Take It Like A Man

Chapter Six

Using a red permanent marker I crossed out August seventeenth on a Disney Tinkerbell calendar. Turning around I put my arms around Aoife who clapped her hands in excitement. She was just as thrilled, actually maybe even more than me, to see the Jonas Brothers once more. It was she who insisted I buy a calendar to mark down the days until our plane flight to Las Angelas.

Aoife tugged at my curly locks as I picked her up. In glee she questioned me, “How many deeee’s?” Glancing at the calendar she could see that there were not many left for the big yellow star was on the same page.

“Four more days,” I kissed her cheek as she once more clapped her hands at the new information. “Yes I know. You’re excited.”

“Daddy!” Shaking my head I ignored her screams of joy at seeing her ‘father’ (a.k.a. Joseph Adam Jonas) again.

Sniffing my daughter I decided that she was in dire need of a bath. Taking Aoife into the peach colored bathroom I sat her down on the edge of the pearl tub as I bent over to turn on the faucet. Making sure it was warm I put the plug in the bathtub and gathered Aoife in my arms. While the water was filling I brought my daughter into her room and searched her closet for some pajamas. I laid out a pink Minnie mouse shirt and matching pants on the bed, it was one of her favorite pajamas. Making my way to her violet colored dresser I opened the top drawer and took out a pair of ice cream printed panties and white socks. Setting them down on the bed next to the rest of my daughters clothing I sighed.

Holding Aoife’s hand I tugged her into the bathroom. I turned off the water since the tub was now half-full, or half-empty (whichever way you see it as). Stripping Aoife out of her clothes I tossed them into the bright blue hamper located next to the sink. Picking her up I placed her into the bathtub. She splashed around the water for a few minutes, purposely flicking water at me. Opening the small closet in the bathroom I pulled out a neon green washcloth and hot pink towel. Just as I was about to put shampoo in her hair Aoife pointed out of the room, “Phone!”

Scrunching my face I eyed my daughter warily, “How do you do that?” I paused, but she didn’t seem to comprehend my question. It eked me that my three-year-old could hear my cell phone ringing in the other room and I couldn’t even hear it when it was in my own pocket. “Don’t go under the water. Mommy will be right back.”

Darting out of the room I saw my phone vibrating viciously on the marble countertop in my kitchen. Not glancing at the caller ID I answered the phone with a small, “Ello?” Quickly I entered the bathroom once more to see Aoife playing with the soap bottles as if they were ships… or something…

“Four more days!” A loud laugh erupted from my throat at the sound of the screaming male. Shaking my head I put the toilet seat lid down and sat upon it. “I haven’t seen you in four months. Maybe more than that!”

“You’ve only seen me once in your entire life Joe,” I rolled my eyes as I stated this information. It was not as if I had been close friends with him. We’ve only met in person once and that was at his concert. Other than that the two of us have been communicating through text messages and phone calls since our last meeting.

“Yeah, so. I can’t wait to see you!”

A smile tugged at the edge of my lips at Joe’s enthusiasm, which was all caused by the idea that I was going to see him in a few days, “Patience is a virtue…”

“Whatever. Dude, we just got home yesterday,” yawned Joe in sleepiness. “The second I stepped inside the house I went to sleep and I just woke up two seconds ago.”

“Joe, it’s seven in the afternoon.”

He shuffled around, “I know.” There was more shuffling before he said anything else, “I’m stuck in my blanket.”

Laughing in amusement I shook my head, picturing the nineteen year old tossing and turning in his bed attempting to get out of the sheets, “How did that happen?” I imagined him look defeated, wearing an adorable lopsided grin.

“Well, to make a short story extremely short… I don’t know,” he mused in contemplation. He was probably scratching his head in confusion; looking down at himself… hmmm… wonder what kind of pajamas he’s wearing. Or what if he’s the kind of guy that sleeps without a shirt? Or maybe he only sleeps in his boxers? Shaking the thoughts from my head I resorted to chuckling at Joe’s silliness. “So… how have Aoife and you been?”

“Actually, you interrupted Aoife’s bath.”

