The Wind Apprentice

Unexpected Visitor

Diz couldn’t sleep. He was too busy thinking about what little choices he had. If Diz went back to the Thieves Guild, he would most likely be gutted like a fish. On the other hand if he remained with the devils, there was no telling what they would do with him.

So far, said devil, were actually rather nice. A few of them had even apologized for scaring him. He was certain they were just trying to trick him. Unfortunately though Diz had agreed to go to the kingdom’s capital to train at the Magician’s Guild.

There were some things Diz wanted to learn or to do. He wanted a familiar like Razor Wing. Though to be honest, Diz was certain his familiar would be something really stupid. He had a bad feeling it might be a rat, since Master Wright had said that usually a familiar will match the master’s personality.

As far as the fourteen year old knew, he still might have a few friends left in the city, like Jeremy. The rest must have abandoned him by now. After all, who wants to be friends with a devil? Jeremy aside.

Diz heard footsteps outside his tent. Something was wrong. Trouble. Diz just knew it, though he wasn’t sure how. Nonetheless, the young boy reached under his pillow and laid a hand on the comforting handle of his dagger.

Just as Diz thought, the tent flap opens and he could hear quiet footsteps. The man was just beside his cot. His heart was beating faster. Continue to feign sleep or strike? He heard the sound of metal against a leather sheath. Strike.

Diz, faster then lightning, shoots up and slashes. The intruders blade makes a nice deep cut against his arm, though if Diz had stayed laying down a moment later it would have been his throat. Diz’s blade get the attacker chest.

Diz suddenly realizes who the attacker is. He was an assassin, simply named Coyote. Diz mutters a curse, as Coyote jumps back up, forgetting his attempt at stealth earlier, and lunges at Diz.

The teenager throws himself to the ground as the knife slices the air of where he had been a moment before. All the young man can do is thank his agility.

Coyote kicks the arm that is holding the dagger before Diz can roll away. The dagger slides across the ground. Diz rolls just as Coyote drops to his knees to stab him. Grasping a shovel handle (Diz briefly wonders why a shovel is in his tent), he quickly gets to his knees and swings it at his assailant. It connects with the right side of his face with a yell.

Both can hear movement outside, finally someone has heard the commotion. Coyote throws his knife at Diz, catching the boy by surprise and it digs into his stomach.

The last thing Diz remembers is the coyote running and people chasing. A man in a white robe kneels in front of him just as Diz’s world goes black.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would have had this out yesturday but my editor went to bed. Stupid editor. No point dwelling on it though.
Thanks for Reading!
KTHM