You Love To Hate Me

Chapter 27

I sat on the smelly couch. I sat there with a twisted stomach. It was my luck that no one was home when I got home. A small whine came from the floor. My glance went from the white wall to the floor where Poe sat there with sadness in his eyes.

"What's wrong buddy?" I asked worry taking over. I got off the couch and kneeled down to him. He licked my face and the sound of keys entering the locked door filled the once dead quiet apartment. Poe's ears perked up and looked towards the door. It opened slowly and Max walking inside.

"Hey Madz," He said walking into the living room. He looked at me and then his expression changed from happy to concerning.
"What's wrong doll?"

"Nothing's wrong, why would you think that?"

"Maddie, I was married to you for almost a year. I think I would know when something was wrong."

"I'm just waiting for Ronnie to get home." And like just mentioning his name he walked through the door. He looked at me and smiled. Pain struck through my chest and I looked away. Just like Max had done he quickly asked me what was wrong.

"Are you alright?"

I smiled weakly at both of them. I looked down at Poe for confidence. Then I looked back at them both waiting for me to speak. I took a deep breath and began talking.

"The owner of the place I work at came by today. We talked, and he offered me a job position at a record label he worked at."

"That's great!" Ronnie said smiling.

"It's in Los Angeles." I said quickly getting it over with. Ronnie's smile quickly changed into a sad frown. No one would know how much I wanted to tell him I was kidding and to see his smile again.
"And I took the job."

"You're leaving?" Max asked airlessly. I slowly nodded my head staring at Ronnie.

"Of course she is." He said looking me dead in the eyes. If that hadn't broken my heart I don’t know what would. Ronnie turned around and walked right back out the door. He didn't hesitate to slam is shut shaking everything in the apartment. I looked at Max helplessly for support.

"Just give him time. This is good news for you."

"We don't have time. I'm leaving in two days."

"Los Angeles isn't that far. We'll both come and visit you as much as possible." He smiled at me reassuringly. He stepped closer to me and gave me a comforting hug.

"Thanks Max."

"Anything for you Maddie."