‹ Prequel: Why So Serious?

Let's Put A Smile On That Face.

Two.

"Goddammit!" Gordon yelled as he looked around the holding cell. There was a huge gaping hole in the stone wall and Harley was gone. He kicked a nearby trash can over.

An officer walked over to him. "So does this mean we have to find Harvey Dent, the Joker, and this Harley Quinn?" He asked.

Gordon sighed. "Yes," he said. "Yes it does."

The Joker opened the door to Harley's room. "Here, nothing's been messed with." He said as he lightly pushed her into the room. She glanced around then yawned.

"I'm sleepy," she said as she took a seat on her bed.

"Then go to sleep," the Joker said matter-of-factly.

An anxious look appeared on Harley's face. "Could you.. could you please stay with me? It's really dark..." she trailed off.

The Joker walked to the door. Harley frowned, thinking he was about to leave, but then he shut the door instead of exiting through it. He turned around and stared at her then walked over, seating himself beside her. "Okay."

Harley squealed with glee and wrapped her arms around him and kissed his cheek. The Joker took ahold of her hands and extracted her arms from around him. He cleared his throat. "Go get ready for bed, or whatever."

She nodded briskly. "Okay!" She said as she popped up and ran to the bathroom.

The Joker looked around the room then took off his coat and his shoes. He laid back against the bed, resting his head on a pillow and stared at the ceiling. He didn't know why he even cared if Harley was scared of the dark, he was the dark, but he stayed just the same.

Harley came out of the bathroom with a clean face. Her jet black hair was down, hanging almost to her back. She was wearing a huge men's sized maroon shirt. She skipped to her bed and laid down, curling up beside the Joker.

"Mmm," she murmured. "You're comfy," she said has she scooted beside him.

He sat up and stared at her. "Why are you here?"

She cocked her head in confusion. "Because you saved me from that wretched cell," she said.

He shook his head. "No, no, no. I mean... here. What's making me keep you around?"

She giggled. "Well that's easy, silly. You like me!"

He shook his head slowly, then he pulled out his pocket knife from his pocket and was on top of her in a second, pressing the knife to her neck.

"Why aren't you afraid of me?"

She blinked. Her wide eyes stared at him with the innocence of a child. "Because you don't intimidate me," she whispered. "Because I'm not afraid to die."

He grazed his thumb against her cheek. "You should be," he stated.

Harley laughed, but the sound was hollow. "What do I have to live for?"

"Well, what do you have to die for?" the Joker asked. Without waiting for an answer, he bent his head down and lightly kissed Harley's pink lips. He then stood up, grabbed his coat, slipped on his shoes, and walked out the door.

The Joker stared blankly at the top of his desk. "I just can't... grasp it," he said, drawing out the 'grasp'.

"Can't grasp what?" Two-Face, who was sitting across from him in a plain wooden chair, asked.

"The.. the need for human interaction. People... they, they're weak. They let themselves become completely involved with another, and they die."

"Well I don't think you have to worry about that," Two-Face responded.

The Joker leaned back in his chair and nodded slowly. The pair were quiet for a few minutes.
Then the Joker popped up. "I'm bored," he said, putting emphasis on the d.

"You're bored?"

"Yes. And it's time for me to change that. I have a new target."

"And that would be...?" Two-Face asked.

"Bruce Wayne," the Joker said giggling.
♠ ♠ ♠
i absolutely hated this chapter. writer's block can go die.
feedback?