I'm Not Your Protege, Just Your Kid

Chapter Thirty-Six

Devon and I had ended up playing about two more shows until the guys fully recovered. We had developed a fan base of our own and it felt incredible. Neither of us thought we were that good, but I guess the kids thought differently. It made me feel good when the crowds booed when we announced that we would no longer be playing. On the guys MySpace page, people had left comments about us.

At the moment, Devon and myself were using Zacky's and Matt's laptops to do our online homework we were assigned. We couldn't really concentrate on our work though because we were bouncing in our seats in pure excitement. This was happening because our next stop was our old hometown of Detroit, Michigan. Not only were we going there next, but tomorrow was our day off and we'd be spending the day on the town.

"Are you guys excited about going back to Detroit?" Zacky grinned as I typed in my answer for a math problem.

"Oh my god, yes!" I smiled and turned to him. "Devon and I are going to show you and everyone else where we hung out and where our old school was,"

"And where we broke our legs because of Jayden," Devon added from behind Matt's laptop where he was currently doing an English assignment.

"Oh shut up, that guy deserved to be slugged a good one in his nose,"

"What did he do?" Johnny asked from the couch.

"He hit on Jayden before the game," Devon snickered.

"With a weak ass pick-up line at that," I added and huffed.

The guys started laughing and Jimmy piped up. "What did Romeo say?"

I cleared my throat and put on my best male voice. "After the game I'm going to hit your puck with my stick,"

The guys roared in laughter at my dispense and I grumbled as I moved onto my next assignment. Now that I actually thought about what the guy said, I couldn't help but laugh myself.

"I can't believe he said that," Brian wheezed out while holding his side.

"Me either!" I exclaimed. "So I remembered the number on his jersey and I kept taking him out on the ice," I shrugged.

"Yeah, and apparently his little clique didn't like that a lot because they ganged up on her, kept slamming her into walls and that's when I stepped in and you know the end result," Devon shrugged a bony shoulder.

"Well I'm glad you had such fond memories before coming out to California," Zack chuckled and ruffled my hair while kissing my forehead.

I grumbled and wiped away the kiss that he imprinted on my forehead.

xxx

The next morning I was the only one still sleeping in my bunk when Devon came rushing into the back area. He immediately came to my bunk and started shaking me.

"Jayden, get up!" he excitedly said.

"Why?" I groaned and rolled onto my stomach.

"We're here!" he shook me some more.

"Where?" I groaned into my pillow.

"Home!"

At the word 'home' my green eyes shot open to look at the identical ones gazing back at me. Devon had a huge grin on his face when he saw that I realized where we were. We were indeed home, we were in Detroit.

I squealed and hopped out of my bunk, completely forgetting that I was just wearing my boy shorts and a black cami. I ignored Devon's noise of disgust and rushed into the sitting area where everyone else was.

"Jayden! Cover up! All of Detroit could see your business," Zack said.

I ignored him too and automatically glued my face to the window and looked outside at the familiar buildings. I felt like a kid on Christmas when they find out that the biggest present underneath the tree is for them. Detroit was the big gift box with a bow neatly put on top, and it was mine, all mine.

"Nice ass Jayden," Matt chuckled on his way to the kitchen.

"We're going to check into a hotel and then we'll rent a car and we'll see what happens from there," Zack said to us as my breath continued to fog up the window.

I relunctantly peeled my face off the window and bounded off to the bathroom to take a shower.

45 minutes later, all three bands were standing in the lobby of a hotel, waiting to get our rooms situated. I was bouncing on the balls of my feet in excitement as I kept my gaze locked outside on the snowy scenery just behind the two glass doors.

"You excited about being home?" someone asked me.

I looked to my left and saw that it was Jacoby who had asked me the question. For once I wasn't acting like a little school girl around him because I was home, I was in my comfort zone.

"I'm so excited, you guys can't even begin to understand," I sighed in content.

The guys walked over with the room keys and I snatched one out of his hand before a word could get passed his lips. Devon and I sprinted towards the elevator with our bags and kept pressing the button to our floor.

We didn't even look at the room like we usually do, instead we just flung our bags inside and raced down the stairs back to the lobby. We raced over to Zack and looked at him with wide eyes.

"Did you guys get the keys to the rental car?" I asked.

"Yup, they're right here," he said and dangled them in front of my face.

I snatched those keys too and took off with the guys hot on my tail.

"Wait Jayden! You can't even drive," he said once we were outside and I stopped in front of our temporary SUV.

"That's what you think," I smirked.

"Yeah, we're on our turf now, so deal," Devon said and climbed into the passenger seat while I got into the driver's seat.

"Are you guys getting in or not?" I stuck my head out the window.

They climbed in, all with nervous looks on their faces. "Don't worry guys, we know how to drive," Devon chuckled when he looked in the mirror.

"Are you sure?" Brian skeptically asked.

"We spent a great amount of time hot wiring cars and test driving them. You have nothing to worry about," I smirked once again and pulled away from the curb.

We drove around, Devon and I pointing out places where we frequently visited. I took a familiar path that was etched into my brain and no less then 15 minutes later, I was parked in front of my old house, the one I was sent back to numerous times when a family didn't want me or Devon.

I sat back in my seat and stared at the old brick building I once called home. Flashback upon flashback came from the locked up section of my brain and played in front of my eyes.

"What's this place?" Jimmy whispered from the back.

"Home," I grinned and climbed out the truck.