“Darn. I was hoping I would interrupt yours.”

“Joseph Adam Jonas,” I scolded playfully at his joking words. What a hormonal teenage boy. “That is not a way to talk to a lady,” I rolled my eyes thinking about the smirk that was most likely forming on his lips. “I know your mother raised you better than that.”

He sighed, “I apologize for being disrespectful Bethany my love, but I just couldn’t resist the urge to inform you that I would prefer you being naked than Aoife.”

“Joseph!” A male voice sounded throughout the phones speakers. They sounded extremely shocked by Joe’s comment, although it wasn’t uncommon for me. Joe tended to make slightly perverted jokes every once in awhile. Especially when it involved me. “Don’t talk to her like that.”

I could practically feel Joe roll his eyes, “I was just joshing Kevin. Calm down.”

“Tell Kevin I said hello and thanks for rescuing me from your perverted and inappropriate humor,” I smiled against the phone. Turning to Aoife I watched as she made a ‘whoosh’ noise and threw my Pantene Pro V shampoo bottle against the bathroom’s walls. Placing my hand over the speaker I quietly scolded my daughter, “Aoife. Do it again and you’re grounded!” She huffed, crossed her arms, and turned her head away from me in ‘anger.’

“Kevin, Bethany says hello and thanks for rescuing her from my perverted and inappropriate humor,” Joe informed his brother in a monotone. I heard a laugh escape Kevin’s mouth. A moment later there was some arguments between the two before a hearty laugh flew throughout my eardrums.

“Beth I can’t wait to see you and Aoife!”

I smiled to myself; the Jonas Brothers had a way of making me feel better about myself, “I can’t wait to see you Kevin! I’ve been waiting for that dinner!”

“You’re taking her out to dinner?” Quizzed Joe, his voice was muffled but I could hear the question and the scoff that followed afterwards. “No fair. Can I come?”

Kevin chuckled, “Yes Joe.”

“Fantabulistic!”

“Well… Kevin, Joseph it was wonderful hearing from you both but Aoife is starting to prune,” the three of us shared a small laugh. “I’ll talk to you both later. Adios my two favorite amigos.”

Both hurried out ‘byes’ as I shut my phone. I winked at my daughter, who was looking up at me expectantly, “Time to get you cleaned up honey.”

Conveniently after I finished giving Aoife a quick bath and put her into her Minnie Mouse pajamas the doorbell rang. Running to answer it I was graced with Mary’s presence once again. She smiled and entered the house, looking around at the mess my house was in. There were dirty plates, empty glasses, and toys all over the living room.

“Wow, what happened in here?”

I coughed, “Aoife and I were hungry and wanted to watch Camp Rock at the same time this morning… and then she decided she wanted to play with half the toys she had.”

“Interesting. Do I get paid extra if I help you clean all this up?” She questioned with a bemused smirk. Although, her smirk faltered as she added, “Not that I get paid in the first place.”

“I’ll buy you Starbucks tomorrow if you clean up,” I nudged her side as I walked past her into my bedroom. Going into my closet I pulled out my work clothes. Since I worked at a clothing store, Kohl’s to be exact; I was required to wear the clothing that was featured in the stores. Grabbing black skinny jeans and a white button up polo I slipped into the clothes. Glancing into the closet once more I snatched a cute black vest and slipped into my size five black flats.

Entering the living room again I grinned as Mary already begun to clean up Aoife and my mess, “Thanks. You’re a doll.” Hands grabbed around my leg and I looked down at my daughter, who was smiling adorably up at me. Bending over I left a sloppy wet kiss on her cheek, “Mommy will be back tonight. I love you honey. And be nice to Mary and go to bed when she tells you to. Okay?”

“Love you too Mama!” Rubbing her head I smiled down at my beautiful daughter. Waving to Mary I grabbed my purse and headed for the door, blowing a kiss to Aoife I waved goodbye once more and left the house for another uneasy day of work. However, the mere reminder that I would be seeing the Jonas Brothers in the next four days brought a smile upon my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: I do not own the Jonas Brothers.

Outfits:
Aoife's Pajama's
Bethany's Work