Covered In Glitter But I'm Not Shining Like You Do.

Chapter Seven

She followed Brian's beaten up car as he lead the way to his house, tapping her fingers nervously against the steering wheel. Her heart was racing, pounding in her chest, and her stomach did a back flip as he pulled into his driveway. She parked her car behind his and shakily climbed out, trying to regain her composure as he entered the house, her close behind.
"Dad! I'm home!"
"Your dad's gone to pick McKenna up from school," said a woman appearing at one of the doorways leading off of the entrance hallway, holding a tea towel. Emmy saw a fridge through the doorway and guessed it to be the kitchen. "Who's your new friend?" asked the woman, smiling kindly at Emmy.
She forced her cheek muscles to form a smile back as Brian introduced her.
"This is Emmy. We've been assigned to do a project together. Emmy, this is my step mom Suzy."
"Hi," she said, quietly, giving Suzy a small wave just as the front door opened behind them. She could hear the voice of a little girl screaming with laughter and the patter of small footsteps as she appeared in front of Emmy and tried to hide behind her legs as a man, that she assumed to be Brian's dad, came through the doorway.
"Where did she go?" he asked in fake confusion. McKenna giggled, giving away her position and causing Brian's dad to scoop her up in his arms and begin tickling her.
Emmy watched in amusement as Brian cleared his throat, seeming a bit embarrassed.
"Dad this is Emmy. Emmy this is my dad," said Brian, once they'd stopped.
"New girlfriend?" he asked, smiling at her.
Brian stared at him causing Emmy to laugh as she tried not to blush. "No, we've been assigned to do a project together."
"Oh, well make sure he doesn't try any funny business."
"Dad!" said Brian, sounding outraged.
"What? I'm just warning the poor girl!"
Brian stormed past him and began stomping up the stairs, muttering something along the lines of 'Parents are so embarrassing...'
Emmy watched him go and tried not to laugh as he slammed what she guessed to be his bedroom door.
"Brian, you've embarrassed the poor boy!"
"I was just joking!" defended his dad, placing McKenna back on her feet.
"Men are hopeless," said Suzy to Emmy, rolling her eyes.
Emmy nodded. "They are."
Feeling something tugging at one of the legs of her jeans, she looked down to see McKenna pulling on it.
"Are you Emmy Johnson?" she asked.
Emmy stared at her. "How did you know that?" she asked, crouching down to her level.
"'Cause Brian talks about you all the time. He always says how pretty you are."
Emmy tried to find something to say, but it was Brian's dad who came to her rescue.
"Well, erm... Brian's room is first on the left if you want to go on up. You better knock first; he might be halfway through tidying up some things he doesn't want you to see," said Brian's dad as he winked.
Suzy groaned. "Hopeless," she mumbled, retreating back into the kitchen.
"What did I do this time?!"
Emmy laughed again and began to climb the stairs, eager to get away from the awkward atmosphere, having no trouble guessing what Brian might want to hide. She knocked on the door his dad had described and waited as rustling went on inside his room.
"Come in."
She opened the door and carefully stepped inside; noting that the first things to catch her eye were the many band posters that completely covered the walls of his room. His floor was messy but then, that was to be expected and the duvet on his bed was thrown haphazardly onto it. She couldn't help but laugh at how terrible he was at making his bed.
"What?" he asked, noticing the look on her face.
"Get up," she said, motioning him to get off of his bed. She uncreased the covers and straightened them out, then tucked one side down between the mattress and the wall. She sat down and turned to face him to find him sheepishly scratching his head.
He shrugged and nodded. "Men are hopeless."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Let's Go To Bed and The Broken for their comments :]
I hope you all like the update :]