The True Horror Began On Friday 13th

Twenty Seven

I was dithering outside Mikey’s front door, his car was in the drive and when Ricky had called him he was in. I didn’t know whether I wanted to go and see him though, I couldn’t stand the thought of him turning all snotty on me like before. I also didn’t know whether I’d be able to keep my mouth shut about Gerard, Mikey had this way of managing to coax me into telling him. And the last thing was that I was begging to go to the toilet.

“Uh… Ren?”

I jumped, turning around quickly to see Mikey standing behind me. He was carrying several grocery bags. I swore violently in my head.

“H-hi,” I said, my eyes clamping to the floor.

“Any reason why you’re dancing outside my front door?” he asked, chuckling a little as he let himself into the house. I shook my head, “You coming in then?” he asked, I nodded and followed him, shutting his door with an anonymous click, “You’re bigger than the last time I saw you,” he said, putting his bags on the countertop in the kitchen.

“I know, it’s been ages,” I mumbled, feeling alien to his house, “But I had my first ultra scan last month sometime, it was kinda strange. I have the picture somewhere in my bag if you want to see it?” I asked.

“Sure I will, you want a sandwich?” he asked, I nodded hurriedly whilst searching through everything in my bag. I pulled out the slightly crumpled scan and smoothed it out on my thigh before tapping Mikey on the back. He spun around and took it from me, his eyebrows raising a little, “Wow, that’s pretty weird,” he mumbled, squinting his eyes.

“It looked weird when it was moving, see there’s where it’s arms are going to be and the start of it’s legs are kinda there-ish,” I told him, pointing in the appointed places.

“Gerard must be proud,” Mikey stated bitterly, turning back around to finish making the sandwiches.

“Mm… yes he is. Has he spoken to you at all? What about Donna or Steve?-“

“Mom and Steve I’ve spoken too. Gerard… No. I’m sorry I snapped at you though, at the restaurant it was un-called for and rude,” he apologised, “But Gerard… he gets his own way all the time, he gets the girl, the parents, the house, the kids, he deserves none of it,” Mikey muttered, sitting down at the kitchen table, I joined him cautiously spreading the picture out in front of me. I hadn’t really taken a proper look at it, but now I had it was pretty cool.

I ripped the crusts off my sandwich and ate them slowly, occasionally moving to accommodate. my weight properly.

“It’s weird to think that… that thing is there,” he said, pointing to the picture and nodding at my stomach, “When will it start moving and stuff?” he asked, looking at my stomach for a second.

“Month seven, I’m coming up to four months. I’ve got my monthly ultra scan in like… a couple weeks I think, maybe you could come along?” I offered, swallowing, “I mean, Gerard can’t keep me from bringing you can he?”

“Don’t jeopardise anything with Gerard, you know how he is,” Mikey said, “I’m guessing he doesn’t know you’re here?” he questioned, picking up the scan and studying it.

“No… he doesn’t. but… I like you and you’re my friend so why can’t I come and see you? I want you to be apart of my life as well,” I said worriedly, hoping I didn’t sound too sappy. Mikey smiled and nodded moving forward a little give me a friendly hug, “You’re an uncle after all,” I sighed into his shoulder.

“That’s true,” he murmured, moving his glasses a little to a more comfortable position. I pulled back, my breath falling down the back of my throat in a miraculously speedy way when he kissed me. My eyes widened and I pushed my hands against his shoulders when I felt something warm and wet slide across my top lip. He fell back against his own chair, shiftily rubbing his arm.

“W-what was that?” I murmured, not having the guts to wipe the slight dampness from my lips. Mikey opened his mouth to reply when there was a sudden knock at the door. He shot up, leaving me to sit awkwardly at his kitchen table, my neck heating up horribly.

“Is she here? Doll!?” Gerard suddenly called, What was he doing here? My face felt like it was wearing a damp, warm flannel, “What’re you doing here?” Gerard asked, appearing in the doorway, “Dolly, what’s wrong? Why’re you all red? –are you crying? Mikey what happened?” Gerard asked, tucking my hair behind my ears whilst sitting down on the table.

“Nothing’s happened,” Mikey replied, scratching the back of his neck, “It’s just a little hot in here,” he said, “Right, Ren?” I nodded into the confinements of Gerard’s stomach, not really being able to move because he had bound me with his arms.

“Oh… why are you hear in the first place?” Gerard asked, pulling back.

“I thought I’d come and show Mikey the baby scan. And invite him to the next ultra sound,” I said, swallowing as Gerard pecked my head.

“Hey Mikey you got anymore of those sandwiches?” he asked, seemingly forgetting he was ignoring him.

“You can have mine, I’m not too hungry anymore,” I told him, he balanced the plate on his knee and managed to munch his way through my sandwich and Mikey’s, not noticing the horrible tension that was strung around the room. I pushed my face into Gerard’s leg seeing as he was still sitting in front of me.

“So, Gee, we good?” Mikey asked, Gerard turned towards Mikey his cheeks bulging with bread.

“What, we weren’t good before?” he asked, sounding muffled. Gerard swallowed and kicked his shoes off, hitching his feet up on my leg. Mikey looked at him like he was nuts before Gerard took a another bite of sandwich, “Okay sure, whatever, we’re cool,” Gerard shrugged, wiggling his toes slightly.

“Okay,” Mikey mumbled, not the only one confused. Gerard glnaced at my stomach and then at Mikey, plonking the plate back down on the table.

“Have you felt it yet? It’s like a rock, come ‘ere!” Gerard ordered happily.

“Nah, really it’s okay-“ Mikey began, trying to refrain for more tension.

“No, really come here, I don’t care,” Gerard said, shoving up and little gripping Mikey’s wrist eagerly, “Kneel down, Doll move your arms,” Gerard said, still not realising how awkward Mikey seemed. Gerard pushed my shirt up and put his hand under my stomach, “There, that’s where I think its feet are, give me your hands,” Gerard said, grabbing Mikey’s hand and pushing it to the spot.

“Oh… uh cool?” Mikey said, still being held down by Gerard.

“And there’s where its head is, I worked it out from the pictures, its cool right?” Gerard grinned. Mikey nodded awkwardly, looking anywhere but me, “And I was thinking, maybe, if I’m working late nearer the time. The maybe you could stay at my house for a while? Keep Doll company and if the big it does occur you’ll be there to keep everything okay?” Gerard said, “Please? I don’t want anything happening whilst I’m out,” Gerard asked.

“Uh-huh… sure, that’ll be fine,” Mikey nodded.

“Well, I need a piss, I’ll be back now,” Gerard grinned, taking his hands off Mikey’s as he bounded out of the room. Mikey let out a big shuddery breath and stood up.

“I shouldn’t have kissed you- I’m sorry-“

“Forget it, never happened –friends?” I nodded.

“Sure.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Maybe Mikey shouldn't have apologised so loud...
Comment please, I might update once more.