Hello, stranger

Regret

Are you gonna eat that, Nicola?”

I looked down at the pile of pasta on my plate, and then shook my head quickly.

“That’s too bad.” Gerard comments, sliding the pasta to himself, across the table.

I am currently cursing myself over and over again. Wasn’t I meant to avoid Gerard?
Yes, but my stupid, ignorant self wouldn’t allow that.

When the first light of day broke from the horizon, my vampire, blood-lusted frenzy ended as quickly as it came. As usual, I tried to remember what had happened the night before, and only received blurred images.

Trying to remember when night time is like trying to remember a forgotten dream. You get the gist of the dream, but you can’t remember why you woke up smiling or crying.

For some odd reason, Gerard’s friend, Frank, kept interrupting my thoughts. His name would pop up at me, and all the words I heard him say. This didn’t make sense to me, seeing I’ve only been around him for a couple of minutes. But when I finally put 2 and 2 together, I felt a stabbing pain in my chest.

Poor Gerard. Poor Frank.

And then the most selfish thought occurred to me.

What if he’s too upset to speak to me? What if his assuring voice won’t soothe me? Have I lost my constant? The one that keeps me calm?

That’s when I ran. As fast as I could, I ran to the park and then to Gerard’s house. I’ve never been to his house before, so I hesitated before knocking like a maniac.

Gerard opened the door late, and I remembered how early it was. I must’ve woke him up.

He stood there with a cloud of raven hair messed up around his sleepy face. He wore nothing but batman boxers. I was lost for speech for a few seconds, and he waited for me to speak.

“Gerard” I finally said.

“Yes?”

I looked away. What was I meant to say? ‘I’m sorry I killed your friend, Gerard. I was only thirsty’. As if I could. And by seeing the two of them, I would guess that Gerard would be one of the first people to know if anything happened to Frank. So I was probably wrong.

“I..uh. Don’t worry.” I started to walk away. He grabbed my arm before I could. I’m surprised he didn’t flinch at the coldness.

“Wait.. Nicola, are you alright?” he asked, looking genuinely concerned. I tried to pull my hand away, but his grip was strong.

“I’m fine, Gerard.” I sighed.

“Okay.” Was all he said. I turned around, but he stopped me again.

“Some of the boys and I are planning on crashing the public place near the mall for a birthday. Were meant to bring dates, he’s trying to make it all formal and crap. I always told him he won’t pull it off, but he’s so full on about it...” he rambled. I’ve never seen him act this way, he looked almost nervous. He looked down at my arm he was still holding on to, and slid his hand into mine.

“Do you wanna be my date?” He suddenly didn’t look nervous. There was confidence, hope.. but not nervousness. I didn’t say anything for a few seconds.

““Who’s birthday?” I finally asked.

“My brother, Mikey.” He rolled his eyes.

“When is it?” I continued my interview.

“Today, for lunch. I told him you can’t do these formal events during the day. But he’s girlfriend going to Detroit that night, and of course he’ll change anything for his girlfriend...” he trailed off.

My face finally broke out into a smile. Day time. Perfect.
“I’m in.”

We exchanged numbers and then he invited me inside for breakfast, being sure to mention he made the meanest cornflakes in history.

“Sorry, can’t. I’ve got work.” I laughed. “Sorry for waking you up.”

So here I was now, at Mikey’s party. And regretting every moment of it.

I’ve met most of Gerard’s friends and also the birthday boy and his girlfriend. They all seemed nice, if not a little loud. The place Mikey chose was good, but I agree with Gerard he doesn’t suit formal.

The moments I’m regretting has nothing to do with them. It’s when Gerard’s hand casually holds onto mine. When his lips offhandedly brush against mine. It’s the best I’ve ever felt, but I’m regretting like hell.

“Hey, Gerard! Where’s Frankie?” I hear someone call out. I recognise Ray by his hair.

“Probably trying to ditch Mikey’s party.” Gerard called back. Ray laughed and walked off. I breathing started to accelerate.

“Hey, babe. You okay?” Gerard asked. I nodded quickly. I waited a few minutes before asking;
“Have you talked to him lately?”

“Who?” he asked. I closed my eyes, and then opened them slowly.

“Frank.” He looked puzzled.

“I’ll call him now.” He put the phone to his ear, and kept it there for almost a minute.

“He’s not picking up.” He frowned. I started breathing loudly again.

“Hey.. Nicola, do you wanna go home?” he asked. I shook my head.

“No, Gerard... I-I have a feeling something wrong with Frank.” Hopefully he’ll buy it as intuition. His eyes widened considerably.

“Hey, Mel! Could you call Frankie’s house? He’s not picking up his cell, and I’m out of credit.” I watched Mel punch in the numbers.

“Hi, Mrs. Iero, Do you know if_” She stopped talking abruptly.

Slowly and silently, tears started welling up in her eyes, and she began sobbing. The phone slid slowly off her hand and on to the table. Watching the process was gut wrenching. That’s when the questions came. All directed at that poor girl.

“Frankie’s....Frankie’s dead.” She gasped out.

And then everything went chaotic.
♠ ♠ ♠
Where have I been?!! You should've updated sooner! (I'm scolding myself if you haven't realised)
I hope you like it
xxx