Within the Trees

5.

My eyes open a little bit as I slowly gain control of myself once more. I see nothing but white light, and it's blinding as hell. Damn, I must be dead. I must have triggered such a bad blow that I bled too much and died. Everything gets a bit clearer and I realize that I'm in some room. I can't fully see quite clear enough where I am and who's with me- all I sense is that there's someone staring at me with eyes boiling into me. I groan slightly, for I finally realize I still have pain throbbing horribly in my head. The room begins to come together, and I move my arm slightly but there are tubes and wires sticking out of me. I must be in a hospital.

"I'm so glad you're awake, Wind." The voice was sad, yet excited. It was Carly, she had stayed with me! I was stunned.

"Why are you here?" I demanded then, feeling a bit irritated that she was following me around like a puppy. She shrugged and let her hair fall into her face as she wiggled out of her coat to reveal a yellow spaghetti-strap that made her look godly. Her eyes seemed to smile at me, as she didn't meet my eye.

"I told you I wasn't going to leave you, not even now," she said with a small enthusiasm. I was stunned; Carly didn't even know me, and yet she decided to stay with me! Carly got up and walked over to my bed. She put a single hand and sort of caressed my cheek. "I never knew you had a bruise right there. Does it hurt?" Her eyes were sad again. It hurt when she touched it, but I loved it. I liked having her hand right there on my warm face. Her hand was cold, probably from being so nervous. I nodded slightly and she removed her hand and looked at it as though it was just bitten by a giant spider.

"That was," I said, my heart thumping like mad. "Really sweet of you." She smiled, revealing her pretty smile. Carly didn't respond to it, but looked at the fluids bag they had me hooked up to.

"How old are you?" I've been meaning to ask her the question so I could decide how old I was.

"Sixteen." She glanced over at me, like I was going to hate her for it. I knew I looked older then she was, so I told her I was eighteen and she looked a bit upset. "I'm glad I found you, Wind. I've been so lonely, yearning for a friend. I like you," she grinned. "A lot."