Brian Haner Jr

Brian Haner Jr.

Shes bleeding, the nurse told Nicole as she scrubbed at the large sink. The baby is doing all right for now.

Nicoles mind raced frantically as she considered the possibilities. Is the neonatal unit ready for us? she asked.

Yes, Doctor.

Nicole stepped away from the sink and headed for the labor room. She had a bad feeling they were going to have to take the baby. A C-Section wasnt the end of the world, but it would probably send Corina into a panic. Still, if she was in trouble there wasnt another choice. No way was Nicole going to lose either of her patients.

Hows it going? she asked as she stepped into the room.

Corina looked up and tried to smile, but she was crying too hard. Not great. Somethings wrong, Dr. Nicole. I can feel it.

Your baby wants to come a little early, Nicole said, her voice reassuring. She was frantic to start examining Corina but experience had taught her that thirty seconds of reassurance at the beginning of a problem could literally be a life saver. It happens all the time. Some babies are impatient and theres not much we can do about that. But youre well into your thirty-third week. Its manageable.

What was less manageable was the blood she saw staining the towels that had been tossed into a bucket below the table. Nicole glanced at the monitors attached tor Corina and the baby. They didnt have a whole lot of time.

Its my fault, Corina cried as tears poured down her cheeks. I know I did something terrible.

No, you didnt, Nicole told her. Its not your fault. It just happened.

Big brown eyes bore into her soul. My baby knows I dont want it. Its trying to die.

Nicole walked over to Corina and took her hands. Youre not doing anything worng. You and the baby are going to be fine. Do you trust me?

Corina stared at her, then nodded slowly.

Good. Now try to relax. Im going to keep both of you safe.

Doctor?

Nicole glanced at the monitor, then at the nurse monitoring the bleeding. Lets get going, Nicole said.

She started issuing orders even as she was bent to examine Corina. The rest of the world seemed to fade around her. Her mind cleared. She didnt even have to think, she just knew the next step. She was going to make sure both mother and child came out of this just fine.