It's never love at first sight

"There’s got to be pretty important reason to turn

Caz finished her shift, and decided that she didn’t want to let Alex down. She saw him stroll down the corridor and smiled politely as he called to her.

“Caz, are we still on for tonight?” he said, bracing himself for a no, “I thought maybe you’d duck out on me, are you ready?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” shrugged Caz.

“Let’s go then.” he said as he reached for Caz’s hand, but she noticed and moved it away.

*
On the way over to Alex’s there was complete silence, Caz wasn’t comfortable talking to her boss, Alex knew that he’d have to wait a while for Caz to feel that he could talk to him freely. He decided to build up her trust in him. Alex pulled up onto his driveway, turned off the engine and walked round the side of the car to help Caz out.

When they got into the house Alex sat next to Caz on the sofa.

“So Caz, what are we here to talk about? Family? Friends? Work? Demons?” said Alex, trying to be funny.

“I don’t know sir, it’s you that invited me here,” said Caz, growing increasingly uncomfortable.

“Okay then, let’s talk about why you turned down the job. There’s got to be pretty important reason to turn down a promotion,” Alex said looking serious, “not to mention an extra £500 pounds a month, so, care to enlighten me?”

“I’m having some family problems sir; I just don’t think it’s the right time.”

“I picked up on that much from our chat in my office, and we’re not working anymore Caz, so call me Alex, OK?” he said moving towards her.

“Yes Alex.” She mumbled.

“So if you don’t want to talk about yourself, is there anything you want to know about me?”

“How old are you, are you married, and have you got any kids?”

“Err… OK, I asked for it. I’m 29, I’ve never been married and I definitely don’t have kids!”

“So if you’re not married, do you have a girlfriend?”

“Well No, not currently… Now it’s your turn.I’m Guessing you’re sixteen.”

“No, I’m Seventeen. I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“Then I’ll be right in guessing that you’re not married?”

“What do you think (!) And before you ask I don’t have, and never have had a boyfriend, is that all right with you?” Caz began to get upset.

“Oh, come on now Caz, it’s nothing to be ashamed of,” said Alex putting his arm round Caz, “Maybe you just haven’t met the right guy yet, what are you looking for in a man?

“Well, actually there is someone at work.”

“Good that’s a start, who is it?”

“Ok, it’s none of your business,” Caz smiled.

“In that case, I’ll guess. Hmm…let’s see is it David, Harry, Tom or are you into the girls? Not that that’s a bad thing, I mean it’s a fair point, well…yeah,” he stuttered.

“Stop Alex, don’t worry, I’m not a lesbian, but as I said before-it’s none of your business.I don’t know how to tell him, what would you do?” Caz yawned.

“I’d be straight with him and see if he feels the Same, I’ll just go and get you a coffee,” He walked out into the kitchen.

“Caz, do you take sugar? Caz?”

Alex walked out of the kitchen to see Caz fast asleep on the sofa.

Oh Caz, How long is it going to take? I knew you were right for me since I first saw you,” he sighed.

Alex lifted Caz into his arms and decided He’d better take her home to her own bed-he didn’t want to lose her trust.

*

Alex opened the door with Caz’s key and laid her down on the bed.

“Goodnight Caz, I love you,” he whispered-half hoping she might hear him.

He put the key back into Caz’s handbag, and closed the door quietly as he left.