I pulled my jacket closer to my body as snow slowly drifted down from the cloudy gray sky above. Devon and I stood side by side on the sidewalk, with the guys behind us, staring at the orphanage we once vacated. From a place deep in my brain where I stored forgotten memories, I witnessed one of a little girl running through the rain down this same sidewalk. I shook my head and Devon grabbed my hand before leading me up the front steps.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. Nerves wrenched my guts as I heard faint footsteps slide across the floor from the other side of the door. The door gently opened and I felt tears sting the back of my eyes as I watched my former caretaker stand in front of me with a shocked expression.

"Oh my god," Ms. Brown gasped. "Is that my two little trouble makers?" she said with watery eyes.

Devon and I flung ourselves at her, crouching in the process, and squeezed her in a tight hug. Both Devon and I whined though at the familiar feel of the swat Ms. Brown gave to our heads.

"Geez, I thought you'd be happy to see us," I said and rubbed my head.

"Yeah, ain't you happy?" Devon asked, recipricating my actions.

"I told you guys to call me once you got to California," she wagged her finger at us. " I was worried sick about you two," she scolded, but a smile soon broke out on her face.

Just then I remembered the guys standing behind us. "Oh, we'd like you to meet someone," I said and turned back to the guys. I beckoned for Zack to come and he nervously stepped to the doorway.

"Ms. Brown, this is Zack, my fat-"

"Father," she smiled warmly. I gave her a confused expression and she chuckled. "You and Devon have his eyes," she grinned.

"Duh," I said to myself.

"Well come on in you lot, you must be freezing," she said and ushered all seven of us inside.

Once we were all in, we beat the snow off our shoes and hung up our jackets. The old house was quiet so I assumed the children must be at school right now. We were sat down at the old large table that was located in the dining room.

"Let me go put the water on to boil and make some hot chocolate for us," Ms. Brown said and walked away.

I looked around at the familiar place, taking in the scent and every detail I'd forgotten over the past few months. I looked down and I chuckled when I realized that I was sitting in my old seat. I guess old habits die hard. I ran my fingers across the jagged 'Jayden' that was scratched into the wood.

"I see you were a rebel since you were small too," Zack said.

I looked up and he was grinning at me, understanding how I was feeling right now. I was in the one place where I had grown up, had once called home. Even though I was living with Zack now, it wasn't the same as the old, creaky, brick building we were all sitting in right now.

"So, who drove here," Ms. Brown asked as she walked back in. She sent Devon and I knowing looks and we grinned sheepishly.

"Jayden did," Brian answered.

"I see you're still hot wiring cars, and you're still the lookout," she laughed at her nickname for Devon.

"Hey!" I put my hands on my hips, amusing the guys. "I didn't hot wire the truck outside, it's a rental,"

"Sure it is dear," she patted my head and sat down at the head of the table.

For the next hour or so, we all talked and laughed over mugs of steaming hot chocolate. Stories were shared, from embarassing ones to even more embarassing ones. She brought out some old pictures of her own and showed the guys childhood pictures of Devon and I.

I looked at the clock and saw that school would be let out soon and kids would be storming in the house soon enough. I stood up from my chair and so did Devon.

"We have to get going soon Ms. Brown," I said.

"Okay, do you guys want to look at your old room first before heading off?" she offered.

"Yes please," I answered.

She nodded and let us go on our way, the guys right behind us. We walked up the small flight of stairs and we stopped at the third door on the left hand side of the hall. Devon opened the door and we stepped inside the small room. Our twin beds, that were way to short for our legs, were still in the same place, but now covered by different quilts.

"Wow, this place is small," Johnny said as they gazed around.

"Yeah, but we sure had some fun times here," Devon told them.

"Look! Our names are still here," I squealed and raced over to the beds.

Scratched in each of the headboards were the name 'Jayden' and 'Devon'. A thought struck me and I went across the hall to the other bedroom. I opened the door and I felt my heart sink when I saw that the room was empty. My other best friend, besides Devon of course, was a boy our age named Kevin. We shared our first kiss together underneath the tree in the backyard and we were attached at the hip. He was my first love and my best friend. I bit my lip and silently rushed downstairs.

"Hey, where's Kevin at? His room is empty," I walked into the sitting area where Ms. Brown was sitting in a chair in front of the fireplace.

I heard everyone else shuffle in behind me, but I ignored them.

"He's gone dear," she sighed.

"You mean he finally got adopted? Where did he g-" I was cut off.

"No, I mean he's gone Jayden. He died a month after you left," she solemnly said.

My throat constricted, trying to fight back tears. "How?" I croaked.

"A drive by on his way home from school,"

I heard the guys gasp from behind and I bit my lip, mentally cursing myself when I felt a tear slip down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away and I heard the bus pull up in front.

"I guess you guys best be going," Ms. Brown stood up from her chair.

She wrapped Devon in a hug and kissed his cheek and then came over to me. "I'm so sorry dear," she whispered in my ear as she hugged me. "Keep in touch okay?"

I only nodded, not being able to speak. I gave her a faint smile and rushed outside where kids of all ages were coming up the slippery path. A few kids who recognized me gave me a hug as I walked by. I unlocked my door and climbed into the drivers seat. I rested my head on the steering wheel and let the tears start to come down little by little. When the guys climbed back in I quickly stopped crying and sat back up, putting on my seatbelt.

I waved to Ms. Brown through the window and pulled away from the curb. The car was silent as I kept my eyes on the road and didn't utter a word. I knew the guys wanted to say something, but didn't know what.

"You guys want to see our old highschool?" I croaked a while later, trying to break the silence.

"Sure," someone answered.

I nodded and drove towards my old school, my mind plagued by Kevin.
♠ ♠ ♠
I start school on Monday, ugh, so the updates are going to start slowing down. =[
So, sorry about the sad stuff in this one, but the story needed it. And the next part is going to be a tear jerker too.