Roof-Top Romance

GYM CLASS HERO

I went back to my class and I was the happiest person in the world. I’m sure people were confused as to why I was so happy. It was rare that a student would get called over the entire High School campus to go to the office and then they return to class happy. It just doesn’t quite add up right.

Bennie was in the gym when I got back from the office.

"Hey where were you?" Bennie asked.

"Uh, I had to go to the office," I told him. Usually he can read guilt on my face, but since I wasn’t technically lying, I suppose he didn’t really see a reason to suspect anything aside from what I was saying. Besides, I didn’t really lie. I just left out some very important details.

"Oh. Dude, oh my God... I was watching Fuse last night and My Chemical Romance was on. Dude they suck live."

"I don't care. I still really like them. I don't think they sound bad."

He gave me his signature look of, “What the heck, yeah they do.”

"Okay whatever. So are you ready to go play some football?"

"Hell yeah, I'm f'n pumped! Staci pissed me off and I’m ready for some football."

Bennie kept talking but eventually a guy named Nick walked into the gym. I personally think he looks exactly like Gerard back during the “I’m Not Okay (I Promise) video days. I stared for a moment until he looked at me. The last thing I wanted was negative attention from him. He didn’t know me, I didn’t know him, and I didn’t want him to think I was some crazy girl because I was staring at him. I just smiled at him and casually said hello. He said hello back and I made my way to the side doors to play some football.

* * *

The bell rang to signal the end of first period. I changed out of her Gym clothes, which were all wet and muddy from the grass outside, and got myself ready to go to my next class. It was band and to be honest, I didn’t really want to go. Nick was in there with me. He was in my section. But something about knowing that my favorite band was sitting just yards away from me in an office made me want to skip class. I mean honestly, how many other chances would I have to do this?

When I walked in the front doors the secretary looked up from her paperwork and asked, "Back so soon?"

"I was supposed to meet someone in Mrs. Stewart's office," I told her. It was a straight up lie and I’m sure she figured that it was as well, but she let me go anyways.
"Okay, go ahead on in."

I walked in still smiling my cheesy little smile. The guys were sitting where they were when I had left just an hour before.

"Mrs. Stewart, would you mind if I talked to them for a bit about today? I have an idea." I told her.

"Why yes. I'll be down the hall if you need me," She replied as she was leaving.

"So what are your ideas?" Gerard asked me.

"That's funny," I said back to him. "Like I'm ever going to get a chance to sit and talk with you guys again. I just wanted one on one time with you guys."

"Nice," Frank said.

"That is a good point," Mikey said. "I would skip a class to talk to a band too."
We all laughed.

"I am so happy that I get to hang with you for a bit. You guys are so good. And Gerard, I'm sorry you and your girlfriend broke up. I got your email."

At first, Gerard didn’t say anything. He didn’t really make any kind of facial expression aside from a straight face. I was worried that perhaps that subject was a bit too touchy for our first conversation. But really I didn’t know where to go with anything. I wanted to tell them exactly what I thought of them. I’ve always known things I would want to say if I ever had the chance. But as soon as I had the opportunity, I went blank.

"I'm not trying to interrupt, but our bus is parked not far from here if you want to hang out there. I hate school," Frank told them.

"Yeah it's pretty boring. I wouldn't mind going, but so that we aren't seen, I'll take us through a back way. No one will see us go."

Gerard never really commented about my statement. I think everyone just kind of covered up my mistake and continued on.

I stood up and led them to the breezeway. It went from the very top of the school to the bottom, and it was the only place that you could really get away with being without getting yelled at by a teacher for being out of class. I took them through Shank Hall and we walked past my Spanish class. Her door was shut, so I know she didn’t see us. Her classroom is at the very end of the building, and there are doors directly next to her classroom door so it was easy to get out of the school. Going along that side took you to the mini football field and to the back parking places where the bus supposedly was.

It wasn’t hard to find. The parking lot in between Filburn Hall and Shank hall was very small. There were a few teachers’ cars there, but it was empty except for their large orange and black bus. They invited me on the bus and I accepted willingly. Gerard gave me a small tour of the bus, showing me the general area where they spent most of their time. I found it hard to believe that at least 5 people were living on that thing at a time with such a small amount of personal space.

Of course I had to open my big mouth to all of them and say, "I guess I'll just throw it out there that I'm obsessed with all of you. And yeah, I kind of have a thing for Gerard."
They all laughed except for Gerard. He didn’t look very happy. He looked more angry than anything. I felt really stupid at that point. I knew the first thing he had to think was that I was some stupid obsessive fan girl that was just going to stare at him and drool all over myself because I was in his presence. The only thing I could think to do was try to put into words exactly what I was trying to say.

“Gerard, I really didn’t mean it the way it sounded. I mean yes I do have a thing for you. But it’s not how it sounds. I think you are cute and what not, but I’m not obsessed with you and I’m not crushing on you because I understand our age difference. Really I guess I look up to you is what I should have said. I really do, too. I’m not just trying to cover up my stupid mistake. I’ve read a lot about you and I’ve heard a lot of your interviews and I agree with a lot of your views on things, such as drugs and alcohol. And I admire you for what you decided to do, and how you were able to use your experience to benefit you. Please believe me; I’m not insane over here. I’ve just always wanted to tell you how large of a figure you are in my life. Although this is only our first time meeting, I feel like I already know you because of everything that I’ve read. You are a brilliant human being and I suppose saying that I admire you for all that you do is really what I should have said in the beginning. Thank you for everything.”

