You Love To Hate Me

Chapter 28

"I just can't believe you're leaving."

"I'm not running away."

"I never said that." Michelle said looking through some CDs.

"I know, sorry. I just need to reassure myself."

"Of what?" She stopped and looked at me.

"That I'm doing the right thing."

"Why wouldn't you be doing the right thing?"

"You didn't see Ronnie's face when I told him I was leaving. I thought I was going to die. He's done so much for me, and I think he thinks I'm a freeloader or something."

"Don't worry about it. He's just taking the news badly." Chad came from the backroom with a small box in his hands.

"Maddie this is for you." He said with a wide grin.

"What is it Chad?"

"Just a little something from us," He said placing the box on the glass counter. He lifted the top from it and underneath the cover was a medium sized cake.

"Awh guys you shouldn’t have."

"We enjoyed having you work here." Chad started.

"And we expect that you come up all the time to visit us." Michelle finished and cut the cake. She handed us each a piece. It was delicious. It was white cake with strawberries. We finished our pieces of cake and cleaned up. When we were done it was about time for me to be leaving. I headed to the back to take off my Jimmie's Music shirt. We had all gotten one to wear. We just never wore them, but the rules were we had to give them back.

I had a tank top on under the shirt. I took the black shirt off and folded it to give to Chad. He came out from the back with his warm smile.

"Keep the shirt Maddie."

"Are you sure?" He nodded and placed a hand on my shoulder.
"Well I guess I'm ready to leave. It's going to be weird not coming here every day."

I hugged Chad and turned to Michelle.

"I have your number so I'll be sure to call you when I'm settled in."

"I have something for you." She said with a bundle of CDs in her hand.
"I know you're gonna need some new tunes for your apartment."

I looked through them with a wide smile on my face. There was some Third Eye Blind, Something Corporate, and some classics like Motley Crue and Poison.

"Thanks so much Michelle!" I said hugging her.
"I'll see you soon."

I left the store for the last time. I was going to miss Jimmie's Music even though I would be seeing Jimmie much more than usual. I guess I was ready for a fresh start. I just wish everyone would be supportive of it.