Tales That Must Be Re-told

31

Needless to say, with a wedding coming up, there were lots of things to keep Adelaide (and Jack, to some degree) busy. They’d decided to wait until Warped Tour was finished to start really making any plans, because trying to accomplish anything of that sort while on tour would be next to impossible.

Back in Maryland, there was a very excited vibe coming from everyone. Alex, however, was a bit more mixed up. He was happy, of course, that his sister and best friend had both found someone, but the aspect of his best friend becoming his brother-in-law was a bit strange for him to grasp.

“Don’t get me wrong, Addy,” Alex had said to her when a few of them had decided to go for a walk in a nearby park, a result of boredom. “I really am happy for you guys, but it’s just a lot for me to wrap my head around, ya know?”

Adelaide smiled, just thankful that he hadn’t freaked out when their engagement was announced. On the contrary, Adelaide had later found out that Jack spoke about it to Alex before he’d proposed, earning himself a few brownie points in Alex’s books.

“Of course I understand, Alex,” said Adelaide.

“I mean, seriously,” said Alex, looking over to where Jack was, running after a group of ducks, making loud quacking noises. The two stared for a few seconds, then turned to each other and sniggered.

“You’re engaged to that, Addy,” he said, laughing.

“Yeah, I know,” she chuckled. “And as embarrassing as he is, I wouldn’t change him for the world.”

---------- x ----------

Most of the wedding planning had been left to Adelaide, assisted by her and Jack’s mothers. It wasn’t that Jack didn’t want to help, but he more or less came along with them for moral support - by no fault of his own, it wasn’t like he was the most useful in trying to pick out flower arrangements or bridesmaid dresses.

Being who she was, Adelaide was allowing herself to become very stressed out over all the plans. The three of them were in a flower shop, five minutes from their appointment, and Jack was nowhere to be found. Not that they would be missing out on any expertise in his absence, but it was the fact that Jack had told Adelaide he would be there and wasn’t that was upsetting her.

“I’m sure he’ll be here in a few minutes, hun,” said Marie, seeing the expression on Adelaide’s face. “You know how he is - always last minute.”

Adelaide sighed and slumped into a nearby chair. Thankfully, after choosing flowers, all that was left was to pick out a cake, then all the nightmare planning would be finished.

She looked at the clock on the wall, which read 9:58, and rolled her eyes. Suddenly, they heard the door of the shop open and the bell jingle, and revealed Jack walking towards them with two Starbucks cups in hand. Adelaide stood up and Jack handed her a cup. She smiled gratefully and kissed him.

“Earl Grey tea latte?”

“Yep,” said Jack. “I thought you could use one.”

“You thought correctly,” said Adelaide and took a sip. “Thanks, Jack.”

“No problem,” he said with a smile and sipped his own beverage.

“I thought you were going to be late.”

Jack rolled his eyes at this. “The damn line in Starbucks took fifteen minutes - if it weren’t for that, I would have been here sooner.”

Before they could converse further, the florist came out to greet them, and the group got to work. Finally, forty-five minutes later, they’d decided on center pieces with purplish-pink Casablanca lilies, accented with white roses and a few yellow flowers, and Adelaide’s bouquet with the same colour scheme.

“What’s next on the agenda?” asked Jack as they all left the shop.

“We pick the cake,” said Adelaide. Jack perked up at this.

“You mean cake tasting?” he asked. Adelaide laughed.

“Yes, Jack, we get to taste it.”

He grinned. “I knew there was eventually going to be payback for me tagging along.”

They got through the cake tasting rather smoothly, an eager Jack glad to finally voice his opinion on something. Adelaide had figured that since she had pretty much chosen everything else, she would leave the choosing of their cake up to him. They eventually decided on a three-tier cake with strawberry cream filling - the icing accentuation was, of course, purple with a bit of yellow, to match the rest of the wedding’s colour scheme.

“So, we’re finished?” asked Jack as they walked towards her car - Marie and Adrianne had taken another.

“We are,” said Adelaide with a nervous smile.

“Hey, you okay?” asked Jack, turning towards her. They’d now reached their car.

“Oh, I’m peachy,” said Adelaide. “A little nervous, naturally. But I’m excited.”

“Addy, you’ve got nothing you be nervous about,” Jack told her as he looked into her eyes. “This wedding is going to be perfect, I promise.”

Adelaide smiled as Jack leaned down and kissed her. They heard whistling and clapping from their mothers across the street, making both of them roll their eyes. They tried not to act too couple-y in front of their parents.

“You kids are just too damn cute,” called Adrianne.

“Thanks for the input, mom,” Adelaide said and rolled her eyes again.

Adrianne laughed. “Any time, sweetie. See you back at the house.”

So, the plans were set. Their invitations had been sent, flowers arranged, cake paid for, food chosen, church and minister booked. Alex was the best man and emcee, and Adelaide had chosen Hannah as her maid of honour, seeing as she wasn’t close friends with any girls, and they’d grown increasingly closer over Warped Tour. Both of their dresses were selected, and Zack, Rian, and Matt were going to be ushers. The only thing to happen now was for the wedding to actually take place.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of a filler, maybe? I'm sorry. I just didn't want to cram everything into one chapter and have it be super long.
Next chapter is the last. Sad? I'm not. (:
Oh, and for those of you who read my Rian one-shot, what are your thoughts on me possibly turning it into a short story? (Tell me on the comment page for that, and not this story, please!)