Roof-Top Romance

WAFFLE HOUSE

Gerard pulled into Speedway and drove around back and parked in the Waffle House parking lot. He pulled it in sideways and parked in the last set of spaces. Everyone got out and he locked it up.
They went in and sat at the left corner of the place at a big table. They had to add another table to make room for Nick and Caitlin. They sat in the same places as they did at Bob Evans. But this time Nick and Caitlin were with them. They sat across from each other.
This time, everyone was more calm. It was really early and everyone was tired.
“When we go home, where does everyone want to sleep?” She asked them. “Cause my bed can fit two, my sister’s bed can fit one, but we have an air mattress for two and a couch, big floor, and two chairs downstairs. There’s plenty of room, just take your pick.”
“We can probably stay on the bus if it’s easier,” Gerard said.
“Not me,” Ray said. “I sat on her couch. I claim it.”
Elena laughed and said, “Okay.”
“I can’t stay. I have to go home,” Nick said.
“Well that’s pretty gay. It’s almost 4:30 and you have to go? You might as well call and say you’re staying,” Elena said to him and she threw him her cell phone.
After she did that, a chunky old lady with red hair said, “Can I take your order?”
“I’ll have the two eggs and hash browns with cheese and onions. Also toast,” Gerard said.
“How do you want your eggs?” She asked him.
“Over easy,” He told her.
“I’ll have the same thing he’s having,” Caitlin said.
“I’ll have waffles and sausage with plain hash browns,” Nick said.
“I want two waffles with cheese hash browns,” Elena said.
“I want what she’s having, but with sausage as well,” Frank said.
“I’ll have the same,” Mikey said.
“The same, but with bacon,” Ray said.
“I want waffles and sausage with a side of hash browns with cheese, onions, and mushrooms,” Bob said.
“Okay, it will be out soon,” She told them and she walked away. A couple of seconds later she was back and told them that she had forgotten drinks.
“Coke,” Caitlin said.
“Sprite,” Nick said.
“Sprite,” Elena said.
“Diet coke,” Gerard said.
“Dr. Pepper,” Bob said.
“Coke,” Frank said.
“Dr. Pepper,” Mikey said.
“Coke,” Ray said.
She wrote them down and walked away.
“It seemed last time everyone had something to say. But it wasn’t 5:00 in the morning last time either,” Elena said.
“Exactly,” Gerard said.
“So what have I been missing at school?” Elena asked Nick and Caitlin.
“Well in gym we did our activities. In band we did band stuff,” Nick said.
“English was free writing both days and world studies was current events,” Caitlin said.
“Geometry was proofs. So gay,” Nick said.
“Science was a lab and a quiz,” Caitlin said.
“Well it sounds like the usual crap so blah. Spanish is Spanish, so nothing special there. What about lunch?” Elena asked.
“People were laughing, eating, and kicking each other,” Caitlin said.
“Did you do your homework Nick?” Elena asked him.
“No, Caitlin did it for me,” He replied.
“You’re so lazy!” She said and she laughed.
“No, it’s just dumb and I don’t want to do it,” He said.
“You’re gonna fail,” Caitlin said.
“Well, I’ve had a great time with these guys. We have spent so much time together and I loved every minute of it. This tour will be the best,” Elena said.
“Well I’m really excited for you. I’m sure you will have fun. You’ll have to call me when you’re not busy so you can tell me what’s up,” Caitlin said.
“I will. We will have so much to talk about and you will have to update me on what’s going on,” Elena told her.
“Of course, and we’ll miss you.”
“Cool! Well, not really. But I’ll miss you too. But just know that I will be happy,” Elena said.
“My God, you sound like you’re dying,” Nick said.
“Shut up! Wow, I was just thinking, this really sucks for you. You won’t have anyone to mess with in gym, band, or math class. What ever will you do?” Elena said to him sarcastically.
“I’ll probably end up doing my work or something crazy like that,” He said.
They all laughed at this. Then the food came. Everyone was laughing because the lady forgot Ray’s food. It’s only funny if you know how he reacted. He sat there with no food for about two minutes. The expression on his face was like, “Damn, this really sucks.” Then he finally said, “Uh, I don’t have food.”
She didn’t hear him the first time, so he got up and told her that she forgot his food. She said, “Oh honey, I’m so sorry. Let me get you something.”
He told her again what he wanted. Everyone was almost done when his came out. They continued talking and eating and other stuff that people do when they are out with a bunch of friends. They were tired though. You could see it in their eyes.
Elena paid just like she said she would. Then Gerard drove them back to her house.