Brian Haner Jr

Brian Haner Jr.

"Now I'm happy to stay a litle longer," Gabby Dawson told Brian as she slipped on her coat. "Your Skylar is about the best baby I've ever seen. So sweet and those pretty eyes. Just like yours. She's going to be a beauty when she grows up."

"Tell me about it. I'm going to have to get a really big stick to scare off all the boys in the neighborhood." Brian glanced down at the sleeping infant. "We'll just start calling you 'Trouble' as soon as you hit fourteen. How does that sound, little gir?"

Sky slept on, oblivious of being the subject of conversation.

"We'll be fine," he told Gabby.

"All right then. I'll be off. Same time tomorrow, right?"

"Absolutely."

The doorbell rang. "I'll get that on my way out," Gabby called as she headed for the stairs. "You have a nice evening, Brian."

"I will," he said as he followed her into the living room. Despite her fifty-something years, she moved with quick grace. she was a whiz with Sky and brian was grateful Val had recommended her. Until his daughter was old enough to come to the studio with him, or attend regular day care, he could rest easy with nurse Gabby in charge.

"It's Dr. Milenkovich," Gabby said as she pulled open the front door. "I was just leaving," she told Nicole. "Sky has been an angel. I doubt she'll give you a minute's trouble. Now you two have a nice night."

She gave a quick wave and was gone.

Nicole started after her. "She reminds me of Robin Williams in that movie Mrs. Doubtfire, although she's a lot prettier."

"And she doesn't have the accent. So you think my baby nurse is a cross-dresser?"

Nicole laughed. "No, that's not what I meant. She's just a warm, caring person, like that character." She set her purse on the small table by the front door. "How was your day?"

"Good." But not as good as she looked, he thought.

Brian had to shove his hands into his pockets to keep from walking over to her and pulling her into his arms. She wore a black suit with a silky pink blouse. High heels made her legs looks longer. She'd pulled her hair back into a fancy twise. From head to toe, she was a class act.

He on the other hand, had barely walked in the door fifteen minutes ago. He hadn't even had a chance to shower.

"What?" she asked. "You're staring at me. Do I have ink on my nose or something?"

"Not at all. I was just noticing that you look terrific, while I had a close encounter with a paint machine." He turned slowly to show her his paint-splattered back. "We come from two different worlds, that's for sure."

"Is that bad?"

"No. But I've been thinking." He rocked back on his heels. He didn't want to talk about this with her, but he didn't have a choice. "It's been nearly two weeks since Sky was born."

"I know. I was there."

"Yeah, well, you've got a life of your own and I've sort of taken if over. You've been here every night except when you had to deliver a baby last Friday. You've spent two weekends helping me out. You've been a great friend, but I don't want to take advantage of that."

"You're not. I've been happy to help." She folded her arms over her chest. "You're throwing me out, aren't you?"

Brian didn't know how to answer. Despite the fact that he was dirty and tired, he still wanted her. He wanted her before they'd ever kissed, but now that he'd experienced the passion possible between them, his desire had only increased. She was an incredible woman- everything a man could want. Smart, successful, caring, warm, sexy as hell and completely out of his leauge.

He'd played the game enough times to know when it was going to work and when it wasn't. Between their differences in career and his status as a new father, he didn't stand a chance with her. Under different circumstances, he might have given it a run anyway, figuring something short-term would be better than nothing at all. Except he wasn't comfortable with that. Not only because of Sky, but because Nicole was someone he cared about and he didn't have to play games with her.

"I'm not throwing you out," he said at last. "Your welcome to stay as long as you'd like. However, I don't want to take advantage of you or cramp your style."

She stared at him. Her hazel brown eyes were wide and clear as she studied him, obviously asessing the truth of his words. "And if I told you I didn't have enought of a personal life to warrant a style?"

"Then I'd ask you if you'd like to have a glass of whine with me."

"Red or White?"

"Whichever you'd prefer."

She smiled. "We could mix them together and make our own special blend."

He shuttered. "No, thank you."

She laughed and led the way to the kitchen. "I think red tonight," she told him as she slid onto one of the stools by the counter.

"Red it is."

He pulled a cabernet from the built-in wine rack, then put it back and drew out a merlot. He held up the bottle, and when she nodded, he started to open it.

"So was that really about me?" she asked. "Are you genuinely concerned about my personal life, or were you thinking of your own? While I don't have a style, I'm guessing yours has been refined by years of practice."

He set the open wine infront ofher and collected two glasses. "I had one once. I don't anymore."

"So you've pulled yourself out of the dating game. Are hearts breaking all over Huntington Beach?"

"Maybe one or two."

"Let me guess. Young, beautifully stunning women with aspirations to be models or actresses?"

"Attractiveness helps, but it's not the only requirement."

"And none of them ever convinced you to walk down the aisle?"

"A few tried," he admitted as he poured them each a glass of whine. "But I never wanted that. I'm more the serial monogamy type. It's all I know."

Her expression turned serious. "What do you mean?"

"Did you become an obstetrician, because your mother died after giving birth to you. So you could save other women?"

Nicole blinked several times. "I don't think so. I never thought about it that way." She shrugged. "It's funny. I talked to my father tonight and he was discussing this verytopic. He said he felt badly that I'd never had the experience of watching a loving marriage work. He thinks that's one of the reason's I'm not married myself."

