Brian Haner Jr

Brian Haner Jr.

Plans spilled over Matts desk until there wasnt any room for their sandwiches. Brian pointed to a computer print-out of a calendar. "Jimmys ready to start his drum parts when your finished with your vocals." He said. "This is the part of the project thats going to get tricky. Everyone thinks his department is the most important."

Matt nodded thoughtfully. "Were all going to have a tough time keeping egos in check."

"Agreed. Thats why I want Zacky in charge. Hes going to trample over everyone, which will at least make it fair." Brian grinned. "Seriously, hes good at his thing. Plus if I stay out of it, he can use me as a point of arbitration when it gets ugly."

Matt looked at the calendar, then at the progress report. "You're only about three days behind where youd initially projected youd be. I'm impressed. I mean that as your customer. As you friend, Im proud as hell."

"Thanks," Brian said. He'd worked damn hard on this project and it was gratifying to see it come together. "So hows life as a married man?"

Matt grinned. "Great. Next to my son, Val is the best thing that ever happened to me." He moved the plans to the side and pulled out his plate. Brian did the same. Both men took a seat.

Matt took a bite of his sandwich and chewed. "There's going to be an adjustment period for everyone. Val adores the kids, but face it, theyre not easy. They take a lot of time and attention. Were all feeling out way through blending the family into a working unit."

"She loves Kyle."

"Yeah, she does." Matt smiled, his love for his new wife obvious. "She's a great mom. Which is good, what with her being pregnant and all." He looked back at Brian. "We both really appreciate that you helped Nicole out with Kyle."

"It was fun. We had a great weekend."

"So I heard. Kyle said you two did very well for adults unused to being around kids."

Brian laughed. "That sounds just like Kyle."

"He also said that you spent a lot of time making eyes at Nicole."

Brian concentrated on eating, hoping to avoid an answer. But when Matt continued staring at him, he knew he wasnt going to get that lucky.

"Were friends," he said at last. "Good friends. We get along."

"Thats not what I heard," Matt teased. "Rumor has it youre a little bit more than friends."

Brian couldnt believe it. How had is brother Of course. Val.

"Oh, yeah. They were on the phone nearly an hour. Val told me later she was gunning for details but Nicole was fairly close-mouthed about all but the bit picture." Matt raised his eyebrows. "So? Now that youve done with wild thing, when are you going to make an honest woman of her?"

Brian stared at his friend. He doubted he would have been more shocked if Matt had decked him. "What?"

"Marriage," Matt said. "You know, long white dress, diamond ring, happily ever after?"

"No way." Brian swallowed against the tightness in his check and his throat. "I dont do commitments, at least not like that. Nothing good lasts forever. Ill admit that Nicoles very special and that Im lucky to have her in my life, but thats not a forever kind of thing."

Matts mouth tightened. "Its time to let go of the past, Brian. We dont get many breaks when were growing up and I can understand why you worry about things lasting, but youre not that scared kid anymore. Youre a man. You can take care of yourself."

"Its not me Im worried about."

"Then who? Nicole?"

He didnt have an answer so he shrugged. "I told you I dont do permanent."

"So what about Sky? A kid is pretty permanent fixture in a parents life. You planning on dumping her in a couple of years?"

"Of course not." Brian couldnt believe Matt would even suggest such a thing. Shes my daughter.

"Explain the difference."

Brian opened his mouth, then closed it. Obviously there was a difference between a wife and a while, but thats not what Matt was talking about.

Brian leaned back in his chair and tried to figure it all out. Hed never really put it together before- the forever part. Hed known that Sky was his child and that hed made the decision to keep her. Hed know it was going to be for a long time, but until this moment, he hadnt realized that hed signed on for the rest of his life. That no matter what he would be there for her- because he loved her and he no longer wanted to live in a world where she wasnt part of his life.

He waited for the terror, for the second thoughts and plans for getting away, but none of them appeared. All he felt was a deep and profound love for his daughter.

"Sky is everything to me," he said at last.

"Exactly," Matt told him. "Loving a child is a different part of your heart than loving a woman, but the principles are the same. Commitment, patience, time, repect. So Im going to ask you again. What about Nicole?"

What about Nicole? Brian didnt have an answer. Because hed never allowed himself to think of her that way. Not only because of who he was, but because of who she way.

"Shes a doctor," he said.

"I've heard that." Matts voice was teasing.

"No, I mean shes a doctor. Im just some guy who plays an instrument in a band."

"So this is about what you do for a living?"

"Yeah."

"What about the fact that you love her? Doesnt that count?"

"I dont love her," Brian insisted, but the words rang hollow. Love? Him? Did he love Nicole?

"You're a food if you let her go," Matt told him. "Women like her dont come along every day."

"You think I dont know that? But say your right. What am I supposed to offer her?"

"Your heart."

"As simple as that?"

Matt smiled. "It's only complicated if you make it complicated."

Matt made it sound so easy, but Brian knew that his friend was wrong. Even if Nicole was the right woman for him, he sure as hell wasnt the right man for her.