You Love To Hate Me

Chapter 20

I walked into work pretty terrified. Max called Michelle a few days ago breaking the news to her. He told me she had nothing to say, but no one has nothing to say. Michelle knew I like Ronnie. I was ready to be stabbed in the ears. I walked behind the counter, and into the back to check in with Chad.

"Hey Chad," I said looking for him. He popped out from behind a black curtain.

"Hey Madison how are you today?" He asked with a large box in his hands.

"I'm good. Do you need help with that?"

"No, I'm good." He walked passed me and into the store. He placed the big box on the counter.
"Michelle told me about what happened to you this weekend."

"Did she sound mad?"

"She wasn't happy, but she didn't say anything negative about you. She sees you as a sister you know. I don't think she could hate you if she tried."

Not one second later Michelle walked through the doors looking equally as nervous as I did when I walked through. She looked at me and instantly adverted her gaze to Chad.

"Sorry I'm late Chad, I woke up late and had to grab a Monster from the gas station around the corner." Chad laughed and shook his head.

"It's all good Michelle. I have to continue doing stuff in the back. You two have fun out here." He left and an awkward silence filled the air. I nervously looked at Michelle, and she nervously looked at me.

"I'm sorry Michelle." I said quietly.

"You don't have to be Madz. It isn't your fault. Stuff happens, and you never know, maybe you and Max are just meant to be."

"I feel so bad." She gave me a weak smile.

"Don't feel bad. It isn't like Max and I were dating for a long time or engaged or something."

"That is true."

She walked behind the counter and gave me a tight hug. She pulled away and smiled.

"I'm happy for you. Let's hope it is all good."

"Thanks Michelle."

We got to work, and it ended pretty boring. I left the store the same time usually did and alone once again. I knew Ronnie didn't want to see my guts, and I didn't blame him. I wouldn't want to see me either, but we weren't going out so I don't think he should be mad or anything.

I walked into what I thought was an empty apartment. I knew Max wouldn't be there. He was busy shopping for more clothes. I didn't understand why, he wears the same thing every day; tight black pants and band t-shirts, but I wasn't going to stop him.

I walked into the kitchen and turned on the light. I left the kitchen, and went into Max's room. Since Max and I are kind of married I decided it would be best to move my stuff into his room. I took off my shirt and put on a hoodie. I walked back into the kitchen and noticed there was a new message on the answering machine. I pressed the play button, and Kat's voice burst through the small speaker.

"Hey Maddie, it's Kat. Long time no talk right? Well I think we should see each other you know. I miss you, and I have some stuff to tell you about. Call me back when you get this message. Bye."

I erased the message, and grabbed a diet coke from the fridge. I opened it and let the cool beverage slide down my throat. I heard a door open and was startled to see Ronnie walk into the kitchen. He looked like a complete mess.

"Hello Madison." He said plainly grabbing something from the cabinets.

"Hey Ronnie," I said back and sat down at the table. He leaned against the counter and looked at me.

"You remind me of one of my ex's. She was a model, and a bitch." He snarled. My jaw dropped, and I squinted my eyes.
"You shouldn't do that. I heard it causes wrinkles."

I stood up and went to leave the kitchen. When I was in the doorway Ronnie said one last thing.

"Nice chatting with you Madison."