"Is it?"

"I don't know that answer, either"

"I'm not sure watching would have helped," he said. "I saw plenty of married couples. Some got along great, but others-" He shook his head. "They were a disaster."

"Was Matt's first marriage happy?"

"It looked that way. Atleast from the outside. Although their kid is great, so it probably was." He leaned against the counter. "You don't have to worry that he's carrying a torch for Carrie. He loved her, but it's been a long time. He's let her go. He thinks the world of Val."

She leaned forward and rested her elbows on the counter. "Thanks for reassuring me, but I wasn't worried. Val's got a good head on her shoulders. I don't think she would have fallen for someone who was still inlove with another woman. Matt is a lucky man- he's getting a wonderful woman."

Brian couldn't help wondering why some man hadn't gotten lucky enough to snag Nicole. She was incredible and from what he could tell completely single. It had to be by choice.

She took another sip of wine. "You said that your style was serial monogamy, but what do you like in a woman? Aside from her being incredibly beautiful?"

"I'm going to ignore that last comment. I already sait that beauty isn't all thats important to me."

"Uh-huh." She didn't sound the least bit convinced.

Brian was intrigued by the question. He liked that Nicole wanted to know about his favorite "type." While it wasn't a guarentee that she was interested, it did indicate that she'd given him a little thought.

"What do I like in a woman?" He grinned. "You want the absolute truth or the politically correct version?"

"Oh, absolute truth."

"Can you handle it?"

The corners of her mouth turned up. "Mr. Haner, if you're attempting to challenge me, do not for a moment underestimate my abilities."

He leaned forward. Resting his forearms on the counter. Their faces were only inches apart. He could see the flecks of gold in her eyes and several tiny freckles on her nose. Her lips were a temptation he warned himself to avoid.

"I like an equal combination of intelligence, humor and trashy lingerie. Leather isn't a requirement, but black or red lace is."

Her well-shaped mouth fell open as her eyes widened in shock. "Oh my."

"You asked."

"So I did." She licked her lips. "And how successful are you at acheiingyour ideal?"

"The trashy undersear is pretty easy. It's the intelligence and the humor that I have trouble with."

"I don't understand."

He straightened. "I'm a rockstar," he said bluntly. "I make enough money, but I wear jeans, not suits. Yeah, I have a degree, but I got it going to school at night. Actually I had a scholarship, but I screwed up partying to much my freshman year and got kicked out. I didn't have any skills so I got lucy and joined a band that was on the verge of becoming highly successful."

"Impressive."

"Is it?" He shrugged. "I'm just some guy from the wrong side of the tracks. I prefer movies and sports to ballet and opera, although I do like the theater. I like good wine, but I'm not a snob about it. In my opinion beer and potato chips are a perfectly acceptable food group."

"None of that sounds bad to me," she said.

He wanted to believe her. He wanted to think they were doing more than just playing, but he knew that wasn't the case. When Nicole made up her mind to get involved, it would be with another doctor or a lawyer, or maybe some upper-level corporate executive.

"So tell me abot your Mr. Right. He's rich and successful, with a bunch of degrees."

She straightened. "You seem to have more answers than I do. I haven't thought much about Mr. Right, or Mr. Anybody. I don't really date much. Work keeps me busy."

"Not that busy. You're way too pretty and successful not to have a bunch of men hanging around you."

She surprised him by blushing. Color climbed up her cheeks and she looked away. "Yet I remain surprisingly unfettered by men. It's one of life's great mysteries."

I want to change that. But he only thought the words, he didn't say them. Nor did he move closer, even though he wanted to.

The kitchen seemed to shrink in size and all he could think about was taking her in his arms and kising her. He wanted to feel her next to him again. He wanted her tall, lean body pressed against him, her breasts flattening against his chest. He wanted to get hard and rub his arousal against her belly, then...

"I have to warn you that I'm only yours for the next two weekends," she said. "After that, my time has been committed to someone else."

"I see." He tried to ignore the flare of jealousy burning inside of him. An old boyfriend returning?

"Yes, I'm going to be involved in a rather complex relationship. There will be a major age difference between us."

He caught the light of laugher in her eyes.

"Actually, it's going to be a lot of fun. I'm taking Kyle while he and Vul run off to get married."

"You are?" They'd asked Nicole?

"Don't sound so surprised. I'll remind you that I've been the one helping you out with Sky. I do know something about children."

"It's not that. I told them I could still do it."

She laughed. "Your incredibly optimistic. Sky isn't going to be sleeping this much forever. In the next week or so, she'd going to be awake more and more. You'll have your hands full with one newborn. You need another kid tossed into the mix."

"We could join forces together," he said impulsibely. "You're staying at Matt's right? I could bring Sky and stay with you. I know my newphew pretty well and he can be a handful."

As he waited for Nicole to answer, he told himself he was being crazy. Even if she wanted him along, they were already spending too much time together. Did he really want to head into this dangerous territory?

"I'd like that," she said.

As she spoke the words, something clicked into place inside of him. He had a bad feeling he was already in too deep and it was too late to think about getting out now. The only course of action left to him was to follow this road to the end. Maybe for one in his life, he was going to get it right.