Brian Haner Jr

Brian Haner Jr.

Nicole leaned her head against Brians shoulder. Shes not going to be waking up at night more than another month or so, she said, nodding at the baby in Brians arms.

He smiled down at his already dozing child. I think youre right. Shes still eating enough at this feeding that Im guessing shes waking up because shes hungry and not because of habit, but it wont be all that much longer. Were already down to just one feeing a night.

They were both in Brians big bed, up against the pillows. Nicole had to fight against the urge to close her eyes and let herself believe that this was for keeps. Instead she reached out and touched on of Skys hands.

The little baby closed her fist around Nicoles finger and held on tight. She could smell the fresh scent of baby powder and the male fragrance of Brians body. The combination went to her head.

despite her best intentions, she felt her heart opening to both this man and his child. She wanted to think it was just a reaction to sinus-clearing sex. Anyone would have been shaken by what she and Brian had just experienced. Except she knew it was more than that.

He was the kind of man women dreamed about. Not just because he was handsome but because he was strong and kind and caring. How was she supposed to resist a big, tough guy who was willing to change his life to accommodate a new baby? Hed taken Sky even knowing he was going to be a single father. Hed lacked both skills and practical knowledge. Hed been terrified, but hed done it anyway.

He made Nicole want to lean on him, to borrow some of his amazing stragnth for her own. She wondered if he would mind, if it was just for a little while. Until she would figure things out for herself.

Sky finished her bottle. Brian expertly rested the baby on his shoulder and pattered her back until she burped twice, then he excused himself to put her back in bed. His quiet confidence was so different from those first few nights when hed been afraid to do anything. He and his daughter had learned and grown together. Theyd bonded. Kelly had known that would happen. But what she hadnt thought was that she might do a little bonding of her own. Somehow, when she wasnt paying attention, she had connected with both Sky and Brian. She intertwined both her life and her heart with the pair and she didnt know how to separate from them.

The timing was awful, she thought as she slid down into the bed and pulled the covers up to her chin. She was in no position to get involved with anyone right now. Her life was a mes and shed just started to notice. There were important issues from her past that shed ignored. Well, it was time to stop pussing them into the closet. Instead she had to drag them out and stare them in the face.

In the meantime, what was she supposed to do about Brian?

Shes already asleep, he said as he walked back in the room. He hadnt bothered to pull on clothes and she couldnt help staring at his amazing body. Even if she watched, that most male part of him began to stretch and grow. Her reaction was instinctual and immediate.

She told herself they had thing to talk about. There was much she had to explain to him. Brian slid into bed next to her and gathered her close.

I know what youre thinking, he said as he pressed his body to hers. Youre thinking that we have to talk about how mature were both going to be about this change in out relationship. Youre thinking that its going to take time to figure out how to balance this new intimacy with out existing friendship.

His earnest expression made her smilealmost as much as the busy hands caressing her breasts. Actually, I wasnt thinking that at all, but youre right. We do have to discuss those things.

I plan to be mature, he told her, reaching for a condom on the nightstand. I plan to talk about all those things, but first I want to make love again.

As he sank into her, she knew that shed found an incredibly special man. But she wasnt ready. If she wanted to keep him in her life, she was going to have to do something about getting ready.

His mouth claimed hers. She sighed and welcomed him. Later, she thought hazily as passion overwhelmed. Like Brian, she would wrestle with this particular demon later.