Status: brand new and re-edited!

Vicious Traditions

two.

“Do you want to come in and listen to the big news?”
Bianca smiled, and shrugged.
“Why not? You’re going to tell me later, anyway.”
Angelina smiled as her and her best friend grabbed their bags from the mall. Bianca opened the cherry wood doors to enter the Romano house, as Angelina closed it behind her. Laying their things down in the foyer, the two girls walked into the living room, seeing the same people from earlier, plus Nina and her now fiancé, Frank.
“Ange!”
Angelina ran towards her older sister, and the two couldn’t help but smile.
“You’re a jerk, you know that? Where do you get off, not even telling me at all yourself, but telling me last?!”
Nina laughed and shrugged, as Frank hugged his future sister-in-law. As Bianca was being welcomed into the home, Angelina sat down in between Angelo and her brother. Bianca soon joined, sitting beside Salvatore. Nina and Frank stood in front of the four, and looked at each other, smiling.
“Well, our big news for you is that Frank and I have decided that Angelina; you will be my maid of honor!”
Angelina and Bianca jumped up, and started hugging Nina and each other, immediately discussing dresses, flowers, and shoes. Mr. and Mrs. Romano stood by, laughing and smiling along with Angelo and Salvatore. Frank spoke up as the girls kept droning on.
“Alright, girls, alright. There’s more news, and it’s not from us.”
Angelina furrowed her brows, and looked behind her, seeing her father beginning to stand up, a serious look on his face. She and Bianca sat down, while Frank and Nina made themselves comfortable on the love seat across from them. Angelo and Salvatore immediately stood up straight, eager to hear the important news that Don Romano had reminded them earlier about.
“Okay. Now, my news may not be as exciting as Nina and Frank’s, however, it is just as important, if not more.”
Angelina immediately sat up straight, as well, hearing the seriousness in her father’s voice, and the uneasy look on her mother’s face.
“As you all know, running this family has advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are having connections for you kids, property and economic benefits, etcetera, etcetera. The disadvantages, of course, are making enemies with people you do not want to be enemies with. I have reviewed, taken care of, and seen everything I’ve had to, and this is a decision that I know will be difficult to accept, however, must be enforced. My decision is final, and arguments and disagreements are not necessary. The Sanders of So. Cal. and their soldiers have been invited to the wedding according to the tradition of our family. That tradition regards respect, forgiveness, and maturity. I have invited them for dinner on Thursday night to smooth things over, and be sure that there is no animosity.”
Salvatore looked down, head in his hands, as Angelo looked at his father. Angelina looked down, ignoring Bianca’s shocked look. They all knew who the Sanders were. They are the reason Vincent Jr. was in prison right now; after a numbers runner, Salvatore’s best friend, Eddie, for the Romano family was killed, Vincent Jr. was sent to intimidate the other family. However, after fighting words were exchanged, the eldest fraternal twin and offspring of the Romano family, took a knife, stabbing a very important soldier; the brother of Gary Sanders. Gary Sanders ran the Irish; the “owners” of So. Cal. The enemies.
“Pops, I mean... you cannot be serious.”
Mr. Romano shook his head, holding his hand up.
“Salvatore, you have to understand. This isn’t to upset or hurt you. This is to show that we are better, more mature, and can forgive.”
Salvatore shook his head, and stood up.
“I’m not forgiving those animals for taking my brother away and killing my best friend.”
Salvatore walked out of the house, ignoring the pleas from his mother and Nina. Don Romano stood there, and looked at Angelo.
“Angelo?”
Lifting his disappointment filled head, Angelo could only nod.
“As you could imagine, Sir, I am greatly confused and a bit bothered, but as always, I respect your decision and will do anything to make sure everything goes smoothly.”
Angelo’s father nodded, looking at his boss, getting a glance in return.
“Very good, son. Angelina?”
Angelina ran a hand through her blonde hair, and took a deep breath, looking back at her father.
“I don’t know what to think right now, Dad. I wish I had.”
The Don walked over to his youngest child, and kissed her head.
“I know this is hard, Principessa. Believe me; I do not like it any more than you do. However, it has to be done. There is only so much of California to share and fight over. If not doing this, then this family will be asking for a fight, which is right to avoid. When the first daughter of the family is to be married, the enemies must be invited; a peace offering.”
Angelina nodded, but not understanding. How could her father, one of the most powerful men on the West Coast, think this way? The Sanders and their soldiers are the reason her older brother was in prison and why her family had been going through so much pain.
“Come on, Bianca. I will walk you out.”
Bianca easily took the hint, and stood up, but after thanking the family for having her in their home, as always. Receiving a small wave from Mrs. Romano, Bianca followed her best friend outside.
“Are you doing to be okay?”
Angelina handed Bianca her shopping bags and nodded wearily.
“I don’t have a choice, Bee. I guess I have to; it’s just going to take me a little bit.”
Bianca hugged her best friend, and opened the driver seat of her car, placing the bags in the back seat.
“Well, you better hurry up. You have until Thursday, Ange.”
Angelina smiled a bit, and waved as Bianca drove out of the gated driveway. Walking back inside, Angelina stiffened at the tension that was weaving through the air like a swarm of angry birds.
“I will be in my room.”
Her father silenced the conversation between him and Angelo’s father, and her mother nodded.
“Alright, Principessa. Dinner will be ready in about an hour.”
Angelo stood up, and called Angelina’s name before she got at least halfway up the staircase.
“Are you going to be alright?”
Angelina shrugged, taking a breath.
“It’s just hard to think of forgiveness when my brother is in jail for defending our family.”
Angelo nodded in understanding.
“I know, Angelina. I promise, though, with all of my being, that I will not let anything happen to you or anyone else in this family.”
With that, he kissed her hand, making her smile.
“We cannot stay for dinner, but I will see you Thursday night.”
Angelina nodded, turning and heading up the stairs. Hearing the Rolls Royce that belonged to her father’s best friend start up, she plopped on her bed, and let out a sigh. She toyed with the cross around her neck, thinking of her brother in his jail cell, just staring at the floor and thinking about what he had done. What hurt even more was that the family was not allowed to visit him. The first week he was locked up, Don Romano headed up to the prison to see if he needed anything. The only thing the Don left with was his eldest son’s words of no one being allowed to visit him when he was in there. He had failed the family; the last thing he needed was the people he loved being there, looking at him with disappointment in their eyes.
Angelina sighed, and closed her eyes. Tomorrow would try and be better, but Thursday was going to be a hell storm.