Status: brand new and re-edited!

Vicious Traditions

six.

Angelina glanced at her reflection in the car window, mentally approving of her casual, yet appropriate hair style; a small braid atop her head, while the rest of shimmering blonde hair rested in a ponytail beside her pierced ears. Her brother sat beside her, staring at his lap, while his parents sat beside each other across the car, facing her. Once in a while, a small cough or sigh was emitted from one of them, but no conversation was made, except for small talk between her mother and father.

"It should be fine. Just a casual dinner to ensure peace, and after the wedding, the tension should hopefully lift."

Mrs. Romano agreed with her husband's optimism while her children sat in silence, still not knowing what to think. Before their father could assure them with his thoughts, the car came to a halt. Angelina looked out of the window to the familiar Sanders mansion, and she revealed a small grin.
As the door opened, the family driver held out his hand for the two women, while the men helped themselves out. Other cars pulled behind them in a matter of seconds, emptying out with Romano soldiers and family. Most of Angelina and Salvatore's aunts, uncles, and cousins came along with the promise of dinner and peace. At a time like this, with the land and business in California, they knew that the idea of being civil and sharing had to come along sometime.

Angelina spotted Bianca with her parents and let out a sigh of relief. They both gave each other a smile and small wave, and Bianca approached the Romano's. They greeted her back, and she walked towards the door next to her best friend.

"This is actually pretty exciting. I'm dyin' to see these boys."

Angelina giggled and watched as her father knocked on the cherry wood door the second time in a matter of days. Looking back at his son, he gave him a nod just before the door opened, revealing Gary Sanders. Mr. Sanders smiled, greeting everyone with a handshake and a verbal "Welcome". As Bianca and Angelina walked inside, Bianca couldn't help but look around at the unfamiliar surroundings.

The paintings on the walls of past Irish relatives, a burnt Irish flag in a golden frame above the staircase; a plaque underneath it told a short story of one of Ireland's victories from the past. Angelina heard the front door close, the majority of the guests in the living room, seeing as the foyer was a little too small to hold everyone. Mr. Sanders excused himself as he promised to bring back his family.

"Here they come."

Bianca giggled as Angelina nudged her shoulder.

"Which one did you say you liked?"

Before Angelina could clarify, the five boys plus their families stood in front of them, forced smiles on their faces and their eyes scanning the Italian crowd. The Sanders adults scattered to introduce themselves to the Romanos, Angelina and Bianca broke apart to stand with the five young men.

"Hey."

Angelina looked up at the silky voice, seeing it was Matt. She smiled and returned his verbal greeting. Matt was surprised he even greeted her at all. He couldn't help it. The second Angelina walked through the front door of his home, he couldn't wipe the cheesy grin off of his face.

"You girls look lovely" Brian spoke up with a smirk.

The two girls blushed and Bianca, always being the braver one, spoke up.

"You boys are looking pretty good yourselves."

They all smiled and adjusted their ties and collars, making Angelina giggle. Before she could continue the conversation, she felt an arm on her shoulder. When she turned, she felt bittersweet to see that it was Angelo, wearing an almost all black ensemble with a blood red straight tie.

"Hello beautiful" he greeted with a wolfish smile.

Bianca inconspicuously rolled her eyes, making the five boys smirk again. Angelina kissed Angelo's cheek.

"Hey, handsome. How are you?" she asked, merely being polite.

"Good, good. How about you?" he returned, eyeing up the boys that stood before him.

"I'm fine, having a nice conversation with these fine gentlemen."

The boys' smiles slowly started to fade as Angelo's friends joined him and sized them up. Angelo side glanced at Angelina and seeing her smile at them made his blood boil. However, now was not the time for any kind of confrontation. He stuck his hand out.

"Gentlemen, Angelo Servino. Nice to meet you."

The boys shook hands with the wannabe Goodfellas, knowing it was easier to just be polite and causing no drama. Angela and Bianca stood there awkwardly, waiting for some kind of threat to be made. What could they expect? Surprisingly enough, there was none, and once Angelo was called over by his father, the relief hit them in waves.

"Douchebag" Jimmy said under his breathe as Angelo disappeared into the small crowd.

The girls turned around and looked at him, a small smile threatening to appear on both of their faces.

"Sorry."

The girls looked at each other and started giggling, covering their mouths. The boys tilted their heads in confusion, thinking they had missed something completely.

"It's fine. It's not like he tries to hide it."

Matt smiled at Angelina, and the boys started laughing.

"Lades and Gentlemen" Mr. Sanders spoke from the staircase, "dinner is served. Please" he motioned with his hand to the dining room. The boys motioned for the girls to go first, Matt walking behind the petite blonde. Her crisp perfume strung across the air and it made his body warm. The clean mixture of lavender and vanilla was enough to make him daydream of cuddling in the crook of her neck for hour - days on end.

He snapped out of is little vision as they entered the larger dining room, with silverware and plates for what seemed like miles placed on the dark cherry wood table. The girls took their places and Matt took it upon himself to sit down next to Angelina. The boys did the same, and could feel eyes burning into their bodies from across the table top. Angelo and his posse were staring them down, and if looks could kill, the room would be a slaughterhouse.

