Yoko

Untangling, Sorting, Tidying.

"So...exactly how...?" Tre left the question open ended, and Mike was vaguely thankful for that.
It left him room to breathe, to take things slow.
"We...Billie and I, we went to your apartment one night. We were so furious with the both of you...well, mostly with her. She threw Billie out, but let me stay..."

Mike rubbed his hands over his face, grimacing.

"I was so stupid. I thought...I thought we were going to talk, but she kept pouring me drinks and giggling and cooing, so ridiculous that I didn't see through the act."

Tre's knuckles were white as he clutched the handle of his coffee mug, but when he spoke, his voice was calm.

"And you...fucked her?"
"Yes." Mike whispered. "She pushed me down on the couch, and she was kissing me, and things were so bad in my own relationship that I just let it all happen."

When Tre didn't reply, Mike grew worried.

"Tre, I'm so sorry. I hated myself, the whole time. But every time I tried to end it, she just laughed and dragged me down again. I wish...I wish I'd never been so stupid."
"Me too." Tre replied in a low voice, and then chuckled. "Ah. At least we're rid of her, ey?"
"Yeah. At least we're rid of her."

They clinked mugs together, and drank down the dregs of their coffee, reveling in their rekindled friendship.

***

Three loud knocks on the door, and Adrienne skidded across the hall, nearly tripping over Billie's battered Converse sneakers. She kicked them aside, and wrenched the door open.

"Jorah!" She gasped in surprise.
"Hey." The model replied shakily. "I just wanted to apologize for how I acted earlier...and to wonder if I could maybe impose my company on you for a little while? I...I really need someone to talk to, and you're the only one who's not a thousand miles away."

Against her better intentions, Adrienne invited her into the kitchen and began rummaging for some tea bags. While she snatched two cups from the shelf and poured boiling water into them, her back was turned to Jorah.

And she missed the manipulative smirk that sneaked it way across her pretty face.