I'm Not Your Protege, Just Your Kid

Chapter Forty-Three

Zack's P.O.V

I walked back in my room, drying my hair with a towel and then throwing it in the hamper. It was only 5:30 in the morning and the guys, my self and the kids had to be in the airport for seven so we could catch our flight to New York.

At the thought of the kids, I felt guilt overcome me again. I still felt like shit for accusing them of stealing yesterday. Jayden's words still rung in my head.

You're a shitty ass father for not trusting your kids.

She was right. I was a shitty ass father. I never really trusted them on certain things because I always thought back to their files that were sent to me when I first found out about them. Said files were tucked away in the bottom drawer of my dresser.

I was going to wake them up this morning to get ready, but I heard their footsteps upstairs going back forth from their rooms to the bathroom. I got dressed and pulled on a hoodie since I knew it would be snowing in New York. I threw the rest of my stuff that I needed into my duffel bag that was sitting on the bed and zipped it up. I sat on the bed and was about to pull on my sneakers when my phone rang from the side table.

"Hello?" I yawned.

"Hey, man. You guys up?" I heard Matt ask.

"Yeah,"

"Alright, well the taxi's going to swing by your house in about 15 minutes so be waiting outside,"

"Alright, see you soon,"

We hung up and I stuffed my feet in some sneakers. I grabbed my phone, wallet and keys and threw the duffel bag over my shoulder. I opened my door and nearly fell flat on my face. In a neat pile in front of my door were the presents Gabbyand I gave to Jayden and Devon yesterday. I sighed and swallowed the lump in my throat. I bent down and grabbed the stuff and put them on my bed.

I really fucked up big time with the kids. They didn't even want the expensive gifts that I bought them. Speaking of gifts, I had yet to look at the photo album that they made for me. I packed it in my bag so I could look at it later on while on the way to the next venue.

I walked out the room and placed my bag by the front door. I stood by the edge of the steps and hollered the kids names.

"We have to go outside and wait for the taxi to pick us up!"

I didn't get a response, but I did hear them walking around upstairs. I heard someone speaking, but couldn't make out who was talking and what they were saying. I went into the kitchen to get something to eat real quick. I grabbed a pop-tart and heard the kids come downstairs. Before I could even greet them I heard the front door open and then slam shut. The only noise in the house now was the sound of me opening the aluminum wrapper of the pop-tart.

I sighed and shut off the kitchen light. I grabbed my bag and stepped outside. I locked the front door and saw Jayden and Devon sitting on their bags at the end of the driveway. They weren't talking, but they were each smoking a cigarette. Both of them each had their hoods up over their heads so I couldn't take a look at their faces.

"Good morning," I mumbled once I set my bag down next to them and remained standing so I could eat my breakfast.

They didn't answer, instead they continued to take puffs of their cigarettes and blowing smoke out into the chilly morning air. Usually I would've yelled at them for smoking, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't give two shits about what I said to them right now.

I counted down the minutes until the taxi would come and pick us up. I felt awkward standing next to Jayden and Devon in my own damn driveway. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw the big taxi van from the airport turn the corner and stop in front of our house. Jayden and Devon stomped out their cigarettes and got up with their bags in hand. The door opened and the driver came out to take our bags.

Matt took up the passenger seat, Jimmy and Brian were sitting on the middle row seats and Johnny was nodding off in the back row seats. Jayden and Devon climbed in the back seats which left me to sit with Brian and Jimmy.

"Hey guys," Jimmy smiled at us.

"Hey, man," I said. Jayden and Devon didn't answer, hell they didn't even show any signs that they heard Jimmy.

"Okay," Jimmy said slowly and turned back around in his seat.

"What's up with your kids?" Brian whispered as the driver took off to the airport.

"I'll explain it later," I answered.

I was scared shitless to admit to the guys what happened yesterday. They would be disappointed in me.

Jayden's P.O.V

The plane just landed in JFK airport and I sighed in relief. This was only the third time in my life that I've ever been on a plane. This time I didn't have any drugs on me to calm me down before the flight so I decided just to sleep the whole time.

We got permission to get up from our seats and I quickly unbuckled the seat belt. I got up with Devon behind me and we walked off the plane behind everyone else. Our large, intimidating looking group weaved in and out of people until we got to the baggage claim.

"I'm so damn tired," I yawned and leaned against Devon.

Zacky glanced over at us and I rolled my eyes before looking away. What Zack did yesterday still stung. I knew it was affecting Devon as well, but he was able to hide his emotions a bit better than I did. I usually just showed my emotions through anger, which always seemed to work in the past.

One by one our bags came out on the conveyer belt. I let out a huge yawn while grabbing my bag and the old woman next to us gave me a look of disdain.

"What?" I snapped. "I can't yawn in public?" I asked.

She le tout a 'hmph' sound and walked away,

"Was that necessary?" Devon asked.

"Very,"

"Come on, there's a taxi outside waiting to take us to the tour bus," Matt announced.

"Does this man plan out everything?" I asked Devon.

"I don't know, why?" he chuckled.

"Because everything's so fucking organized and he seems to know everything," I rolled.

"Maybe he does plan out everything. He probably plans out when he's going to have sex with Val," he snickered.

"Gross," I wrinkled my nose in disgust.

"You know, I heard you guys," Johnny mumbled to us when we were outside.

"You know we're right,"

"Unbelieveable," he smirked and put his hands in his hoodie pockets.

We put our bags in the back of the taxi and everyone sat in the same positions as last time. We took off and I looked at the snow falling outside.

About an hour later we were standing in front of the bus. Matt punched in the code and we went inside the warm bus.

"Great, we're back to small beds again," Jimmy groaned.

Devon and I went in the bunk area and placed our bags on the top bunks. We took out the guys presents and placed them on their bunks. I was tempest to leave a nasty note in Zack's bunk, but decided not to. If Zack couldn't trust us, then we'll give him a reason not to trust us.

Zack's life was going to be a living nightmare.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jayden's outfit