The Wind Apprentice

Diz

I want to tell you a story….

Danny Izander Zephyrus (just call him Diz) was anything but a normal fourteen year old. Easily spotted in a crowd because of his white hair made it hard for him to be a good thief. Yet, work for the Thieves Guild he did. Not that he had a choice.

When Diz’s father died, when he was six, it left Diz on the streets. He was quickly picked up by the Thieves, like most of the orphans in Priceana.

Diz was currently sitting on one of the many run down rooftops that existed in Priceana. The Magicians Guild was making it’s rounds again. They went around to every town in the kingdom once a year looking for fourteen year olds with magical potential.

The thieves strictly forbade it’s agents to go anywhere near the Magicians. Diz wasn’t about to be tested, not that he cared. Magicians were considered devils in Priceana. That was because they had all this power but they didn’t even bother to help anyone in poor towns like Priceana. No, they only lived in the capitol, doing the King’s bidding, not even helping those who really need it.

Diz watched a Magician in a white and dark blue robe was talking with a friend of his. Her father owns an inn. He could tell she wasn’t magical. Your probably wondering why Diz was sitting on a rooftop watching the Magicians. Well, it’s because it was his current job. Someone had to watch the devils after all.

Diz saw Jeremy, his shift change, so to speak. He sat on a roof top, not far from him. Grinning and giving a slight wave to the older boy, Diz stands. He moves to leaves when his foot slips on a loose tile and he (obviously) tumbles to the ground from the three story roof top.

Now Diz, had a secret that very few knew. He could do magic. Although to be fair, he could never control it, and he could never predict when it would happen.

So, with this in mind Diz is only slightly surprised, when he feels his descent slow down to a brief stop three feet off the ground. He then, unceremoniously, drops the rest of the way with a THUD.

The young teenager smiles at his luck. No broken bones was always good. As Diz sits up he suddenly wished he had broken bones instead. All the magicians were starring at him.

Everything was still, as Diz stares right back. Then hell breaks loose when Diz gets over his shock and promptly takes off down an alley way with the wizards right on his tail.

Jeremy just shakes his head, still sitting on the rooftop. He already knew about Diz’s powers and was rather relieved that the kid didn’t get hurt. Jeremy wasn’t one to get worried though, Diz could take care of himself. That was why the eighteen year old simply moved so he was lying on his back with his eyes closed. Boss told him to stay in the area. He’d stay in the area. Never said specifically, he had to follow the devils everywhere.

Meanwhile, Diz is running at breakneck pace, trying to get away from the surprisingly fast wizards. Or at least a few were surprisingly fast. Others had given up on the chase.

Somewhere in the back of Diz’s mind, he wondered why they were so intent on catching him. Didn’t his choice of clothes scream ‘thief’? Maybe that’s why they were chasing him.

Not four minutes later the fourteen year old had lost them. Sure they were fast but Diz had a superior knowledge of the city. A ‘caw’ catches the young teenager’s attention and he looks up at the sky. A double hawk? This far from the mountains?

You’re probably wondering what a double hawk is. Well, a double hawk is a hawk with four wings and twice the size of a normal hawk. Yes, the person who named the poor bird has absolutely no creative bones in his body.

Suddenly, Diz is hit with the realization as to why the bird is in town. Wizards. With a muttered curse Diz moves to try and find an entrance to the Thieves road. He turns a corner only to run into one of the devils. Turning to try and go another way Diz finds two more behind him. Trapped.

“Easy, kid. We just want to talk.” Yeah right. The man talking has dark brown hair and light brown eyes. The others have their hoods up making it impossible to see detail.

“My name is Alexander Wright. What’s yours?”

“Over my dead body.”

“Well, ’Over My Dead Body’ would like to come back with us?”

“Why? Going to turn me in to the Guard?”

“No, we just want to talk.”

“About?” Alexander sighs and runs a hand through his hair. It was always difficult getting people to trust them in towns like this one. He personally hated being called a devil.

“Listen, I only want to help. Do you know what happens to people who can’t control their powers?” Diz pauses before answer, not liking where this is going one bit.

“No.”

“First, they go insane. Then essentially, they blow up. It causes a lot of damage too. Although, that depends on the powers, and I can tell your powerful. Not many untrained wizards could get their magic to save them from falling, even unconsciously.”

“I’ve never heard of anyone blowing up.”

“What do you think happened in Prometheus three years back. Another kid like you avoided being detected by us and look what happened. Went on a killing rampage before it got to much. Power built up and there he went.” Diz didn’t like that mental picture.

“Come on back to our camp and I’ll explain some more. If, by sundown, you don’t want to come then I’ll let you go.”

“What’s the catch?”

“The catch is that if you decide to leave I’ll have to bind your powers.”

“Always a catch.” Though Diz didn’t like to admit it, he liked his powers. Losing them would be like losing an old friend. It was even more like that because sometimes he could hear something whispering to him.

“I’ll go.” Diz just bows his head as he leaves with Alexander. The double hawk comes and perches on his shoulder.

“I like your bird.” Alexander smiles and the bird gives caw. They’re said to be very intelligent. Diz wondered how intelligent.

“His name is Razor Wing.”

“Do all wizards get birds?” Didn’t he hear somewhere Wizards got owls or something. Alexander just chuckled at his question.

“No, but we get familiars. It can be just about anything. Though the familiar chooses the wizard not the other way around.”

-

Diz was sitting in a chair with a mug of hot chocolate in his hand. He was inside a tent that belonged to the Magicians. He only now just realized how much trouble he was in with his boss in the Thieves Guild. Diz figured he really didn’t have a choice but to go with the devils. Better then sticking around here and end up being found dead in an alley a week later.

Master Wright had yet to return. He was talking to someone about something or rather. Diz couldn’t bring himself to care and took another sip of hot chocolate. As far as he knew ,he was the only one with magic that was found in the city.

The tent flap suddenly opened and Master Wright walks in with some papers and a heavy book.

“Hello, um… Are you ready to tell me your name yet?”

“Diz.”

“I need your real name for the file.” Alexander says as he grabs a quill and taps a piece of paper waiting.

“Danny.”

“Danny what?”

“Danny Izander Zephyrus.” He frowns for a moment and looks at Diz intently for a moment. The teenager tries not to squirm under the scrutiny. He eventually looks away and writes Diz’s name down on the paper before him.

“You’re a wind magician Diz.”

“Is there a difference between other magicians?”

“Well, yes. Your magic comes from the element you have the most affinity for. In yours and my case it is wind.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and questions are welcome.
I hope you enjoyed readin this.
KTHM