Status: brand new and re-edited!

Vicious Traditions

four.

Angelina looked over her dress for the evening, and took a deep breath in, mentally preparing herself for the exhausting night ahead. She hoped that there would be no tension, but with Salvatore’s grudge and Angelo’s pride, there was no clear prediction of the rest of the night, or even the months until the wedding. A knocking on the door interrupted Angelina’s thoughts, making her look up and allow entrance. Her mother let herself in, shutting the cherry wood door behind herself.
“You look beautiful, Principessa.”
Angelina thanked her mother as she looked down at her manicured finger nails. Mrs. Romano approached her daughter from behind, gently hugging her.
“Darling, I know this is a lot to handle, and please do not think bitterly about your father or this decision. Your brother is just upset because of Eddie and your brother. He’s a little too hot headed and close-minded; you know that.”
Angelina nodded, giving her mother a reassuring smile.
“I know, Mother. I’m fine, and I understand. Dad is just doing what’s right.”
With a light kiss on the cheek, her mother thanked her, and left the room after reminding her that the guests were on the way. Angelina ran a hand through her ponytail, and made sure her eyeliner was perfectly aligned under her eyelids.

Matt straightened his black tie and made sure his black dress shirt was tucked in. His black slacks and black shoes were tidy, and soon, there was a knock on the door. Mrs. Sanders walked in, smiling at her only son.
“Are you alright, Matthew?”
Matt looked at his mother in the mirror, but looked down, fiddling with his buttons.
“Matthew, please. You are not the only person this is difficult for.”
Matt was through with arguing, knowing that it would get home nowhere. He just kept looking down, and soon, he felt his mother’s hand touch his sleeve covered arm.
“Do me a favor? Put a different color on. You look like you’re going to a funeral.”
Sighing, Matt pointed to his bedroom door, his mother just nodding in return, showing herself out. Matt walked over to the closet, grabbing a dark green shirt. He quickly changed, and looked at himself in the mirror for the millionth time.
“Remember, man. They are nothing but fucking scum. Do not listen to them, and do not accept them. Do it for Uncle John.”
After reassuring himself, Matt left his room, joining his family in the car, while soldiers followed in theirs to the Romano house down the PCH. The car ride was somewhat quiet, with the exception of Mr. Sanders clearing his throat every few seconds, and Mrs. Sanders’ nails clicking together out of habit. Matt stared out of the tinted window, watching the sun set perfectly over the black looking water which he had come to love. He remembered how he and his best friends would spend more than six hours on the beach and in the water. They still did, but now, beer and girls were added into the mix.
“We’re here, sir.”
Gary thanked the driver, Bob, and helped his wife out. Matt stepped out, looking up at the house which held the people whom made his blood boil. He heard other car doors shut, making him turn to see his four best friends step out of their cars with their parents. They approached the mafia boss’s son, shaking hands, asking each other how they were, and what to expect.
“It’s definitely just going to be a fucking lame ass dinner with a bunch slobs fighting over spaghetti.”
The boys laughed at Jimmy’s vision, and were quick to agree.
“Come on, boys. They’re waiting.”
The five young men walked behind their parents, the sound of footsteps against cement cutting through the air. Mr. Sanders knocked on the large, cathedral doors, shoving his hands into his pockets.
“Remember what I said, boys.”
Matt was the only one who didn’t nod, or respond to his father. He just glared at him, wanting so much to go home and be assured that this was just a sick joke that the whole family plotted. Before Matt could wish for that, the front door opened, revealing a large man with a black and cream suit on and a welcoming smile on his face.
“So good to see you, Gary.”
“Likewise, Vincent. This is all of us.”
The man, Mr. Romano, as Matt figured out, nodded in approval and stepped aside, telling the guests to come in and make themselves at home. Gary and Mr. Romano broke away and stayed in the foyer to talk, while the soldiers and the five boys continued into the living room. The boys leaned on the staircase railing, looking around the expensive home. There were marble floors, large paintings all over the wall of Italy and family portraits, a piano, and vintage furniture. Matt just shook his head, sighing audibly while Brian nudged him, telling him to relax.
