Tales That Must Be Re-told

25

After quite a while, Adelaide managed to calm herself down a little. Maybe this would work out for the best in the end - afterall, she knew she wasn't quite ready to have a baby. Though the idea had grown on both her and Jack, Adelaide decided she would rather wait for a better time - when they were more settled and weren't living a crazy touring life. That is, if we get that far, Adelaide couldn't help but think as a conclusion to her thoughts.

"I was so worried," Jack whispered into Adelaide's ear after she had stopped crying and the two were laying there in silence for a few moments.

Unable to think of a response, she nuzzled her head into Jack's chest. He kissed her on the head.

Sighing, Adelaide looked up at Jack and carefully studied him - he looked like he was in the exact same state as her brother. Messed up hair, stubble on his face, bags under his bloodshot eyes, pale skin. His clothing was also in poor condition. However, as well as Alex, Jack had a relieved look in his eyes.

"Did I lose it right away?" asked Adelaide in a voice just above a whisper.

Jack closed his eyes and nodded. "The doctors told me they did everything they could, but they couldn't save it. The impact was too harsh."

Before they could converse any further, a grumpy-looking nurse came into the room and shot them a disapproving look. "I'm not sure we allow that," she said.

"I'm not sure that I care," snapped Adelaide.

Pursing her lips, the nurse changed Adelaide's IV bag. Telling them that she would send the doctor to see her shortly - in a very rude tone - she left.

Jack snorted and gingerly kissed her on the lips. Resting her head on his chest again, Adelaide inhaled his familiar scent.

"Jack, go home and look after yourself," she mumbled sleepily.

"You don't want me here?" he asked in a heartbroken voice.

"No, I want you taken care of." Adelaide paused and looked up at him. "Please? I've already sent my brother home, you don't have to feel bad."

Jack sighed; his weakness was saying 'no' to her, no matter what the situation was. Growing up, he had gotten himself into a lot of situations which he rather would have avoided because of this; dressing up in girls' clothing, receiving facials, baking, and the like.

"I'll go after the doctor comes in here, how's that?"

"Deal," she said, and pecked him on the lips.

"That's all I get?" Jack asked jokingly.

"Watch it, Barakat, I'm in recovery." She smirked.

Another couple minutes filled with a comfortable silence passed until another thought crossed Adelaide's mind.

"Jack?"

"Mhm?"

"About the whole baby situation... does anyone else know? Other than us, I mean."

Jack shook his head. "No, I spoke to the doctor about it by myself." He paused. "We should tell them, though, Adelaide. It's not fair to hide this."

She nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I know... My brother's going to shit bricks and disown me, I think."

At this, Jack laughed, causing Adelaide to scowl. "It's not funny," she whined.

"You should give Alex a bit more credit, Addy," said Jack. "He's handled everything else fairly well."

"I guess you're right."

They heard footsteps reaching the doorway and looked up to see a doctor entering the room. Jack sat up and got off the bed and sat in the chair.

"Hi, Adelaide," the doctor said with a warm smile on his face. "I'm Dr. Hanson. How are you feeling?"

She shrugged. "Well, as good as I possibly could be, I suppose."

"Excellent. I'm just going to give you a quick examination, alright? Let me know if you feel any additional pain."

She nodded while he did a routine checkup; flashlight in the eyes, reflexes, et cetera.

"Um, now I do have to take a look at your ribs..."

Adelaide smiled, knowing what he was getting at. Motioning to Jack, she said, "Don't worry, he can stay."

After he was finished, the doctor asked, "Do you have any questions for me?"

"Well, I was wondering how long I have to stay, for one thing."

The doctor nodded. "Everything seems fine and your injuries are coming along nicely, but I would like to keep you here for one more day to monitor you, just to be sure."

Pulling a face, Adelaide nodded.

"Oh and not to be a pain, but is there any way I could get a different nurse?" she asked hopefully.

At this, Dr. Hanson laughed. "Shift change is in about fifteen minutes, so you'll have a different nurse for this room."

"Thank you, Dr. Hanson."

"You're welcome. Unless anything else comes up, I'll be back in here tomorrow to check you over one last time." After shaking her and Jack's hands, he left the room.

"Our deal?"

"Yeah, yeah, I know," said Jack. He stood up and kissed her. After a minute, he reluctantly pulled away.

"Eat something, take a shower, get some sleep," she told him.

"Maybe," he said and smiled. "I'll be back soon, Adds." With a last peck on the lips, Jack walked to the door. "I love you," he said after turning around.

"I love you more."

Jack shook his head, smiling, and left.

Adelaide became bored very quickly. She could only assume that her phone had been ruined in the crash, she would have no TV in her room since she had been unconscious for the duration of her stay, and she was the only patient in her room.

After thinking for a while, she became drowsy. Closing her eyes, she let sleep overcome her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to everyone who commented for the last chapter. :] Also, I'd like to thank everyone who's read and subscribed; I just took a look at the numbers today and they're quite a bit higher than I ever expected for this story. So, thank you.

I'm not going to update this story again right away because I would like to get the next couple of chapters for my Alex story out, so you can read that while you're waiting. :]

Ten comments would be pretty sweet anyway, however.

And PS, things are going to pick up in the next chapter. Promise.