You Love To Hate Me

Chapter 14

I put a glass mug into the sink and leaned on the counter. Max was sitting at the table eating a bowl of cereal. He was still in his black t-shirt and red plaid pajama pants. I wasn't. I was in a pair of black jeans and one of my cut up band t-shirts. Today I was wearing a Bon Jovi one.

Max looked up at me with his mouth full of sugary cereal. He smiled and swallowed the food.

"Excited for your first day at work?"

"Sure," I said playing with the bottom of my shirt.

"You were the one who insisted on getting a job. I told you that you didn't have to."

"I know, I know, I just felt bad and like a mooch if I didn't help somehow." I looked at the stove's clock. It was time for me to go.
"Alright, well I'm leaving."

Max jumped up and walked me to the door. My new job was in walking distance so I didn't have to have Max drive me. He leaned in and gave me a hug. I pulled away and walked down the stairs, and out of the building. I walked quickly down the cracked sidewalk, and crossed the street. The music store was called Jimmie's Music. I have yet to meet this Jimmie fella.

I laughed to myself and walked up to the store's door. I grabbed the black metal handle and opened the door. I walked inside and was overcome with cold air and loud music from the 80's; a perfect scenario for me. I walked up to the glass counter where a blonde girl was turned around. I suddenly felt nervous and anxious. I cleared my throat and the girl turned around.

"Hey, how may I help you?" She asked with a smooth voice.

"Hey, I'm Madison. I work here and this is my first day."

"Oh hey, let me go and get Chad. Hold on for a sec." She calmly walked through a door and came out moments later with an older man behind her. I recognized the guy from my interview. He was balding with graying hair. He had a gray goatee and just by looking at him he seemed friendly.

"Hey Madison, and welcome to the Jimmie family. You'll meet him sooner or later." Chad smiled warmly at me. Any nervous feelings I had vanished when he smiled.
"Michelle here will help you around for the first day or two." I smiled at Michelle who smiled back.

We spent the day organizing CD's and messing with people who decided to walk into the store. We were both behind the counter, and I was drawing on the wall with a sharpie.

"You are vandalizing the store." Michelle joked.

"I work here. I'm just leaving my mark." She laughed and taped the glass counter with her fingers. A bell rung signifying someone entered the store.

"Welcome to Jimmie's Music, may I take your order?" I said while still drawing on the wall. Michelle was holding in laughs and I turned around. Ronnie was looking at me smiling.

"I take it you like your job?"

"Pretty much, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"Well I woke up and you were nowhere in sight. I freaked out, and ran into the living room where Kat was getting nasty with Chris. Then my eyes started burning. Then I ran into Max's room and told him I was blind. He tripped me and I fell on the floor. I got up, punched him, got dressed, and then he told me where to find you. So here I am!" He cheered the last part.

"Well it's nice to see you and everything, but I'm not done for another hour." His face fell.

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Go shopping and get food for the apartment."

"I want to do that with you!"

"Are you kidding me?"

"No..." He trailed off.

"Then go home, and I'll call you when I'm done." He smiled and hopped over the counter. He hugged me and then hopped over the counter again.

"Don't break it!" Michelle called. He waved and left the store. She looked at me with her eyebrows raised.
"Is that your lover?"

"No, we're just friends."

"It doesn't look like that to me."

"Well it's true."

"I sense something more brewing." She winked.