A few minutes passed, and Mrs. Romano had already gathered the mothers to take their compliments, thank them, and explain the paintings. Matt looked around and saw six boys standing across the room, eyeing the Irish guests. One of them had to be the boss’s son, Salvatore, whose name Matt had only heard when the infamous Vincent, Jr. was. The other five had to have just been sons of soldiers, or actual soldiers themselves; to Matt, they were just sleazy pawns bred to be the typical trash Matt and his friends had always laughed at.
Mr. Romano and Mr. Sanders returned from the foyer, smiles of satisfaction on both faces. Mr. Romano whispered into his wife’s ear, and she responded, pointing up the stairs. The boss walked towards the stairs, and clapped his hands once, gaining the attention of everyone in the room.
“I apologize for my daughter’s tardiness. She must still be getting ready. Excuse me.”
Mr. Romano made his way up the stairs, and disappeared into the hallway. Matt tapped his foot, forgetting that the Romano’s did have another daughter. From the information he remembered, she was about his own age. Zacky nudged Matt, making the two lock eyes.
“How much you wanna bet she’s a fucking babe?”
Matt shook his head, chuckling.
“I’ll bet you twenty dollars that she looks like a dog.”
The two shook hands, laughing to themselves. Hearing footsteps on the stairs, everyone in the room looked up, Matt and his friends included. Mr. Romano was arm and arm with a blonde bombshell whom had a pearly white small attached to her face. Matt’s mouth slowly opened, his eyes locking with hers. He felt an elbow in his side, but ignored it.
“You owe me twenty dollars.”
Matt slowly looked at Zacky, closing his mouth. He looked at the girl again, clearing his throat. He ran a hand through his short hair, knowing that this was definitely karma. He talked shit about this family, whom he hated with every fiber of his being, but here is one of the most beautiful girls he has ever seen right in front of her, representing said hated family. Matt just crossed his arms, telling himself that he had to stand his ground.
“This is my daughter, Angelina.”
Matt swallowed, the lump in his throat going down. The two held eye contact for a few minutes, before she smiled at him, giving him a subtle wink. He rubbed his lips together, and kept his arms crossed. He had a horrible feeling that his plan would foil very easily with this girl around.
“Let’s eat, shall we?”
The Romano family and their guests made their way into the huge dining room, and sat where they desired. Mr. Romano sat at the head of the table, Mr. Sanders and his family one his right, and his wife on his left. Angelina, Angelo, Salvatore, and the rest of the Italian family sat on one side of the table, while Matt, the boys, and the Irish family sat on the other. Matt sat across from Angelina, trying to concentrate on his plate of spaghetti, sausage, and a dinner roll. Angelina took a sip from her glass of water while Angelo toyed with his utensils. Salvatore was staring at his plate, occasionally tapping his fingers on the table. Nina and Frank were talking quietly to each other, occasionally laughing and holding each other’s hands. Matt’s father took a sip of his wine, and cleared his throat.
“So, Nina and Frank; how is the planning for the big day coming?”
The couple looked at each other, chuckling.
“It’s been hectic, but we are getting things done. It’s best to get the little things done now, since they are definitely going to be forgotten; flower arrangements, shoe orders for the bride’s maids, and all that kind of stuff.”
Gary and his wife nodded, congratulating the two again. Several conversations between the soldiers and the parents broke out, leaving the five boys and Angelina quiet. She would occasionally run her hands through her golden blonde hair, her diamond earrings sparkling from the light of the chandelier above the table. Jimmy took a sip from his water, and scratched his neck.
“This is fun.”
The boys chuckled, and Angelina looked up at the boys. Matt bit his lip when he saw her smile, obviously finding amusement in their best friend.
“It goes from fun to a blast, trust me.”
Her sarcasm made the boys chuckle again, Matt smiling to be polite. He watched her as she fiddled with her silver Tiffany bracelet, the dangling heart shaped charm showing off a small gleam of light. His hazel eyes went to the parts of her body that were visible from her sitting position, and rubbed his lips together for the second time. She caught his eyes, and smiled at him, letting him know that he had been caught. He smiled genuinely back as she let out a small giggle. The heats in both teen’s faces made them look down, biting their lips. Matt soon realized what he was doing, and stopped. His eyes slowly looked upward, seeing her start eating her food, keeping quiet. Matt’s plan repeated itself in his head, making him memorize it. Just eat their food, thank them, and get home. Only do what his father says, and in a few weeks, he will never have to see these people again.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)