Bianca folded her napkin on her lap and immediately started toying with her hair. Brian sat in between the girls, obviously having taken a liking to the more outspoken one of the duo. Matt watched as Angelina did the same with her napkin and folded her hands in her lap - a real lady. The Irish boy smiled and she must've felt it. She looked up, their eyes meeting for a few seconds before her blushing and cheesy grin gave her away. Matt chuckled to himself, but something was tugging ferociously at his thoughts.

What the fuck are you doing? She's the enemy! Stop thinking with your dick! She wouldn't wanna be with someone like you, anyway! You're an animal to her!

Before he could try to sway his mind otherwise, his father spoke up from the head of the table, where most of the adults were sitting together.

"I want to take this minute before we start eating to thank you all for coming here this evening and putting all past troubles aside to celebrate this joyous occasion."

The room erupted in clapping as Nina and Frank smiled and thanked everyone. Angelina beamed as her sister looked at her and winked. Reassurance.

"I also want to take this time to recognize the hope of old rivalries dying and new friendships beginning. This is a wonderful opportunity to make up for lost advantages and time. So thank you all for that. Please, enjoy the food."

The room erupted in clapping again, and within seconds, the servers dispersed from the kitchen with silver trays, walking around the table like an well organized marching band. Angelina watched in awe as multiple platters of steak, potatoes, vegetables, and bread were placed down like an assembly line.

After filling their plates, the whole room slowly eased themselves into scattered conversations. Don Romano began talking politics rather quietly with Mr. Sanders and his henchmen at the head of the table, while the wives shared tips about gardening and different restaurants that they just "had" to pay a visit to.

Angelo was talking with his friends and Brian was chatting up Bianca and apparently, he was doing a very good job at it, considering that Angelina had never heard her best friend giggle so much. The blonde was picking at her food as Matt was halfway done with his second plate. Jimmy nudged his best friend in the side, making Matt look over with a confused look.

The taller one motioned his head to the girl beside him with coaxing eyes. Matt shrugged, clearly thinking his friend has lost it.

"Talk to her" Jimmy mouthed.

Matt quickly glanced at Angelina, seeing her looking around the room, observing the paintings that hung on the walls. They each told a story, and she seemed to have found them all extremely interesting.

Matt looked back at his friend whom nudged him again. The boy sighed quietly to himself and wiped his face with his napkin. He nudged her arm with his elbow, making her turn, her beautiful blonde hair bouncing on her shoulder. She smiled at him and he actually lost his breath. Thankfully, before the awkwardness set in, he had his thoughts collected.

"Bored?"

You fucking idiot.

She gave a dramatic sigh in return, earning a chuckle, and shrugged.

"I'm used to it. Little get-togethers like these happen all of the time at my house."

Matt nodded and started fiddling with is napkin. She noted his nerves and thought it was adorable. She bit her bottom lip and turned towards him, so her back was to Brian.

"What's there to do for fun around here? I'm not that familiar with Orange County."

Matt raised his eyebrows at her boldness, and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Probably the same things you guys got up North, but it's just better down here" he explained with a smirk.

Angelina laughed, and it was music to the boy's ears.

"Really now? I think you're a little biased."

"Maybe, but I've never been proven wrong."

Angelina raised an eyebrow and noticed that he had stopped playing with his napkin and his complete attention was on her.

"Well, I think I should see first hand rather than just take your word for it" she said.

Matt tilted his head and she just giggled as she turned back in her seat and stood up. He watched as she glided across the floor to kneel in between her brother and her father, whom were laughing with Matt's father. He saw her whisper in Don Romano's ear and watched as his eyes darted to his own, as did Salvatore's. He suddenly felt ten times smaller. Within seconds, the man looked at his daughter and his lips started moving, her brother nodding in agreement with a small forced smile. Matt started drumming his fingers on the table with anxiety and impatience. Then, the blonde smiled brightly, kissed her dad and brother's cheek, and made her way back to where she was seated.

"So, are you ready?"

Matt's eyes bulged out of his head and before he could stand up, the blonde was whispering in Bianca's ear.

"Where the fuck you going, dude?"

Matt looked down at Jimmy, Johnny and Zacky and pushed his chair in.

"We're going out. This dinner is lame. The girls are coming with us."

The three didn't need anymore of an explanation. They jumped out of their seats and pushed them in, as well, heading straight for the door. Matt walked towards his father, telling the girls and his friends that he would be out shortly. Angelina grabbed her clutch bag and started rummaging through it, making sure she had her license and keys.

"Hey, Dad" Matt said as he leaned down to where his father was sitting.

"Hey, Matt. Where you guys headed off to?"

Before Matt could answer, Angelina's father spoke up.

"The boys are going to take the girls out for a while. Kids don't want to be cooped up in here with us boring adults. I think it's a fine idea."

Matt smiled and returned his eyes on his father, whom seemed a little more pleased than he thought he'd be.

"As do I, actually. Here -" his father said as he slipped a couple of twenties into his son's hand.
"Just be safe."

Matt nodded and thanked his father. He shook Don Romano's hand, but was gently pulled down so they were eye to eye.

"Please have the girls home before two, Matthew. I would greatly appreciate it."

Not a warning or a threat, just a polite request.

"Absolutely, sir. I will take care of them."

"Good boy" he said as he patted Matt's shoulder. Matt nodded and started walking towards his seat, where Angelina was just zipping up her clutch.

"Ready to see what real fun is?"
♠ ♠ ♠
starting this up again!