Brian Haner Jr

Brian Haner Jr.

Haner, Brian grunted into the phone. His gaze and his attention stayed focused on the schedule in front of him. They were catching up, but it was a slow process.

Hi, Its Nicole. How are you?

Nicole? The familiar voice took about two seconds to settle into his brain, then he was instantly back in his bed, making love with her the way they had at five that morning. The memory made him smile and get hard.

Well, hello yourself. This is a surprise. He glanced at his watch. It was a little after three in the afternoon. Everything all right?

Im fine. Im here in the hospital with one of my patients.

You could come and see me in person.

I wish I could, but shes having twins and they can get complicated. I want to stay close.

Twins. The thought made him shudder. Sky had been enough of a shock without him having to worry about dealing with two of them. Good luck.

Thanks. Im not expecting any problems, but I want to make sure.

Youre a good doctor.

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment.

Her voice was soft and appealing, just like her. He could listen to her for hours. He could do a lot of things with her for hours.

About last night, he murmured. Did I tell you how much I enjoy being with you?

She laughed. You might have mentioned it a dozen or so times.

Good. I want you to know how special out time toget was. And incredible.

Ill say. I didnt even know that my body was capable to responding that way.

She had been remarkably comfortable with him. Brian wanted to take the credit, telling himself it was his incredible technique or skill, but the reality was he and Nicole simply clicked in bed. He never knew what made that happen. It was some kind of chemistry or emotional connection or a combination of those and other elements. Regardless, he knew that there lovemaking had been extraordinary.

Do you want to come by after youre done birthing your babies?

Id like to but I cant.

There was an odd note in her voice. He sat straighter in his chair. Whats wrong?

Nothing. I just she drew in a breath. I have to go out of town tomorrow. Thats really why Im calling. I wanted to let you know that Id be gone.

Something was happening. Brian could feel it and he didnt like it one bit. Usually when I dont satisfy a woman in bed she just refuses to see me again. She rarely feels the need to head out of town.

Nicole chuckled. The soft sound relieved him.

Its not that, and you know it. This isnt even about you.

Then whats it about?

I have a couple of things I have to take care of.

Business?

She hesitated. More like my past. Its just the one day. Ill be back tomorrow night.

Will you call me when you get back?

Would you like me go? she asked.

Always.

Then I will.

He heard a voice in the background.

I have to go, Brian.

All right. You take care of yourself. Have a safe trip.

I will. Bye.

She hung up the phone.

Brian slowly lowered the receiver to the cradle, then glanced back at his papers. But instead of seeing the work schedule, he saw Nicoles face, her smile, imagined the way shed looked that morning when hed entered her.

She was an amazing woman and he was lucky to have her in his life. Even though he wondered where she was going and what she had to do there, he didnt worry that it had anything to do with another man. He wasnt jealousyet.

However, it was just a matter of time until Nicole started wondering what she was doing, wasting her time on a guy like him. They were good friends, they were good in bed, but it would never be anything more. Even if he was the type, she wasnt for him. Eventually she would realize that she could do a whole lot better and when that time came, she would leave. Oh, she would want to stay friends for a while, but everything between them would change.

He told himself it didnt matter- that hed survived without her before and that he could do it again. But the words were emptyas empty as his life had been before shed entered it and showed him what he was missing