You Love To Hate Me

Chapter 11

We stepped off the plane. The cool Chicago hit us rudely. I already missed the warm Vegas air. We walked to baggage claim and got our bags. We walked to the airport's parking lot to get to our car which was still there.

For reasons unknown, I had a fear that someone would steal my car while I was away. Kat told me I was insane, but I felt how I felt. I turned my phone on when I sat down in the passenger seat. I had three new text messages. Two were from Max, and one from Ronnie. I laughed at Max's texts. One of them said 'Hi' and the other one was yelling at me telling me that I could use my phone on the plane, and I should stop listening to rules. Ronnie's said that he wanted me to call him once I got home.

We drove for forty minutes until we arrived outside our apartment building. We decided to leave our bags in the car until tomorrow morning. We lazily walked up to the second floor where out apartment was. We stood outside our door staring blankly at the piece of paper.

"Evicted!" I shouted.
"How the fuck did we get evicted?"

"Keep your voice down Maddie."

"Sorry Kat, but this is bullshit." We heard a door opening and closing and turned to the source. Old Henry the billionth was walking towards us in his faded blue robe.

"It is about time you two got back. The landlord evicted you two a long time ago."

"When?" Kat asked.

"And why?" I yelled. Kat hit me again and I rolled my eyes.

"Almost a week ago, and because your rent was overdue."

"Kat, you are in charge of the rent." I said staring at her. Her face look petrified.

"Don't hate me Madz, but I didn't pay the rent this month."

"Why?"

"I went tanning." I stared at her in disbelief. I then turned around and ran down the stairs. I walked out of the building and sat on the hood of our car.

"I'm sorry Maddie." Kat said running out of the building.

"You never pay the rent. You always say you will, but you take the money for your own pleasures."

"What are we going to do?"

I thought for a few moments until the unbelievable popped into my head. I jumped off the car and got into the car. Kat ran and got into it too. I started it and drove off.

"Where are we going?"

"Las Vegas, Nevada."