Roof-Top Romance

SCHOOL

*RING* The bell for first period rang. I was sitting on the floor in the Gym room waiting for Bennie to show up. Bennie was my brother. He was my best friend in the entire world and every morning I waited for him to come into the Gym room. We had only one class together, and really it was the only time throughout the day that I got to see him to talk to him. No one really paid attention to the morning announcements, but that day, I did. Out of no where a voice on the loud speaker said, "And we need to see Elena Rushing in the guidance office immediately." That’s when I started freaking out.

I don't think I did anything. Oh no, what if something happened? Oh God! I walked straight to the guidance office with a horrible feeling in my stomach. I nearly tripped when I walked in the front doors.

"Can I help you?" The secretary asked

"Uh, I'm Elena. I was called up here," I told her.

"Oh yes, Elena. Right this way."

The secretary led me to the counselor's office. Our High School is so big that there are specified counselors for students that go by last name. P, Q, R, S, and T last names all have the same counselor. The secretary knocked on the door.

"Mrs. Stewart, Elena is here."

"Thanks send her in," Mrs. Stewart said.

I walked slowly and timidly in the room. I was terrified! I knew kids went to the counselor when things were wrong with scheduling and problems at home and different things like that. Recently I had trouble in my math class because of this guy named Nick. He’s the one I was really waiting for in the gym. I was worried that one of my teachers, or maybe even my math teacher had sent a note to the counselor talking about my lack of focus.

"Have a seat." Mrs. Stewart told her. "Do you have any idea why I've called you up here?"

"No. Did I do something wrong?" I asked her. I knew something was wrong, but the last thing I wanted to do was admit to something that didn’t have to be brought up.

"Are you familiar with this?” She asked as she pulled something from her desk. It was the Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge album by My Chemical Romance.

"Yes I know what that is... I own it."

Mrs. Stewart looked at me with a very stern face. "Are you familiar with the members of this band?"

"Sort of, I own the CD and I know things about each of the band members."

"I see..." Mrs. Stewart said as she put the CD away.

"What is the point of this?” I asked. I couldn’t really come up with a logical reason in my mind why my favorite band, or even my music preference would have any consolation for anything. I was starting to get frustrated.

"I'm getting to it. We have a couple of people who need to speak with you. You have to be completely honest with them when they ask you questions. Can you handle this?"

"I'm pretty sure." At this point I knew my frustration was evident. But how ridiculous and pointless is it to bring a student to a guidance counselor because they like a band that my not quite be what society approves of, but at the same time, it is no business of their own.

"Well you need to be absolutely sure."

"I'm sure."

Oh great, I thought to myself. Just what I need, some stupid adult coming into a counselor’s office to talk to me about a band that may not be morally fit for me because they talk about death, suicide, and broken hearts. At that point I wasn’t even afraid. I knew that no person was going to be able to walk in that room and tell me what I’m feeling. All kinds of thoughts were running through my mind. A man or woman was going to walk in that room, sit down across from me, and ask me if I am having problems at home or some kind of problem at school. They were going to analyze me based on what answers I gave them and their own assumptions based on my physical appearance and the music that I was listening to.

"Okay, you can come in now," Mrs. Stewart said rather loudly. I was ready for it. I was completely prepared for someone to talk to me. My defenses were up and I decided that if they tried to attack me because of my personal decisions, I was going to attack right back. I was ready. I was on the edge.

I heard the door open and I heard footsteps coming into the room. I just looked down at my hands. I invisioned what I was hearing. There were more than just one set of footsteps. It was two people. Maybe three. No more than three though. They didn’t talk. They walked slowly. I glanced to look at their shoes. They didn’t look professional. One was wearing a pair of reboks. I knew at that point that it wasn’t anyone I was going to have to worry about. But then another though came in my mind. It had to have been someone my age.

Who could they have possibly called to come to the counselor’s office to talk to me, that is of my age. How dare they? Who do they think they are, having another teenager decide what is wrong with me?

"Hello," A familiar voice said.

I looked up and saw Mikey, Gerard, and Frank of My Chemical Romance.

"Oh my God, what are you guys doing here?!" I asked them. I was surprised, and caught completely off guard. I had been thinking the worst, and my thoughts weren’t even on the map.

"Someone called our manager and we're supposed to put on a concert because it’s someone's birthday this weekend," Gerard said.

I smiled. I knew he was talking about mine. "Who called you?"

"Some boy named Danny. I can't remember his last name at the moment," Frank replied.

Almost instantly, Mrs. Stewart’s door flew open and Danny ran through the doors. He jumped right on my lap while I was sitting on the chair. I made a loud “ooof” sound.

"Danny... oh my God thank you sooooooo much."

"And you say I never do anything for you. Look who's over there. Look, look hoe!"

"I know! I know its My Chemical Romance!!"

"Yeah, uh-huh. They're gonna put on a show on the roof!!"

Danny jumped up and started jumping around, and hitting me on the legs. He was trying to get me to get up and react in my crazy obsessive manner. But I didn’t. I just smiled like a five year old in a candy store and watched him in astonishment.

"You are a crazy child."

"Okay Danny, that is quite enough. Go on back to class now." Mrs. Stewart told him.

"Bye Danny."

"He seems really cool." Mikey said to me.

"Yeah he is. I've known him since elementary school. He's great. Wow, I don't think you realize how cool I think this is. When I first came in here, I thought something horrible was going to happen. But this is one of the best things ever."

I got up and properly introduced myself. I hugged all of them. I was all smiles as we sat and talked about the setup, the plan, and everything else that was going to happen at the end of the day. But I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone. So not only was it a surprise for me, but it was supposed to be a surprise for everyone. It was going to be really hard to keep it a secret from Bennie though. He was the one person that I told everything under the sun to. At that point though, I realized how important this secret was, and I was beyond excited.