Status: Completed

Bottom of the Blackest Hole

Fit

“Dick.”

“Vagina.”

“Cow.”

“Dog.”

“Ba-”

“Ahem,” the receptionist interrupted. I looked down at my feet in embarrassment. Josh grinned at her and I could see that she blushed.

“Hello. I wanted to ask if there were any close restaurants around here?”

“I-uh-there’s-uh-” she stuttered stupidly. Josh smirked at her.

“Yes! There’s an um, restaurant in the hotel. J-just around the corner,” she finished.

“Thank you,” he said sweetly, patted her on the hand before walking to the direction she told him. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes behind his back as I followed him.

“A table for two please,” he said to male host. Josh then slung his arm possessively around my shoulders, “She’s my wife,” he stretched out the word ‘wife’. The host wasn’t affected by this action. He winked at me.

“Wait five minutes please.”

Josh sighed before dragging me down to sit on a chair. I was practically on this lap. His arms were wrapped around my waist. He placed his forehead on my back. I tuned out his actions.

I surveyed the lobby boredly. Everyone looked so rich. Then my eyes stopped on a certain woman. My breath caught as the woman ushered a five year old to come sit back next to her.

I know her. I’d know that brown haired color, that structure of a face anywhere. I memorized it.

She was Diane Rich.

“You okay?” Josh said quietly. He must’ve noticed that I became tense. I shook my head quickly.

“What’s wrong?” he shifted me so I was half facing him. Worry was etched across his face. I shakily lifted my hand up at the woman.

He followed my eyes and hand direction, “She looks kinda like you.” My breath caught in my throat. That confirmed it.

“Who is she?” his eyes still not leaving her.

“My mother,” I whispered.

--

“Go talk to her,” Josh said again.

“No!” I huffed out.

“Well, it’s not really helping seeing that we’ve been staring at her for five minutes,” he stated, “Go talk to her, Bailey.”

He pulled me up from the seat and forcefully guided me towards their table.

“B-but look! They’re still eating. Couldn’t I talk to her when she’s alone and not with her family?” I whined.

You’re her family.” He pressed on as he continued to drag me over, “Look. She leaving to go to bathroom, I think. Follow her,” and with a final push, I found myself trailing after her.

I began washing my hands, waiting for Mom to come out. Mom. Mom. That sounded…weird. I found myself patting my still flat stomach. “I will never leave you.”

I could then hear the sound of a different faucet running. She dried her hand and walked out. I mentally smacked myself and ran after her.

“Wait!” I yelled out just as she was about to turn around the corner. She turned around slowly.

“Yes?”

“Um, I’m Bailey B – I mean, Anderson.” I could see something flashed in her eyes before she looked at me.

“Uh, nice to meet you Bailey.”

“So, all boys, huh?” she looked at me confusedly. I motioned towards the five year old boy running around the table and a fifteen year old boy on his phone.

“Oh! Oh yes.” She smiled fondly at them. My heart gave a quick squeeze.

“No girls?” I choked out. Her smile faltered.

“I’m sorry but do I know you?” I nodded my head slowly.

“I mean, no. It’s just you look familiar. I think I saw you in one of my parent’s yearbook.” I lied. She looked unconvinced.

“Oh really? Who?” she challenged.

“Uh…,” I began, “Shirley Bethford,” I said. Shirley was Mrs. B. They weren’t friends but went to the same school.

“Oh,” she muttered.

“So, no girls?” I repeated. She looked at me strangely. Then her eyes saddened.

“One,” she said and smiled weakly, “I think that if she was here, she’d be your age.”

“What happened to her?” I quietly asked. Her shoulders slumped and she looked past me.

“I left her.”

“Do you ever regret?” I found myself asking.

“Every single second of my life,” she whispered. She quickly rubbed her tears away.

“Oh, my. This is so strange. I don’t even know you!” she laughed nervously. She started to walk away.

“Wait,” I said quietly. She stopped but didn’t turn.

“Mom.” Just saying that made my knees buckle. But instead of falling down, I found a pair of arms catching me. I looked up to see Josh.

He lifted me up and I found myself leaning towards him for support. “Mom,” I said again, more clearly. She turned around, her eyes brim with tears.

“What did you say?” she asked shakily. I clutched onto Josh more. His hold tightened around me.

“Mom,” I repeated. She slowly walked towards me.

“Bailey,” she said softly. She touched my cheek with one hand. Then she touched me with two hands.

“I’m sorry.” She whimpered out. I didn’t let go of Josh. I kind of just stood there, watching as she cried quietly. The thing was, I didn’t want to let go of him. He was like a life jacket.

Mom started to quiet down and only a couple of hiccups were released. “I know why you did it.” Her eyes widened, “I know what he did to you.” One of my hands freed itself from tugging on Josh’s shirt and I pat her arm.

“Did he? Did he do the same thing to you too?”

I shook my head. “He didn’t,” I confirmed. I could tell that Josh was lost by the way he was looking back and forth.

“I…I ran away from home.” She didn’t say anything. Her eyes washed over me and she looked proud and understanding. Mom’s eyes flickered towards Josh.

“Oh. Uh, this is Josh.” I introduced her. One of his arms let go off me to shake her hand hesitantly.

“Is he your boyfriend?” she asked and smiled at him.

“I’m her husband,” he stated. She let out a gasp.

“You’re only twenty-one!” she exclaimed. I had the urge to rub my neck pathetically.

“Since yesterday. We married yesterday. We came here for our honeymoon.” I said quickly. I didn’t think it really made a difference.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there,” I gave her a small smile to reassure her that it was alright. She looked back and forth from me to Josh.

“You’re pregnant, aren’t you?” she accused, narrowing her eyes. How the hell does she know?

I could feel Josh nodding his head.

“Well, come on then! I want to introduce you to my family.”

“Uh, no mom. One of the reason I told you that I’m your daughter was for you to know that I’m still alive. I don’t want to complicate your life. I’m pretty sure that you didn’t tell your…husband and sons about your past.” She shook her head glumly.

“I won’t see you again?” I shrugged.

“We’ll see.”

With that, she smiled and walked away. I let out a sigh.

“How about we go sightseeing tomorrow? We’ll order room service and watch cheesy, sappy movies today.”

“I’d like that,” I said truthfully. He took my hand and walked to the elevator.

Once we closed the door and in the suite, I hugged him.

“What are you doing?” he asked carefully.

“A thank you,” I mumbled against his chest. I could feel his arms encircling around me. After that, I stood on my tippy toes and kissed him on the corner of his mouth. I was just about to walk away when Josh snatched my arm.

“That’s it? A hug and a kiss that’s not even on the lips? That’s what I get for making you talk with your mom who you never saw?”

“Hey!” I glared at him, “You should be happy to get that much.” I wriggled my arm from his grasp.

He suddenly spun me around. My back was bent behind his arm and he leaned down to kiss me full on the lips. I gasp out, letting him enter my mouth. I held onto his neck as he did to my waist. I wanted to pull away to reserve my pride but I just couldn’t. His lips were so soft and warm. And then most importantly, whenever our lips mold, we just fit.