Tales That Must Be Re-told

21

The time for All Time Low to hit the road again was soon approaching. Adelaide was helping Jack sort through his clothing so he could figure out what he was packing.

"I wish you'd sit down and let me do this," he said for at least the third or fourth time.

Adelaide sighed. "And I wish you'd stop saying that." She smiled slightly. "Jack, I appreciate you wanting me to relax and all, I really do. But we're piling clothes, not performing back-breaking labour."

"I wish you'd decide whether or not you're coming with us already," Jack said. "We're leaving in a week, Addy - time is running out for you to make your decision."

She sighed. "I know, I know."

Again, she ran the pros and cons through her head. Of course she would miss them terribly if she stayed home while they left again, but she was more worried that the stress and instability from tour life wouldn't be good for her or the baby. However, there was also the possibility that being away from Jack, her brother, and everyone else might even leave her worse off.

Adelaide groaned aloud in frustration. She knew one thing - she needed to reach a decision, soon.

It was one of the rare days when Adelaide and Jack weren't together. Adelaide was at her house hanging out with her brother, something she hadn't done much of in the recent weeks, and Rian was at Jack's house trying toshow help him figure out how to operate the washing machine.

"I think you pour the soap in and then start it," said Rian.

"You dink, everyone knows there needs to be water first."

"So why the hell did you call me over here, then?!"

"Because I don't know how to do any of this to save my life!" Jack exclaimed.

Rian raised an eyebrow. "And you think I do? Kara does the laundry, man. Not me."

Jack groaned and started the washing machine and poured, from his eye judgement, a reasonable amount of detergent into it.

"Speaking of which, why don't you ask Addy how? I'm sure she'd know."

He shrugged. "I don't want to bother her, she's at home chilling with Alex. I feel kinda guilty sometimes; since we've started dating, she hasn't got to see that much of him."

Rian smiled sympathetically. "Well, I guess I can see your point, but I don't think it's bothered him that much. I mean, I'm sure he would have complained about it by now, or something. You know how Alex is."

Again, Jack shrugged.

"Besides, everyone, especially Alex, likes seeing you two kids happy together. We've been waiting for it for a very long time."

This made Jack grin.

"You're really, really into her," said Rian observantly. It wasn't a question.

"Yeah, I am," said Jack quietly. He continued; out of everyone, Rian was the one that Jack knew he could say his honest thoughts to, no matter how lame or corny they sounded. "It's like... every time I look at her, I don't know. It's like I get this feeling where I can accomplish anything, and like I'm totally fulfilled in life - like she's all I need. And she also gives me this uneasy feeling, like she's way too good for me and she might leave me at any second. And, rediculous as it may seem, she still gives me fucking butterflies every time she walks into the same room." He paused and smiled sheepishly. "I could still go on but I think I've made myself sound like a big enough idiot already."

"Nah," said Rian and grinned. "It's nice to finally hear something else coming from you than rude, perverted jokes."

Jack began to throw his clothes in the washing machine.

"Hey man, can I ask you something?" asked Rian.

"Go for it."

"Is everything alright between you and Addy?"

Jack turned around, frowning a little. "Yeah, is there a reason why it shouldn't be?"

Rian shrugged. "I dunno, she just seems a little vacant lately, like something's on her mind constantly. And she isn't jumping up an down from anticipation of touring; she isn't even sure if she's coming. You guys aren't fighting or anything, are you?"

Stupid Rian and his stupid perceptiveness, thought Jack venomously. Why can't he be oblivious like everyone else?

"Nah, we aren't fighting," said Jack. "She's just got a lot to deal with right now. As for the tour, I think she's just a little unsure because she misses being home sometimes, and I think she especially misses her mom."

It wasn't a total lie; as a matter of fact, Jack spoke the truth (just not the entire truth).

Rian nodded in understanding, then showed off his perfectly white, straight teeth. "I was just worried about you guys, that's all."

"I appreciate it, man, but don't worry; we're good."

"Good," said Rian. "I don't think I've ever seen either of you so happy, you know."

Jack smiled. "I don't think I've ever been this happy."

In the meantime, Alex and Adelaide were catching up with each other.

"I'm sorry I haven't really seen much of you lately," Adelaide said, looking up at her brother. They were sitting on his bed cross-legged and talking, something they did all the time as they were growing up.

"It's alright," said Alex. "I know how happy you guys are together, and I know that I wasn't always around tons when I had girlfriends." He smiled. "I have missed you though, Adds."

"I know," she said quietly. "I've missed you too."

"So why haven't you made up your mind yet?"

Adelaide mentally cursed; she knew her brother was going to ask her that. She shrugged. "I just kind of feel like staying here for a bit."

Alex raised his eyebrow. "By yourself?"

"Yeah. No. I don't know," she said honestly. "I was thinking about taking a couple weeks to maybe visit some friends and stuff," she said. "Then if I miss you guys that badly, which I'm sure I will, I can arrange a flight somewhere and meet up with you guys."

The look on her brother's face told Adelaide that he wasn't buying one word of what she was saying.

"Adds, is everything okay?" he asked, concern on his face.

"Yeah, everything's okay. Don't worry, Alex," she said and smiled, "If there was something terrible happening, you'd be the first to know."

It was true - almost. Adelaide just didn't forsee her brother jumping up and down with glee at the thought of her being pregnant. He was finally beginning to accept the fact that her and Jack were dating; she couldn't imagine his reaction to finding out about Adelaide's pregnancy. She knew she had to tell him sooner or later before she started showing, but, as proven in other situations, she didn't exactly rush into telling people things they wouldn't want to hear. This case was no different.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm still two comments short but I decided to let that slide since I went so long without updating. This time, however, ten comments or no chapter 22.

And with commenting - not that I don't appreciate the people who comment, because I really do, but I've noticed it's always the same people. I'd love to start seeing some new commenters as well. :]