You Love To Hate Me

Chapter 19

I woke up in the wrong bed. The wrong body was next to me. It was wrong to not be wearing clothes, and it was wrong to not know what had happened the previous night. I rolled over and looked at Max who was quietly sleeping. I wrapped his sheet tightly around my body and stayed where I was. When his breathing became shorter I knew he was waking up. I quickly closed my eyes and pretended to be sleeping.

I felt his side of his twin sized bed shift, and then get lighter. I heard incoherent words come from his mouth, and the side of his bed get only slightly heavier. I felt a hand on my bare shoulder, and slowly opened my eyes. His eyes only held concern.

"What's wrong Max?" I asked.

"Do you know what happened last night?" He asked his voice raspy.

"Not a clue," I looked down at my body.
"Well one thing is obvious."

"Another thing is obvious too." He said.

"What?"

"I think we got married."

I shot up in the bed forgetting my lack of clothing. Max's cheeks went red, and I grabbed his bed sheet and wrapped it around me. I looked at him speechless and then down at my left hand. Indeed there was a silver band around my once bare ring finger. I looked back up at Max.

"What do you want to do about this?"

He looked down unsure on what to say. I had a feeling he knew what he wanted to do, but was considering if he should tell me. I lightly touched his arm and he looked back at me. A small unsure smile played on his lips.

"We could work it out."

"What do you mean?"

"We could make it work."

"You have to be kidding me." He frowned slightly.

"What's wrong?"

"What about Michelle? I thought you liked her. I thought you two were going out. I didn't think..." I trailed off. I looked at him and he sat down next to me. He grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I shook my head.
"Max..."

"Maddie, there has to be a reason this happened like it did."

"We were drunk; you're not going to find some meaning behind it."

"But it could have been you with someone else, but you were with me."

I sighed loudly and leaned against the wall. He scooted closer to me.

"Maddie please," He practically begged.

"Why are you pushing this Max?" I almost snapped. He looked taken back
"I'm sorry, it's just, I don't know."

"Let's try being married. If it doesn't work, it just doesn't work, but you will never know if you don't try." I looked at Max and he kissed my cheek.

"Alright Max."