oh yeah, Devon ?” he called back.

“Yeah?”

“Just ignore the mess downstairs, we’ll clean it up tomorrow,” Zack told me.

“Okay,”

When Zack was finally downstairs I let out a sigh of relief and walked into my room. I took off my clothes and climbed into bed, wanting to forget about Jayden’s decision to do drugs tonight.

Jayden’s P.O.V

It felt like an 18-wheeler had run over my head, backed up and ran over it again. My arms felt heavy and my head felt as if there were lead it in when I rolled over. Everything felt like it was spinning and I squeezed my eyes shut to try and stop the sickening motion. I started taking deep breaths and pressed the palms of my hands to my eyes.

When the world seemed to stop spinning I opened my eyes and just stared at the ceiling. I sighed and decided to get up and shower, hopefully wash away my mistakes too. I threw the covers off of me and I swung my legs over the side of the bed. I shuffled out of my bedroom and walked into my bathroom. I shut the door quietly so I wouldn’t wake anyone up and I looked at myself in the mirror.

My skin was pale as can be, making the bags under my eyes stand out more. My once bright green eyes were dull and my usually straight hair fell around my face in soft waves. I ran my hand through my hair and I winced when my hand passed over a rather large lump. I pulled my hair away from my scalp and I could see a lump near the back of my head.

How the fuck did that get there?

I let out a long string of breath and turned on the faucet. I quickly brushed my teeth and washed my face, getting rid of the bit of make-up that remained on my face from last night.

I dried off my face and walked back in my bedroom. My eyes were shut so I didn’t see Devon sitting on my bed.

“You’re finally up I see,” he said.

I gasped in surprised and placed a hand on my chest. “What the fuck Devon? Don’t scare me like that again,” I said.

“You fucked up badly last night,” he said.

“I know Devon, you don’t need to fucking remind me,” I snapped.

“Yes I do so next time you wanna go get your pick-me-up you’ll remember what happened,” he coldly said to me.

“If you’re only gonna scold me than get the fuck out and leave me alone,” I told Devon and glared at him.

“Fine,” he said and got up from my bed. He stormed out of my room into his and slammed the door.

I balled up my fist and stomped down the stairs, not caring if I was making too much noise. I walked through the disgusting mess that covered the floor and grabbed Zack’s pack of cigarettes and lighter off the counter. I walked out onto the back porch and threw myself down into a plastic, lawn chair. I took a cigarette out of the pack and lit the end. I inhaled deeply and slowly let out a chain of smoke.

I got lost in the taste of the Newport’s that I didn’t hear the back door slide open and close.

“What are you doing out here?” someone asked.

I gasped in shock and ended up sucking in too much of the cigarette. I started chocking and coughed out what I inhaled. I beat my chest to help and when I finally stopped chocking I sat up straight and saw Brian leaning against the railing with his arms crossed.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“Yeah, I’m just fucking peachy,” I snapped and finished off my cigarette. I took another one out of the box and lit the end. I inhaled the intoxicating nicotine and blew out smoke.

“So what happened? I heard you and Devon arguing upstairs and someone slam their door,” he said and took out a Marlboro cigarette of his own.

“Obviously it was Devon if I’m sitting here smoking,” I said in a ‘duh’ tone.

“You know you don’t have to be such a bitch,” he said.

“You don’t have to be so annoying,” I shot back.

He sighed in aggravation and continued to smoke his cigarette. I let out whatever I inhaled and the smoke came out in the shape of a ring.

“Holy shit, how’d you do that?” Brian asked me.

“I don’t know, I just did it,” I shrugged and continued to let out smoke rings.

Brian screwed up his face, trying to make it like mine, and blow out some smoke. “Did I do it!?” he asked me.

“No,” I simply said and flicked the ashes off the end of my cigarette.

His face fell and I felt better that someone else other than me was put down. I took one last puff and let out another smoke ring just to rub it in Brian’s face and stomped out the cigarette.

“Smell ya’ later,” I said and walked back inside.

“Good morning,” Matt greeted from the sink.

“Eh,” I said and walked towards the fridge. I grabbed the last energy drink from the back of the fridge and popped it open. I downed half of the can before I turned back around and hopped onto the counter next to Matt.

“How was the party?” I asked and continued taking sips of the No Fear energy drink on my hand.

“It was fucking awesome. How was trick-or-treating?” he politely asked back and continued rinsing off the mountain of dishes and placing them in the dishwasher.

“Amazing! I got a shit load of candy. I haven’t started to eat it yet though,” I said and took another sip of my drink.

“Well you better start before Jimmy get’s to it,” he chuckled.

“Before I get to what?” Jimmy asked walking into the kitchen, yawning obnoxiously and scratching his bird nest hair.

“Before you catch an STD,” I quickly said in a serious tone.

“Wait what?” he asked in a panicky voice.

“You mean you don’t remember last night?” I asked, ignoring Matt next to me and Brian who now walked in.

“No, what happened?” he asked.

“You went off with some slut when you were drunk off your ass,” I told him and gave him the best sympathetic look I could muster.

His eyes got wide and it took everything I had to prevent myself from laughing. “Oh my god,” he said and let out a deep breath.

“I’m sorry to say this Jimmy, but,” I took a deep breath and placed a hand on his shoulder. “You’re an idiot,” I said and sniffed.

He looked up at me with a confused expression and I started laughing hard. Matt and Brian joined me and when I looked at Jimmy’s disbelieving look I couldn’t help but laugh harder. Some of the energy drink that was in my mouth ended up squirting out of my nose.

Matt and Brian laughed even harder and even Jimmy started laughing too. Even if my nose burned from the liquid shooting out of it, it was still funny.

After a while we finally got our laughter under control and started to catch back our breaths. I let out one last chuckle and finished off my energy drink. I crumpled the can and threw it into the open garbage can.

“Nice one,” Johnny commented on the way into the kitchen with Lacey right behind him.

“Hey Lacey, I didn’t see you when I came down,” I said.

“I was sleeping in one of the guest bedrooms with Johnny,” she smiled at me.

“Are the rest of the girls here?” I asked.

“Yeah, Gena is the only one gone because she had to go to work,” Lacey said.

“How sad,” I smirked.

Everyone laughed at me and Zack came shuffling into the kitchen.

“Hey old man,” I said.

“Morning,” he said.

“We’ll I’m going back upstairs to eat my candy. I will see you all later,” I said and walked out of the kitchen.

I walked upstairs and I looked at Devon closed door and heard the music blasting in his room. I bit my lip and solemnly walked into my room, feeling like shit for snapping at Devon earlier.
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy crap, I'm terribly, terribly sorry for the long wait.
I know I shouldn't make excuses but I've been extremely busy with schoolwork and haven't had time to do anything.
I'll try and update this story along with the rest of my stories more often, but it's going to be hard.