“Well that’s completely different from what you said before.” Frank said.

“Yeah, I know. I’m not always great with words. I apologize. But you guys are really the number one thing in my life, and I’m still kind of bewildered by the fact that all of you are sitting here with me.”

"Well, I really appreciate you clarifying what you meant. To be honest, I really did think that you were going to be like those other girls that scream our names and have all kinds of other unhealthy obsessions. But I am flattered that you think so highly of me, and of us, and of all that we do. It means a lot to hear those kinds of compliments rather than the ones from girls that scream “you are sexy” and “I want to fuck you” and other strange things like that.” Gerard told me.

“Yeah, I generally try to avoid saying things like that. It’s so awkward hearing those things. I think most of the time people blurt out things without realizing what they really are saying. It’s completely ridiculous and immature.”

“I agree. They just sound stupid. I mean come on, we are all so much older than all of them and we surely aren’t interested in being pedophiles,” Mikey chimed in.
“I agree. Besides, it would be too hard to be in a relationship with someone that is a crazed fan. It’s too hard to tell if they really want me for who I am, because they don’t know me personally at all. They would just be interested for me for the money or the fame. That’s not really what I’m looking for.” Gerard said.

“So are all of you guys in real relationships then?” I asked.

Just as Gerard was ready to speak, a brick was thrown at one of the windows. (Thank God they were indestructible) I screamed and everyone dropped to the floor.

"Is everyone okay?" Frank asked.

"Yeah we're good." Gerard told him.

Then another was thrown. But there was no one around. Ray came out of the back and said, "What the hell is all that banging? And who is that?"

"The banging is some asshole throwing bricks at the bus and I am Elena. I am the reason you guys are here." I said to him.

"Well I'm very happy to meet you, but that's pissing me off," he said.

Two more were thrown. Ray opened the door and yelled out, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Instantly, a brick landed at his feet. It had a note on it saying, “We don’t like shitty bands. Get the fuck out of our town.”

"Oh shit," He yelled. "Maybe we should go."

“What is it, Ray?” Gerard asked.

“There was a note on that last one. It said that they don’t like shitty bands and it says to get the fuck out. Maybe we should get out of here.”

“But you guys aren’t a shitty band. What the hell?” I yelled.

“Obviously someone doesn’t want us here. Perhaps we really should go,” Gerard said. He seemed to be weighing the options of staying and leaving in his mind.

"Can I go with you? Please?" I asked.

“Uh, Elena, are you sure that’s a good idea? You would be skipping out on school. That would look bad on our parts because someone would manipulate the story, and it could really be more trouble than what it’s really worth…” Gerard said.

“Oh please Gerard? Can I please go with you guys? We won’t be gone long. And it won’t be a big problem. It’s not like we’re never coming back… please?”

"Yeah, fine you can, but we need to get the hell away from here." Ray told her. His tone was very frustrated and from what I could see, he just wanted me to shut up.

Mikey started the bus and drove off. One more brick was thrown and it hit the bus. By that time, we were all confused and angry. I sat down on the floor near a couch and used my phone to call my mom. I informed her on the incident. She didn’t believe me at first. She didn’t believe that I was actually sitting on the bus of My Chemical Romance. But I let her talk to Gerard and she was soon convinced. She didn’t really make a big deal out of the situation. I’m sure she really didn’t know how to react to it all. But she let me go off with them, not really knowing much information.

"So where are we going to go?" I asked.

"Hell if I know. Let's just get on the highway and go from there," Mikey said to her.

"So who did you call?" Frank asked.

"Oh, I called my mom. She knows I’m with you guys but she didn’t really believe me at first. I would assume she wants me home safe, and probably soon. But it's only Thursday. As long as I am home by 2:00 on Saturday, then it's all good."

We all shared a laugh.

"Well I don't want you to get in trouble and it would probably freak your mom out with you being on a bus with five random guys," Ray told me.

"No, it's cool. I totally trust you guys."

"Maybe we should just take you home. I have no idea what was going on back there, but I want to know you are safe," Gerard said.

"Well I appreciate your concern, but wouldn't it be easier for you to know I'm safe if I'm right here with you?"

Gerard smiled. "That was pretty clever. You really want to be with us don't you?"

"Hell yeah I want to be with you..." I mumbled under my breath.

"What was that?"

"Nothing, yes I do want to be with you guys. Gosh that was really weird. Now I'm worried about you guys. I can't stay forever and surely I don't want anything to happen to you guys..."

"You don't have to worry about us, as long as we're on the bus, we are safe."

"Well I don't know how much longer we are going to be on it. We are running out of gas." Mikey told them.

"Oh shit, get off at the next exit so we can get some." Ray said.

"Um hello, what if whoever was throwing the bricks followed us? Then we're really screwed." Frank pointed out.

"So much drama," Bob says.

"Oh you so missed it Bob. We were chillin' with Elena in the school and smart one got the idea to go to the bus. So we did and someone was throwing bricks at the bus. So now we're trying to get the hell out of here and we're out of gas." Mikey told Bob.

Bob started laughing. "Wait, that's not funny. Hi Elena."

I waved gently to him. I was a little flustered because it wasn’t funny. I wasn’t really worried about my life being in danger or the lives of the other guys being in danger. I was more worried about the fact that we couldn’t go back to the school right now because of the stupid kids that were throwing bricks. Of all things, they threw bricks. It made me angry that they were so rude, more so than the action itself. I did hope that the bus was alright. Just because they have money doesn’t mean they want to spend it on something as pointless as huge dents in their tour bus.